Do I have gingivitis?

Hashini GunasingheHashini Gunasinghe Member Posts: 121
edited 1 September, 2010 in Cat Health
My mommy just took my brother to the vet cause he has a cut on his foot. Well actually I bit him and the area got infected but don't tell mommy that. The vet put my brother on antibiotics but he also had severe gingivitis (which the vet thinks is cause of the bacteria in him). Well mommy came home and checked my gums too and was shocked to find out that my gums are a little red too. My mommy's not sure if its gingivits cause I just got my grown up teeth and I'm still teething. My gums are red where they meet the teeth, its like a thin line of red. My mommy wants to know if its gingivitis or just teething. If it is gingivitis should my mommy take me into the vet or is there any home treatments she can try first?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 August, 2010
    I would take him to the vet, to see if he has dental issues, and what the vet recommends. I highly recommend, you do not treat him with anything, until you know what is actually wrong, and what you are treating for. :D A cats mouth is full of bacteria, thats why his brother prob got an infection, just as a human would if a cat bit them. :D Here is a link on dental stuff. Hope it helps and best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2121
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 August, 2010
    Have the kitties been Leuk/FIV tested? That can cause Gingivitis in cats/kittens. Some cats/kittens are just genetically predisposed to gingivitis. You do have to be careful as gingivitis can lead to periodontal disease which can cause tooth loss. Otherwise I would recommend using a gel called MaxiGuard Oral Cleansing Gel, it helps with gingivitis. I use it a few times a week to help keep my gingivitis at bay.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 31 August, 2010
    gingivitits usually is a dark brown line down the tooth, looks like a crack. red gums could be an infection, very treatable with anti biotics, dont worry.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 August, 2010
    Miss Tiny Burr Burr gingivitis is the inflammation of the gums (red gums). Here is a picture of what Gingivitis looks like. Gingivitis in Cats
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 1 September, 2010
    im saying that it could be eaither or :)