Now she\'s constipated!

Keri LewisKeri Lewis Member Posts: 113
edited 29 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hi, Well now Pickles is constipated. I mean constipated. I thought she had pooped last night (cuz she had a cling-on on her behind), but she has not. In fact, little soft poops are coming out of her, on accident. I believe she may be blocked. I feel like it's been one thing after another. She's just not eating, and that why I initially thought she wasn't going. I can just tell she's not herself. Quiet but whiney. Not wanting to eat. She doesn't even go in the litter box. In fact I've got her locked in with it right now, hoping she'd take the hint. If she didn't go last night, she hasn't gone in 4-5 days. I've given her miralax, liquilax, no dice. And of course she's eating the dry Vet food. For the time being anyway. It's all she'll eat. I AM TIRED. I feel for her and now she'll have to wait until Monday :(( Good night all.

Comments

• Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 21 August, 2010
    Oh Pickles... I am so sorry to hear this. Your Mom needs to get you to the vet as soon as she can. But she can use plain mineral oil to help pass things. It is not absorbed and is easy on the system. But please get to the vet first thing Monday. Also let us know what she decided to do and keep us informed as to how you are doing. I know Meow has paw mailed your Mom before. I hope your Meowma got some sleep!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 August, 2010
    I agree with Mac, and the others will tell you the same thing, she needs to go to the vet. :D If this has been going on for 4-5 days, she needs to go in on an er basis, as in, they need to fit you in Mon morn, so call them first thing when they open. The vet should do an x-ray, that will show if she is constipated and how much, you can actually see the poopies in there, have been thru this, and they should always show you the x-ray, and point it out. It will also show the vet, if there is a possible blockage somewhere and/or if there is something else going on in there. :D With Prowler, he too was taken in first thing, on an er basis, they did the x-ray, they showed it to me, have seem many before, and you could see the poopies in there. They gave him an enama, and kept him for the day. They put him in one of the big doggie cages, and watched him, and they said he talked to the girls back there all day, mol. He felt so much better after he went. :D He was put on Metemucil, it was either 1/4 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon, forget now which, once a day. It has to be the sugar free one and flavor free one, for a few days, to make sure it would not reoccurr. :D One cause of constipation, is feeding dry food, there is not enough moisture, per say, to process the poops. I was not sure from your post, if you have to feed her what you are, or if that is all she will eat. If she will eat it, she needs to be fed wet food, at least once a day, twice is preferred, and mix it with water, so its soupy, the extra liquid keeps her flushed out, and helps process the poops, its kinda the same as with peoples. Here is a link to help you, it goes very in depth about constipation. I hope she is feeling better, and please let us know what the vet said, she is such a pretty cat! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Keri LewisKeri Lewis Member Posts: 113
    edited 22 August, 2010
    Hello, Pickles did pass some poops last night. I've been giving her liquilax, and miralax. But it was in a pile like "cheese wiz" from the can (sorry for the gross factor). I still think she's blocked and this just went around it. She ate this morning, of course the dry vet food too. We have had experience with this too, about 6 years ago, and I got it under control with pumpkin. When she was eating the Natural Balance Chicken and Pea Dry she pooped like a champ every morning. Now since the surgery for the stones, she's been off altogether. Potty schedule, not wanting to eat, not really drinking, and just plain irritable. And yes, I would love to feed her canned but she just won't eat it. I can't have her not eating at this point, being post surgery. Once I find out what crystals we're dealing with, if struvite, I can at least experiment again with canned, maybe some raw. If oxalate, I can't chance her getting them again. This is what I've been told by 2 vets now. I hate it, but her life means more to me than me feeding the food I want. Have a good weekend. Your support means a lot!
