Kitten throws up daily - anyone gone through this??

Deb NeufellDeb Neufell WalthamMember Posts: 4
edited 1 September, 2010 in Cat Health
I adopted Peanut in July of this year and she's now 4 months old. Ever since bringing her home, she's thrown up once or twice daily. She has gone 1 or 2 days without doing it, but not often. She's the runt of the litter and wasn't well taken care of or watched at the rescue center when I adopted her. She just recently had a tapeworm and intestinal parasites, which I treated and are now gone (confirmed by my vet) but she's still throwing up. Not as much in terms of volume but still doing it. She's seen my vet twice so far and they are kind of baffled at what this could be. Granted, I have not yet done blood work or x-rays because we all thought the tapeworm was to blame. I'm bringing her in for blood work this Saturday - one step at a time. I'm still trying to recover financially from having to put my 5-year-old Buddy to sleep. His emergency visits and medicines cost me over $2000. :( Has anyone experienced this with a kitten? At first, she would eat WAY too fast and then throw up. She starting to slow down but now she throws up in the middle of the night. She's very active, has never had a fever, she's pooping and peeing fine, and her vet exams have been fine. I've had her on every food that's out there, including the pricey prescription food from the vet and none of it's made a difference. She is gaining weight, however. The vet had me try a 1/4 10mg tablet of Pepcid and that didn't seem to work either. Someone also suggested I give her a few licks of plain yogurt to get some digestive enzymes in her to aid in the digestion because they thought that might be the issue. I'm sure I'll know more when they do blood work but just figured I'd ask if anyone's experienced this before. Having had to put my kitten Boo to sleep when she was 3 months old and recently Buddy, I'm just fearful of what's wrong with her.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 22 August, 2010
    I understand how you feel with the bills and losing some kitties but there honestly is no way to tell why until you've taken the proper tests. It could be so many things and the longer you put it off the worse it could get. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear but we could go down a huge list of things and it still could be something different. I'm sorry this is happening. I hope you can figure out how to get the funds for testing soon. We'll be praying for you!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 August, 2010
    I been thru this twice, with my kittens, first time was at 12 weeks, when the pet sitter, at the time, gave them adult food, instead of kitten food, came home from a show to 2 sick kittens, throwing up and diarea. Took them in first thing Mon morn, they did x-rays, it show their intestines were inflammed, showed up as dark on the x-ray, they were put on metronidazole, all better. :D The next time was when we were changing them from kitten food to adult food, only got a few days into the change over, and they were throwing up and diarea. Took them in, x-rays, metronidazole, put back on kitten food, all better. That was prob at 7 months, my vet said try again at 8 months. We did, we were more than 3/4 the way into the change over, and they got sick again. My vet said this time, keep going, your almost there, I did, they were fine. :D See a pattern? :D Kittens have very sensative little systems, any change in food, throws their little systems out of whack, and can result in throwing up and/or diarea. Kittens need to be on kitten food, the better quality is better, but even if it is Purina Kitten Chow, and kept on the same food, until they are ballpark 7-8 months old, and the changeover must be done very gradualy, over 14 days. :D The constant change in food and/or feeding adult food and/or feeding special prescription food, which kittens should not be, at all, on, unless there is a special medical reason for it, they have done tests, and the specialits have been consulted, and this is what they advise. I have no idea, why a vet would have you feed her perscription food, at 4 months old, when no tests have been done. :D I don't think the vet gave you full instructions on how to use the Pepcid AC. The dosage is correct, but it should only be given, every 24 hours, and you give it, and then let their little tummy settle, no food, for a few hours, then you give them a few licks of baby food, to see if their tummy is settled down, if they still throw up, ya gotta get them to the vet. If they do not throw up, wait a few more hours, then give them a very small amount of their food, same thing, throw up, vet time. And, it has to be the regular Pepcid, it cannot be the extra strenght one, that one ingredient, forget now what it is, will make them sick, could do even more harm to a kitten, could even have higher consequences. Alex is right, and the others will tell you the same thing. She needs to go to the vet and they should do an x-ray, to see if her intestines are inflammed, which they should also show you the x-ray, it will show up as dark, in the intestines. And/or if there is a possible blockage, or she ate something she shouldn't have, kittens do that, and/or if something else is going on in there. I forget the order now, but if they throw up, right after they eat, it means one thing, but if they throw up, a period of time, after they eat, it means another thing. Munchie works for a vet, maybe she, or one of the others know the ans. If she is hoovering her food, which that can cause them to throw up too, just give her very small amounts at a time. Like Alex said, it could be a variety of reasons, and doing the x-ray, is the place to start. We all understand money issues, Smokeys liver issues were almost $800 when I got done. Do you have Care Credit? Its for vet emergencies, and some vets you can use it for office visits, some you can't, ask your vet. Since you have spent so much money at the vets, you are obviously a good client, see if the vet will work with you. Give them a deposit when you go in, then write checks, and ask them to deposit one every week. Have had to go that route too. If you stay with what you agreed on, they will let you do it again, just don't sca-roo them on it, or they will never let you do it again. Best of luck, hope she is feeling better soon, let us know what the vet said. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Deb NeufellDeb Neufell WalthamMember Posts: 4
