The name of worms caused from fleas?

Trica ReynaTrica Reyna JacknsonvilleMember Posts: 280
edited 27 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Are they Hook worms or tapeworms? Lucky us we got fleas than the lucky worms that come with it. (fleas are gone yay =D> ) Moms was going to treat us tonight but the worm medications was expired. Mom Just wants to know what the actual name of the worm is... eekkk Those ugly white ones

Comments

• Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 21 August, 2010
    They are tapeworms. It's very common, but you need to have your cat(s) treated - humans can contract tapeworms, too! Good luck!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 21 August, 2010
    Yeah, those tapeworms are bad... Meowma used Sentryhc Worm Xplus. Active ingredients are, Pyrantel pamoate/praziquantel. Now the one she used was labeled for Small Dogs & Puppies. Mom knows that the Pyrantel pamoate is what she knows as Strongid T and she checked on Google to make sure the other was safe for cats FIRST! She used the orange box with the beagle on it. Here is a link to Petsmart, it even has the Cat Tapeworm med on the same page, so you can see it is/was safe. Now I have Advantage on me to prevent fleas.. http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=wormers&origkw=wormers&sr=1 So good luck and please let us know how things go.
  • Trica ReynaTrica Reyna JacknsonvilleMember Posts: 280
    edited 22 August, 2010
    Thanks I actually bought those pills lastnight.... I'm debting if I should give them the pills now or wait until the 4th when I retreat them for flees... because the worms and flees can be a never ending cycle... Does the D-worm stuff work for tape worms because I do have some but it doesn't say tape worm on the lable. I just might treat them tonight an retreat the tapeworm in a month to be safe.
    edited 24 August, 2010
    Please tell me the exact name of the pills you bought.And what is in them. Yes you can give the pills now and again in two weeks. Then two weeks after that if you still see worms. All worms cycle every two weeks. Meowma did that with me, and then the vet dewormed me last Sat. but not for tapes, just because it was part of the package price and was included . It will not hurt to be dewormed often. Please let us know how things go. |:|
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 25 August, 2010
    Yesterday my foster mom freaked out when she saw me running around the room whith a white and black string-like thing coming out from my behind. Took me to vet(and the thing) it was a tapeworm. He gave me prizaquantel, brand name is Drontal. We already were dewormed with pyrantel when we were rescued but still have fleas.Vet said pyrantel doesn\'t work too well for tape as Drontal (the worm was white, got clay litter stuck to it that\'s why it looked b&w)
    edited 27 August, 2010
    You are quiet right Bebop, (Love your name). That is why you have to use two different dewormers and both again at two weeks apart.