    edited 22 August, 2010
    Oh, and yes, I am taking her to the vet first thing Monday. Believe me I don't mess around after the first bout with this. At least she's up and around today.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 August, 2010
    Gee, I guess it would be nice if I actually gave you the link, mol. :D http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=3598 Its way too early, mol, kittens got me up at 7;30am, mol. :D To increase her fluid intake, which if she has crystals, UTI's, etc, which it is imperative you keep her flushed out. You can give her 1 teaspoon baby food, chicken or turkey ONLY , the stage 1 one, thinks its beechnut, mixed with water, so its soupy, twice a day. Most cats love the baby food. Bumpurr will only eat BW dry, so I sympathize with ya on that one, so he gets the baby food, to increase his fluid intake. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 22 August, 2010
    That's not true about mineral oil not being absorbed. In fact I've found many websites with vets advising not to give it as it can easily get absorbed into the lungs and cause suffocation. I wouldn't use it! You can try some non fat cottage cheese, some canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling), some fish oil. But yes, definitely take her back because this is dangerous. Good luck, we'll be praying for her and for you tired momma!:(
    edited 24 August, 2010
    Strange Lacy, when Mom had her horses, the vets always told her to mix it with bran to help pass sand and prevent colic as it was not be absorbed. Meowma will have to check in to this as she would not want to tell anyone anything that may hurt them. Thank you.:-k And How did Pickles do on Monday at the vet? Edited for spelling.
    edited 24 August, 2010
    Hi Mac's cat! I believe it's different for horses than it is for cats. Definitely colic in horses is mega dangerous but what I've learned is that each species has very different abilities to filter things out and cats seem to be one of the most sensitive to a lot of things. Mineral oil is an essential oil and all essential oils are very toxic to cats. When absorbed through the skin, they can cause liver damage or failure in excess, when taken internally, it gets absorbed into the lungs and can suffocate them. What I usually recommend for constipation that's safer is canned pumpkin, not the pie filling, just the pumpkin itself, Kristalose or Lactulose which is used for kitties all the time. Felines' internal organs are even much different than a dog's and very, very sensitive to toxins.
    edited 25 August, 2010
    Hi guys, I just realized I didn't get back to you...a lot has been going on since my last post. I took Pickles to the vet Monday morning, and no constipation. Which is good. The vet thinks that she wasn't eating and had loose stool due to the antibiotic. She switched her to Baytril. She said to try active culture yogurt or some probiotics she gave me. Since Monday though, she's been slowly losing all interest in eating. Nothing, dry, wet, yogurt, treats, nothing. I've seen her drinking at the fountain, and have seen her pee. She has been vomiting foamy, phlegmy stuff, and now she just vomited foamy PINK stuff. Looks like I'll be calling the vet yet again. I know it's because she's not eating, and she has an empty stomach. Can I blink and this will be over???:r Any thoughts?
    edited 25 August, 2010
    Ayayayaya! Poor Pickles and poor you! I hate to say this but foamy stuff in vomit is usually indicative of the liver. If she's hardly eating you better make sure you get it in her no matter what it takes or she's going to develop fatty liver from the sounds of it. Also the medication could be doing that as well. It could be making her nauseas and the fact that she's got an empty tummy isn't help. I really suggest at this point that you take some canned food, put it in a blender with some water and blend it well and syringe feed her. You really can't have her liver eating the stored reserves it has. Good god, poor baby! Baytril is a strong antibitioc so it should help but not if she doesn't eat. Try some baby food without onions and garlic. Have you given her a quarter of a 10 mg regular strength pepcid to cut down ont he nausea?
