How old are cats when they go into heat?

Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
edited 30 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hey guys I've always been a dog person. Know almost everything there is know about them. But when it comes to cats I'm a complete ditz. I want to have her spayed but have been a little short on fundage recently. When do females go into heat for the first time? Is it like dogs at 6 months and then every six months after that? She just turned six months and want to have her spayed before she goes into heat. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 28 August, 2010
    A female cat can go into heat as early as 4 months. Look into low cost spay/neuter clnics. Here are some links to find one in your area: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter/ http://neuterspay.org/ http://www.spayusa.org/ Sometimes a town/city will have low/free cost spay/neuter days. Check with your local town or city animal control. Ask vet clnics, too. Sometmes they have spay/neuter days.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 28 August, 2010
    We likes Merlin's answer. Mommie hads me spayed at 5 months and when her took mes in, the vet said I was in heats. Silly Mommie didn't evens know it! Lots of places have low cost spay and neuter clinics, and that is a really goods idea. So glad you is a concerned pawrent and is going to gets your kittie spayed!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 28 August, 2010
    Kitties come into heat, ballpark at 6 months, but as the other posters said, it can be as early as 4 months. They come into heat every 7-10 days, some 14-21 days, depends on the kitty. They cycle by the amount of daylight, so they start ballpark January, and wind down, ballpark Sept/Oct. :-) I do know vets don't like to spay them, when they are in heat, I forget now why, the others can prob explain that one better, mol. I always had boys, and they got neutered 5-6 months, depending on their show sched, so I have to admit, I did not know about when females came into heat, back when Smokey was a kitten. Her appt too, was sched around her show sched, and she came into heat at 5 months. And actually, being ignorant of females and heats at that time, mol, I thought there was something wrong with her, mol, and I called my vet. She told me she is heat, mol, and when she comes out of heat, she can be spayed. Forget now, that was over 5 yrs ago, but think her heat was longer than a week, but I don't think it was 2 weeks. So she missed a few shows, and her sched was now, when she came out of heat. We learn something new everyday with kitties, mol. Here are some links to help you, best of luck. http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2235 http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2137 :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 30 August, 2010
    Thank you guys so much. So basically asap right? Tigger is neutered and she doesn't go outside so I know she'll be fine. NO KITTIES here!! We have enough lol She hasn't gotten her rabies shot yet you think she'll be ok to spay now? I had a dog years ago spayed with one of those vouchers I'll have to look into that. Thanks so much again everyone. One more question guys? Do you think it will calm her down she's driving me a little bonkers recently! :D
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2010
    Good idea to has her spayed ASAP. I was spayed whiles I was in heat, although Mommie hads to pay more to has it done. Vets will spays a cat in heat, but it is slightly mores complicated fur thems, as the organs are mores swollen at that times. Spaying her mights calm her downs a little, but remembers that her is a kitten yets. Kittens tends to bes a little wild, her will probably mellows with age. (Just likes a fine wine?)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 August, 2010
    You would have to check with your vet, but it seem to me, the kittens had to have their shots first, or at least most of them, we debated weather to give them the FeLV shot, that one, I know was after they were neutered. I was hesitant to give it, but being they went to shows, they needed it. Higher degree of exposure. It also seems they had to have their rabies shot first too, something about it protects the girls that handle them at the vets. Your vet could best advise you on what she would need first. I also remember they had to have a blood panel done, one week before their neuter. Believe the vet is checking the white cell count or maybe it was the red. That is for the kitties protection, they won't operate without it. As far as spaying calming her down, nope, not at all, mol. She is the energizer kitten, as you named her, mol, because she is a kitten, thats just how kittens are. Mine still race thru the house at warp speed, like crazy boys, and they are 2 yrs old. Bump is 3, and he runs and rassels with them too. All spaying will do, is keep her from having kittens, keep her from having medical issues associated with not spaying her, she will no longer have that funny meow, and she will no longer roll around, like she is stoned, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D