Scabs on my cat\'s lower back.

Natalie ShampayNatalie Shampay ConcordMember Posts: 79
edited 28 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Bebe's got a whole bunch of scabs on her lower back. This is the second time it's happened. The first time, the vet said it was a bad flea infestation (He only found flea dirt, though) but we can't see a single thing on her. This is the second time it's happened and we can't afford to take her to the vet. We've been keeping flea product on her but this time it's really bad and she's starting to scratch them open. She's in a lot of pain from them. I want to know if it's safe to put some kind of ointment (possibly neosporin) on her back, and what her problem is. We don't know if it's stress, or allergies, etc.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 28 August, 2010
    If the vet found flea dirt, it looks like pepper, its the fleas manure, then she has fleas, and you have fleas in your house. :D Some cats have a reaction to the fleas, I believe its the fleas salavia, or something like that, Finnegan? Thats why she digs on her back, and thats why she has the scabs and they are getting raw. Never put flea products directly on her, alot of them are toxic to cats, as they lick themselfs and ingest it. And above all, never use an over the counter flea product, and never never use Hartz products. Ask your vet about Revolution, you put a drop on the back of their neck, inbetween the fur. It works great and its safe for them. I know its a little more expensive, but in the long run, it will save future vet visits, which can be costly too. You also have to get rid of the fleas in your house. The others can best tell you about that, I haven't had fleas in like a zillion years, and only got them, because a neighbor borrowed my vaccume cleaner, and their dogs had fleas. Learned, never let anyone borrow your vaccume cleaner, mol. This is going to be a project, but it can be done, and she will feel alot better, best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Natalie ShampayNatalie Shampay ConcordMember Posts: 79
    edited 28 August, 2010
    We do put the flea stuff on her neck so she can't reach it. That's the kind we used.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 28 August, 2010
    What kind is it? :D
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I can suggest a really good product that helps kitties with skin irritation. It's called Humilac spray. I used it on Alex when she had pancreatitis because she was yanking her hair out by the roots! You spray this on, it's not harmful at all, and it leaves a soothing effect on their skin and fur. You just spray a little on and rub it in. It helped Alex and made her fur nice and shiny. At least it might help the scabs heal and stop her from scratching so much. http://www.healthypets.com/humspray8oz.html