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 25 August, 2010
    If you choose to syringe feed her make sure its a smooth pate (no chunks) because even the blender might not get it thinned out enough. Something smooth and grain free will do. Also the chicken and turkey stage one baby foods (make sure no garlic and onions as said above) may help as well. Just try giving her a little bit (1 or 2 ccs at first) at a time and if she goes 10 minutes without puking give her a little more. It takes time, but I had to do that with a cat before and within a day of that they started eating some of what I offered in the bowl because they got their strength up (and because they hated the syringe feeding, mol!) Good luck and keep us posted. We are purring for you! |:|
    edited 25 August, 2010
    Ok, since I posted....I attempted syringe feeding. Unfortunately my syringe hole is not large enough. So I then tried just dropping it in from a small spoon. Let's just say she was ticked! Like I said before, she's like a mini bull. She huffs first to alert that she's not "feeling" the situation. Then she growls, hisses, with biting being last. I was pushing my luck. Well she puked before the spoon attempts, but this was more dark brown in color. I let her out of the bathroom (where I was feeding her) and she went upstairs where I offered her the dry prescription food, and she finally ate about 1/4 cup! Yeah! What do you think? Should I still call the vet? I just don't know. This is getting out of hand....::o Thanks.
    edited 25 August, 2010
    If she ate the prescription food, I'd just give her that for now and be done with it. She has to eat something in order to get better so for now just give her what she's able to take in. I'd say wait until tomorrow to see if there's anymore vomiting. By then, the Baytril will have started to work and you can have a better angle on what's next. LOL, little bull. Well, at least she's still fighting you! My vet used to tell me that a kitty that still fights like that is still in good form. I'd be more worried if she wasn't fighting you at all. So take it as a good sign. See if she can hold down that prescription swill and let her eat it until this whole crisis is over with. Then you can try and ween her off the script food and get her on something better. One thing at a time. We'll keep our paws crossed that tonight and tomorrow are better for you guys! =;
    edited 26 August, 2010
    Yet another update.... So Pickles still wasn't eating this morning so I called the vet. Now she's on a stimulant to make her eat. I gave it to her, and within 45 minutes she was downstairs looking for food. This is a good sign she's probably ate 1/3 cup of food, also she's managed to keep down her antibiotic. On a bad note, she's acting funny. Really whiny, and her meows are like she's hoarse- I guess cuz she's weak. I'm sure between the prozac, antibiotics, food stimulant, and an empty stomach, she's just not feeling good. At least she's up and around, eating, drinking, and peeing. No poop yet though, and it's been a while, hopefully after she eats. It's weird too, she's following me all over the place, wanting to be on my lap or touching me some how, purring all the while. Pickles is NOT a lap cat :))! Well hopefully tomorrow will be better! Cross your fingers for a bm;P
    edited 26 August, 2010
    Oh Lord! What's the name of the stimulant she's on!? It's not Mirtazapine is it? Make sure she's not having a bad reaction because Mirtazapine is anti-depressant that yes, makes people and animals hungry as a horse. But I had a bad reaction on it. Make sure she's not wired and uncomfortable. I had a rapid heartbeat, panting, and meowing in the corner. Also, Mirtazapine should not be given with Prozac which is another anti-depressant! That's too much for a cat. If the stimulant is cyproheptadine, that's an antihistamine and can make them very loopy but it won't hurt her. Just cut the dose in half and she shouldn't have that bad a reaction next time.
