Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

UGH

P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
edited 30 December, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone but me feel overwhelmed with kitty "health" food and trying to do the best thing for the kids. I kind of miss the "good old days" where I went to the grocery store, grabbed the deli cat or whatever I was feeding cause the cat liked it and was somewhat ignorant on doing better (not to mention my last cat lived to a ripe age of 16 on deli cat). Back to my reading...............

Comments

• Kaci CKaci C ElyriaMember Posts: 511
    edited 30 December, 2006
    My cats won't eat the "health" food, they'd starve themselves first. When Nibbler was alive I was starting him on good food but you could tell how much more he liked the other food. My opinion on it, if your cat is doing good, living long and healthy feed whatever you and what THEY do good on and what they like. Cats don't usually give in to a big food switch like dogs do, they are much more picky. I've noticed there are people on here who are just here to help and aren't pushy but some are just food snobs which you just tune out. Everyone is different, and every cat is different :)
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 30 December, 2006
    Yes, Winnie, it can be VERY overwhelming!! I didn't realize until very recently just how many different types of premium foods there are. And some people take it a step further and even feed raw food to their kitties. We're still a little too afraid to take that step, but we have found some tasty premium food. My Mommy went to Florida over the holidays and she went food shopping for me. She bought me a bunch of cans of Wellness, all different varieties. So far, I've loved every flavor I've tried! I like it even better than the Blue Buffalo that I was eating before. Since I keep losing weight because of my FeLV and FIP, Mommy keeps trying to find a high quality food I will not snub. It's not always easy. If I were allowed, I'd eat Fancy Feast and Meow Mix for the rest of my life, but those foods give me crystals in my pee pee and that's the main reason why Mommy decided it was time for change. I haven't had any more crystals since switching to high quality foods. The Blue Buffalo was tasty for a little while, but I've started snubbing the dry. So in Florida, Mommy bought a giant bag of Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. She's read that it's very palatable. I hope it is. I really really really hope I like it. I'm also going to be trying Innova and California Natural canned foods. Anymew, Mommy has spent many hours reading through various forums and food manufacturer webpages. She has also had some time to discuss premium foods with some relatives who eat only organic natural foods themselves as well as feed high quality to their pets. We even joined a raw feeders group on Yahoo because we may eventually switch to raw. Some cats do live a long time on store brand foods. But knowing that cats are obligate carnivores, Mommy just can't live with herself feeding us a food with primary ingredients of corn, wheat, and soy, which are the first 3 ingredients in so many mid-low quality foods. She also tries to steer clear of byproducts because you just don't have any way of knowing what exactly is in the food. Especially when meat byproducts is what is listed. Did those parts come from a cow? A pig? A dog? A horse? A chicken? There's just no way to tell. And I suppose that is partly why some people do feed raw, along with it being what cats in the wild would eat. Sorry I'm not being very helpful. There's just so much to consider when choosing a diet for your kitty, and we are still reading up on all the aspects of feline nutrition. The list of high quality foods is seemingly endless. You've got Solid Gold, Blue Buffalo, Petguard, Pet Promise*, Innova*, California Natural (Innova & it are made by the same company, Natura Pet), Eagle Pack, Felidae, Wysong*, Nature's Variety, Nature's Logic*, Wellness, Merrick, Newman's Own, Canine Caviar (meat-only food for dogs and cats), By Nature Organics, Chicken Soup, Fromm*, and I'm sure there are more that I am leaving out. The ones with the stars are the ones my Mommy's health-food-nut relatives feed their kitties. Good luck in your quest to find a good food, and if you decide to stick with a lower quality food, that's fine too, as long as Winnie is healthy. The key in selecting a food is to pick one that Kitty will eat and that you can afford. My Mommy really has to scrounge to afford our food, and she ends up buying less things for herself. She hasn't bought any new clothes for herself in over a year, unless you count the clothes she bought a few months ago at the Good Will ;) Part of what you feed also depends on where you live, unless you choose to order on-line. That's what Mom's going to have to do with us because of the aforementioned foods, Blue Buffalo is the only one Mommy can buy locally. But where Mom's relatives live, in Brandon, Florida, you can find practically every single brand mentioned in the stores there. That's one of the many, many reasons Mommy wishes she lived in a larger city in a different state! Purrs, Lucky Boo
  • SuKoRoSuKoRo SouthernMember Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    edited 30 December, 2006
    My mom goes nuts when she goes to the pet food stores. There are so many shelves filled with so many good brands and formulas within brands. She wants to try them all on me. The only thing that stops her from experimenting with all this different food is she knows she\'s gonna upset my tummy by constantly switching. The thought of barfies all over the carpets keeps her in check. I get one type of dry and one type of wet food and she\'s sticking with them.
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 30 December, 2006
    Yeah, we don't routinely switch dry either. But since I stopped eating very much of my Blue Buffalo, Mommy is gradually switching me and my siblings to Solid Gold. Switching canned foods regularly doesn't give me or my siblings tummy troubles, thankfully. And Mom has read that it's good to get a variety, even if only from switching formulas within a brand.
  • P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
    edited 30 December, 2006
    thank you everycat (and their mommies) sorry about venting this morning, it is just overwhelming, particularly since my cats only weigh 12 and 11 lbs, we arent talking 20+ lb cats, the vet made this a lot harder than I feel it needs to be. I do agree on the grain as a main ingredient being bad no matter what, which is why they are on Eukanuba Chicken and Rice right now. I did do Deli cat with my previous cat, but never with Winnie or Chester, they have been on Euk since day 1. I also agree on not doing a lot switching, which is why I am leaning towards just going to the Euk weight controlled. They like what they have and I dont feel a need to upset them! I too dont like pukies on my new carpet *smile* I too live in a small town with somewhat limited choices so I have to keep that in mind also. And you are right it does NOT help!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 30 December, 2006
    Here's a good web site to learn about nutrition and what types of food are good: http://www.catinfo.org
  • Dana OPrayDana OPray TorontoMember Posts: 283
    edited 30 December, 2006
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I went to Petsmart today to get some kitten food with Lysine in it (for Assur - in hoping it helps speed recovery) and I was pretty overwhelmed by the choices, and there were FOUR reps from different premium cat foods in the store. I ended up getting Science Diet because Lysine was high up there on the ingredients, but I also got suckered into getting some Nutro kitten as well(they have a money back policy if my cats don't eat it I can return it). I also picked up some sensitive stomach/hypoallergenic kitten food for William Wallace and his trots problem .. but Bast (who is healthier at this point then every other cat in my house) has been eating Whiska's since I adopted her and refuses to eat anything else. I even tried ONE kibble mixed in with the whiska's kibble .. and she never eats the 'foreign' food. My personal thought is that as long as your cat is eating and healthy ... let sleeping cats lie ;)