    edited 23 August, 2010
    Thanks for your responses! I'm definitely not looking for anyone to diagnose her or anything, just wanted to see if someone else out there had a similar experience is all. The changing of the food, prescription food and Pepcid were all done as directed by my vet to try and fix the problem before resorting to costly lab work, x-rays, etc. When I first got her, she was so starving she'd chow through her food and then throw up right after. Not anymore. Now it's much later. She hasn't thrown up at all in 24 hours - knock on wood. She's learned to eat a little at a time and slow down because I had to feed her a little at a time over the course of a few weeks. But she still has some days where she plows through the food and that seems to be when she throws up. I know we all suffer the costs of the vet, and I don't want to come across as complaining to a point where someone would think I'd deny her care based on money. I was only stating the obvious that it's expensive. :) Between my cats and the 4 others in my family that go there, I'm sure they'd accept a payment plan if I were to ask. Like I said, she's going on Saturday for blood work. Hopefully everything comes back fine and it's just a matter of it working itself out as she grows.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 23 August, 2010
    Zelda had this problem when we first brought her home. In addition to the vomiting, she also had diarrhea though. We eventually came to the conclusion that she had Irritable Bowel Disease and after a round of metronidazole and switching to raw food, her issues cleared up. Do you feed dry or wet? If dry, you can feed her with one of those food treat balls to slow her down. If wet, give small portions at a time and make sure they are at least room temperature. Cold food can make cats vomit.
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 24 August, 2010
    Hi Peanut! :-h Pookie and his sister, Bonnie, would throw up once in a while as kittens, and as they got older it got worse, to the point where it was several times a day. ::o The vet thought it might be food allergies so I tried the prescription stuff, too. No change. Long story short, once I stopped dry feeding and began feeding only grain-free wet food, the vomiting almost totally stopped. Once in a while Pookie will do it if he eats too fast, so what I do now is feed him small portions more often. Hobie makes some good points. I warm the canned food up in a microwave to room temperature or just a little warmer. I hope this helps!:):):):):)
    edited 24 August, 2010
    Peanut and her brother get wet food in the morning, dry to pick at while I'm at work, a little more wet at dinner and dry to pick at during the night. She's thrown up after eating wet and dry so I'm not sure if taking dry completely out would help any. Knock on wood, she's been okay now for 2 days. I started her on a 1/2 teaspoon of Laxatone yesterday, per the vet so maybe that's keeping her little system moving along so it's going out one way instead of two! :) If I can get her to go a week without throwing up I'd be SO happy!
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 25 August, 2010
    Pookie and Bonnie were given canned in the morning and evening, but the dry was left out all the time. They would vomit both dry and canned, but looking back I think the dry, which takes longer to digest, is what was making them bring up the canned. Once I removed the dry, things got MUCH better. If you can, try going without the dry for a full week and just feed canned and see how things go. A friend of mine was going through this and gave canned in the morning and evening, then leave the dry out overnight. Bingo, the cat would vomit the dry, or the canned in the morning (he suspected the cat ate some dry not long before the am canned). He's no longer giving the dry and she doesn't vomit anymore. I forgot to mention that while the Pepcid may work (I think you're earlier post mentioned it), I would go easy on that. I've read that antacids block the body from absorbing B12 in people, and my guess is it does the same in cats and they need that. If you need something to soothe the tummy, you can try slippery elm. I've never tried it myself but may in the future. There's a good article on it in the Free Article Library on www.littlebigcats.com, which is by a holistic vet. But if at all possible, try removing the dry for a week and see what happens. I hope this helps! :):):):):)
    edited 31 August, 2010
    So Peanut's been fine now for almost a week and a half! The vet said that the Laxatone probably cleared up the last of the tapeworm that had been in her system.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 31 August, 2010
    That's great news!!!! Watch her still for a bit but hopefully that's the end of it. Awesome for little Peanut! ;c;
  • Heather FranklinHeather Franklin Member Posts: 10
    edited 1 September, 2010
    My kitten would throw up as well when I first got her because she would plow down the food I gave her and then would throw it up. It turned out it was a combination of things, including Roundworms. After we got rid of the worms she still would throw up sometimes, and I found if I left the wet food cold instead of feeding it to her at room temperature she would keep the food down! So that could be something you could try if she ever gets it again :). Good to hear she\'s better!