    edited 26 August, 2010
    Yep, it's mirtazapine. Thanks for the info. That explains her uncomfortable sounding meowing. I think you're right about the wired part too. She's up and moving a lot, changing positions. Seems more irritable.... Do you think in the morning she'll be better? It's only once every 3 days so she won't get it again until Sunday, and only if she needs it. I mean do you think her restlessness and crabbiness will subside? I'm just glad she ate. I also wish she'd poop. No poops in several days, but probably due to "nothing in nothing out." And I won't give the prozac tomorrow morning. I just hate that she's uncomfortable. I feel like it's one thing after another.... Thanks a bunch for the info and advice. I know she needs it!=;
    edited 26 August, 2010
    I certainly hope so. For Alex though she was much worse than that so I think Pickles is just wired. Alex needed to be brought to the ER because she had what's called Seratonin Syndrome. It's a reaction that anyone can get, humans or people on seratonin inhibitors like anti-depressants. I think for tonight just keep a close eye on her. If she's still really wired and acting strange tomorrow, as long as it's not any worse than it is now, I'd say let it wear off. If it does get worse, what they'll have to do is actually give her the cyproheptadine anyways because that is the antedote for Seratonin Syndrome! I would call the vet in the morning regardless and tell her that Pickles was way too wired and not comfortable all night after that pill. Tell her you'd rather have cyproheptadine instead. Then when you get it, I'd cut the pill in half and try a half of one first to see how she reacts to it. I know that one she probably won't have a reaction to, just a little opposite of what she's doing now. She'll be a little tired and looking a little high unfortunately. But that's why you should cut the dose in half, it shouldn't be as bad. she will though be VERY hungry so stick the food right in front of her and she'll eat it! Boy, I'll tell you what. This all reminds me so much of Alex. She had so many problems and it was one thing after another for her too. She had bad reactions to everything, got really nervous, it was a nightmare! I feel for you, I really do.:-/
    edited 26 August, 2010
    You can tell I'm tired. Humans AND people? LOL! :)) I was just reading it over and I can see I'm not making complete sense. Plus I'm switching kitties on you, from Lacey to Alex! Oy! Sorry about that.
    edited 27 August, 2010
    Lacey/ Alex. Thank you for all your great info. I always tell people that the day they stop learning is the day they are dead. I have learned a lot from you, Thanks!=; Now back to Pickles, yes I would recommend that you call the vet first thing and get her back in or on that different med like Alex said. |:|
    edited 27 August, 2010
    Pickles' symptoms have quieted a bit. She slept with me most of the night, but was restless at the same time. She ate on and off during the night. She still has this very persistent, annoying meow going on though. I called the vet first thing, and said that if she needs another dose in 3 days, to cut it it half. So we'll try that. On another note, she got up at 4:30 and finally had a bm in the litter box, BUT it was all liquid, so I am going to hold off on the miralax till things firm up. I was just afraid since she hadn't gone in a while.... So there you go!
    edited 27 August, 2010
    Thank you very much Mac's Cat! I'm glad to know that I'm helping anyway I can. As far as Pickles, that's good that she was less crazy last night. It's still odd to me that they would prescribe something like one anti-depressant on top of another but I guess I shouldn't be really surprised. But at the same time, if she does just fine with that half of a dose, she's good to go and I guarantee she'll eat like a hog. That's why she had diarrhea I'll bet. Days of not getting nearly enough calories in and being backed up. The stuff just shot out of there like a rocket! At least she's going, that's all that matters. Try the canned pumpkin also instead of Miralax. It will actually regulate her one way or the other, whether it's the poops or constipation. Not pie filling, just pure canned pumpkin and get the organic kind if you can. There's a brand in supermarkets called Farmer's Market I think and mine love it way better than Libby's. it actually looks and smells like pumpkin should! Well, let's hope she's finally on the right track! Poor little girl, I'd be irritable too with all of that. We're sending you big kisses Pickles!!! |/a/|
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 27 August, 2010
    Mineral oil is NOT an essential oil. It is NOT absorbed into the lungs when you give it to a cat. Giving mineral oil to a cat is dangerous because a cat may aspirate (breathe in the oil)it is when administered orally and that will certainly cause a problem. All essential oils are toxic to cats and should never be administered topically or internally. I am even cautious using the oils as an aerosol around my cats. In fact, many essential oils are toxic for humans taken internally and should be used with caution. As an Aroma Therapist I urge people to be judicious in the use of essential oils. sorry had to throw in my two cents.
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Jeeeez Purrcy! LOL! Okay, I worded it wrong, you're right. But glad to see you write that it's not good for them. I had thought it was an essential oil though, I guess not. But it still shouldn't be given to cats as you've stated. Thanks for clearing this up (late in the game, LOL). :-h
    edited 28 August, 2010
    So I wanted to do a little more research on the mineral oil thing and this is what I found: Mineral oil is an oil manufactured from crude oil, it's a mixture of liquid hydrocarbons separated from petroleum. When administered orally, a cat may aspirate (breathe in) the oil. Mineral oil binds the fat soluble vitamins A, D and E and carries them unabsorbed out of the body.
