Does anyone have the cat fence in?

Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
edited 29 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hey guys I was reading online about a fence in containment system. We have lived in a rural area for Tiggers intire life he found us out here. We plan on moving to the suburbs and Im afraid he'll get killed by a car, neighbors cat etc. But hes always been a mostly outdoors cat. I can NOT keep this cat in the house. He was born and lived his whole life outside. He'll claw through a window screen slip out the door when we're comming in. We tried but he is NOT an indoor kitty. I'd like to be able to let him outside but keep him safe in our new rather large yard. Anyone have it? Have success with it? Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Sally WaldronSally Waldron Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    edited 26 August, 2010
    My new vet says that she uses the invisible fence for her cats and it works great. Not sure if that is what you are talking about. She said the only time her cat got out of it was when the battery died on his collar.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 27 August, 2010
    Sonny, that would be a great Idea! Never thought about using one of them for cats. I see where it would be the purrfect thing for cats. Yes Tigger, is that what you are asking about? I would love to know what it is myself.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 August, 2010
    I don't know anything about the kitty invisable fence, but my brother has the doggie invisable fence, and it works great! His dogs know exactly how far they can go, and he lives in development. One is a german shepard puppy, he just lost his german shepard to pancreatic cancer. He was devestated. He is as bad about his dogs as I am about my cats, thats how we were raised. He looked a long time, before he found this puppy, picked him out when he was only a few weeks old, and the breeder reserved him for my brother. They are not show dogs, but they go to puppy obedience school, and they are highly trained. The puppy already knows his name, will come when he is called, and knows sit and stay. Hope this helps, and hope your kitty loves his new yard. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 27 August, 2010
    The only problems I can see with the invisible fences are - obviously equipment failure but it also does not protect your pet from attacks in the form of animals such as dogs, coyote, or other predators from coming onto your property.
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 28 August, 2010
    I've actually seen the cat invisible fence but I don't like the idea of shocking my boy. I was talking about the fence containment system. http://www.catfencein.com/ They have two versions one to just keep your cat in and one that keeps your cat in and others out (slighty more expensive) just before I spend hundreds on this I want to know it works good
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 28 August, 2010
    We built an outdoor kennel for our cats and they access it via a catflap in a cellar window. We set up benches for sunning themselves and posts for scratching.We also hung toys on strings to stimulate them. It is not a large space but it does give the indoor cats a chance to go outside.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 29 August, 2010
    I checked out your link. I love the fence. I just do not see where I could use it. Since my Catahoula Leopard Dog, likes to climb fences. I had to get an electric cattle fence. Now if this would keep him in... I would take that down and throw it away! Just have to make sure no raccoons or strays get in because said dog will kill them. That is there nature, so I can not punish him for that. But he is GREAT with our cats and ferrets, birds and lizards. I would NEVER let him alone with my Egyptian Spiny Mice though. http://www.oregonzoo.org/Cards/EgyptianSpinyMice.htm I LOVE my Mice! No cats allowed... sry This is my edit: I am P.C's new Brother. Sry for changing cats on you. mol
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Hi Tigger :-h We just ordered the Cat Fence-In and installed it last weekend - so far we give it paws up =; We are indoor kitties but like to spend an hour or two outdoors in the backyard when we can. I was starting to jump on the fence a lot, and once went over the fence into the neighbor\'s yard :)) We had to order the tree guard, too, because we\'ve got a big oak tree in the corner of the yard that I\'ve been able to climb. The Cat Fence-In system was recommended by another Catster friend, and we know they are happy with the system, too. Feel free to pawmail us if you have any questions!