Now what? What options would you recommend?

Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
edited 1 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
My mum just got an email newsletter about Blue Buffalo Wilderness (dry) Chicken formula for dogs possibly being the cause of hypercalcemia and vit. D toxicity. Even tho there has not been a confirmation on this or anything....the IDEA is what scares her. Mum feeds me Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck (dry). It is one of the only foods that has not upset my stomach too much. I've recently been transitioned to TotW (because mum likes to have us transitioned to more than one food) Mum has to travel for most of our foods, and if for any reason we ran out of one, we'd have a good backup. I am the picky one, my sister will eat moist food (and some dry) but I will not eat moist food anymore. (after my being sick with my 'mystery illness'). I might give a lick or two, but that is it. Mum's work schedule is a bit chaotic, and she cannot afford to make raw food if I will not eat it. There are not any local or few mile-pet food stores near her...so buying pre-made raw wouldn't work well. (She would have to order online). Mum is more than likely going to return the dry food she purchased from PetCo on the 20th of Aug. she doesn't want to take any chances with it. If there is a potential issue with one group of food, she doesn't trust it to not 'travel' to other groups of food from the same company. Mum is wondering what other grain-free food or at the very least, higher-quality dry food that may be recommended (she would prefer to NOT feed dry, but I need to eat something). Mum can easily purchase Indigo Moon, but that is a 'back-up' food for she doesn't like the lack of meat in it. Mum does not want to buy the dry Wellness CORE due to what she's heard about it. It would be easier if there was another 'ok' brand sold at PetCo or Petsmart...there is a pet store she will check out when she goes to LaCrosse this weekend. Tho the lady will give her a hard time about dry...but she cannot remember what the lady sells as options. All she remembers is the lady sells a lot of 'fishy flavors' of canned food and comments on mum's lack of 'fish' in my diet. Thing is, this shop sold several quality brands...so it's easy for mum to pick up 20 cans to spice up my sister's diet. Mum knows that there isn't a 'purrrfect' solution. I'd be golden if I would regularly eat moist, but I will not. Mum wants to do the best she can for me (or should say, the best I will allow). Also, she would rather purchase food in a store vs. ordering online. Mum knows wet is great, raw is best...but I'm a stick in the mud. And mum is probably worrying too much over this, but she would be very hurt if something happened to me. I've been though a lot already.

Comments

• Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Try Orijen. Its a grain free high protein food. There are several different kinds of good dry food. Although as you said, wet is best. Check out www.ibdkitties.net and click on commercial food. There is a list of wet food with their dry counterparts. Might help you get started in the right direction! Good luck! :-h
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Hi guys!!! Thanks Hunter for sending Belle to my site. Can you tell me where you heard this? I send out recall notices to all the people on my newsletter list and I'd like to see this information, even if it isn't official yet. It would really help me to inform them. Thanks so much! :D
  • Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Thanks for the tips. :) I'm aware of the list (and great site!) Mum has looked to that as to spread out the Wellness grain-free foods out she buys the grain-free options of Fancy Feast. I was picky myself when it came to moist food and sometimes needed 'help' getting to eat it. My sister is the same way at times Maybe even more snootie than me in some areas. Mum hopes in my own time I'll return to eating moist food. Thing is, I associate the food I eat with being sick. I was a stray and there was no way possible for mum to transition me to moist food. I ended up going through a 'detox' and the food I had been eating during that time I will NOT touch. Then a few months ago I had to stay at the vet clinic for sickness (which the vet couldn't figure out)...but after that, I simply will not touch moist food. I'll lick gravy from moist foods...that's pretty much it. Until mum finds one that will break me out of my mindset (and believe me, she has tried!) she'll keep the option available to me, but let me eat what I want to eat at this time. Should also mention mum would like to find a dry food that is good, but not full of chicken or fish. She likes to have a food that is composed of something like duck or another meat. (for variety)...She knows the vet in town sells Natural Balance LIDiet foods, but believes she has heard mixed reviews on the food quality in general. Mum signed up on the TruthAboutPetFood site. Usually once a day there is an update about a food recall or update about pet food companies, etc. This isn't a recall, but a heads up about some things having been noticed in a study involvoing some dogs. Whether it is just happenstance or if it is indeed tied to the food. You can go to the website or become a fan on FB.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 1 September, 2010
    :-h We are signed up at truthaboutpetfood.com also. Veterinarians reporting Possible Blue Buffalo Dog Food Concerns
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 1 September, 2010
    I saw the website, wasn't too impressed by it. I think I'll stick with Alex's mommy's newsletter. I feel more comfortable with that. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)
    edited 1 September, 2010
    I had signed up for that newsletter as well but quit after a week. I understand the need to keep people updated on potential problems but at the same time, I'm afraid that constant, everyday negative mailings like that without concrete proof is going to make people crazy! I couldn't stand it after one week. This information is definitely something to keep an eye on, I looked at the VIN network and saw it. But at the same time, it's only just a theory so far and no problems have been reported by dog owners. So I'd hate to suddenly say something and then finicky kitties stop eating something that's working for them based on heresay. You know what I mean? I just got too much scary stuff from her everyday. We have a hard enough time being neurotic with our babies as it is.;)
  • Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 1 September, 2010
    That is very true. My mum would like to know what other resources there are out there that she can look at. She likes to be on top of stuff and does like more than one source of info. Mum is just cautious of what I eat because I have a tendency of developing issues. If something were to happen to this food, then she is left with one other food I'm fed regularly. (I do better with more than one option) It's hard for my mum not to jump the gun...she worries about me a lot. Mum still has a bag of the Wilderness food, she wouldn't be able to return it at all until the weekend. She could return it as it would be within 30 days or keep it. But she still thinks she would like to find another option to think of trying. At least to make her feel more at ease.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 1 September, 2010
    I agree it is good to have multiple sources for information. I get the emails and dont find them too overwhelming or worrisome. I only read what interests me and ignore the rest. Its not like it is my favorite site or anything so fine what you commented. :)) I was just trying to help out with the link in case anycat wanted the info on what was being discussed in the thread. On her site too, she said there was no proof there was anything wrong with the food. I think many sites just try to get the info out there in case it is affecting anyone else. People can read it if they want and ignore if they want. Happy September!!
    edited 1 September, 2010
    You guys can sign up for my newsletter on my website Paws in the News! I just now sent out a recall notice for Iams Dry cat food? Want to join my newsletter? Pawmail me your regular email address, I never give them out to anyone and they are never even visible when I send them out. I send out stuff on recalls but also interesting new research on pet health, new foods I've found on the internet, pet health stuff and all kinds of things! It's an option if you'd like, just let me know okay?%:D%