  • edited 28 August, 2010
    It seems that there is at least an agreement that mineral oil is probably not the best solution. ;) I just wanted to toss out another thought for constipation. Magnesium is a natural way to stimulate the nervous system, especially the nerves that control the muscles for bowel movement.... Y\'know what coffee does for us humans? Magnesium does the same thing without the tannins/caffeine. It\'s also a good alternative because it works without pulling moisture from the rest of the body, like stool softeners do. Stool softeners \"borrow\" moisture from the rest of the body, directing it into the GI tract to soften things up. Using stool softeners too much can lead to dehydration. Anyway, it might be worth doing a little research and talking to your vet about using magnesium. We\'ve used it in the past, a small dose usually did the trick.
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Hi All, Pickles is doing pretty good. That stimulant worked like a charm. Within 45 minutes she was ravenous looking for food. That was 3 days ago, and she's still eating like a champ. Her symptoms are gone, and I'm debating giving her a half dose today. I think I may do it.:h: The only problem is that she's still got the "runs" although she's going daily, thank goodness. Her last dose of antibiotics (baytril), is Wednesday, so that's probably the culprit. I started syringing pumpkin into her, which is great, cuz it actually goes right in from the can. I have a syringe that is 3 cc, so how many should I give her? I was doing 2 syringe fulls a day...is that too much or too little? I'm going camping this week thursday, and I really wanted her firmed up by then. Grant it, it's only 2 nights, but I don't want her stepping in it::o. Thanks for all your support, you ROCK!
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Hey Pickles!!! Yes, Baytril can definitely give loose stools. It's a powerful antibiotic and is wiping out her good bacteria as well. The pumpkin is great except it's not replacing her bacteria that she needs. I still recommend using the Eaglepack Transition Solution powder. It's chicken flavored, has mild probiotics that work fast and I think it'll work well. As far as the pumpkin goes, probably the amount you're giving is just fine. I gave it to Finn and Lacey when they were on antibiotics for 3 weeks for URIs awhile ago. Worked great! But when I gave them some probiotics to replace what they lost is when things got much better. You can give a human version but I'd be careful with that as they don't have the same type of flora in their intestines that we do. Most people that give the human kind say it either makes things a lot worse, or it doesn't do anything. So glad to hear some good news about her finally! ~a~
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Thanks for the advice Alex. I do have the Eagle Pack Transition stuff, but she won't eat it on her food, be it dry or wet. But hey, Duh, I'll put it in the pumpkin! She is so darn stubborn. She used to love the pumpkin with the wet food, now she won't touch it, and if I put the Eagle Pack on the dry she avoids that too. Grrr. Anyways, I'm just glad she has her strength back. I'm sure she'd be on the brink of HL if I hadn't gotten a stimulant. She was slipping further into a weird state. Pooping, eating, things are good =; Yeah, next dose of pumpkin will have Eagle Pack in it...thanks.
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Wow, that's unusual because most kitties love the taste of the Eaglepack. But you know what though too, her tastebuds could be all screwed up because of the antibiotics. That definitely can happen. So maybe she'll get better about the pumpkin and the probiotic once she's off the drugs. You did the right thing with the stimulant. I'm talking to an older lady from my site right now who has TWO kitties who aren't eating. I keep trying to convey to her how desperate this situation is. I told her that come tomorrow, she needs to get them to the vet and get appetite stimulants for both. One is starting to vomit white foam which is getting close to HL. So scary! I'm so thrilled Pickles is on her way to recovery. You're a good mom! :h:
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Yay Pickles!!! SO glad you're feeling better. %:D% Keep on eating, and using your litter box. Things will get better. Congrats mom, you're doing a great job!!! =D>