Kittens bone exposed!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Kimberly MorganKimberly Morgan Member Posts: 5
edited 3 September, 2010 in Cat Health
I took in these 2 kittens a week ago to keep them out of the shelter. They were full of fleas and had been abandoned. Im guessing they are 5 weeks old and are still on kitten formula. Well the female is completely fine now but the male has been through hell (excuse the language) He has a ring of raw skin around the bottom of his tail that was bleeding. The vet said it looked as if somebody tried to dock his tail by tying a rubber band around it...well not only is that CRUEL but it didn\'t work so the lil\' guy was in more pain!!! They gave me some antibiotics and told me how to care for it. Well this morning I was going to bathe him and noticed he has a small rip under his armpit. It not very bit at all but when he moves his arm back you can see the bone. It does not bleed and the bone is covered by this pink film so I think in reality the skin just ripped. Im not sure how it happened but I was freaking out. I dont have any money to take him back to the vet at the moment. He has plenty of antibiotics left though. Should I put anything on it and wrap it up? peroxide? help please!!! :((

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 30 August, 2010
    If you can see the bone, that is extremly serious, and he does need to go to the vet. Since the vet just saw him, give him/her a call, and see what you can work out. If you have been going there for awhile, seems like they can work out something. Best of luck and bless you for taking in these kittens. =; :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,411
    edited 30 August, 2010
    I agree he needs to go to the vet! Since you were just there they shouldn't charge you another vet visit. They might charge if they have to do anything additional but call them and let them know your situation! You might be able to work out some payment arrangements. Good luck and keep us posted! |:||:||:||:||:|
  • Nicolette BeachNicolette Beach PhiladelphiaMember Posts: 20
    edited 30 August, 2010
    DO NOT use perioxide, it actually will make it worse by killing tissue. I had fostered two brothers who had limb deformities a while ago and one of the brothers legs' had the bone exposed at his stump. There was no blood and was covered by a film of thin skin. The vet that I saw told me that he would be ok until the limb was amputated(which he was) but I would take this kitten in ASAP. Infections can progress rapidly and his immune system is likely compromised. Good luck!!!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 30 August, 2010
    Yes, please take the kitten in to the vets immediately! I agree that you shouldn't be charged but regardless, it's VITAL he be treated by a doctor asap! Infection can set in at any time. Good luck and keep us posted.
    edited 31 August, 2010
    You know I was thinking last night too, he has got to be in some serious pain if his bone is exposed! That really has to hurt something fierce!:(
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 31 August, 2010
    TAKE IT TO VET NOW i cannot stress this enough. A wound that deep needs vet care ASAP He can rip it more and bleed out or get an infetion and lose the leg or his life Please take him to the vet now
    edited 31 August, 2010
    TAKE IT TO VET NOW i cannot stress this enough. A wound that deep needs vet care ASAP He can rip it more and bleed out or get an infetion and lose the leg or his life Please take him to the vet now
    edited 31 August, 2010
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 August, 2010
    I hope you were able to get this kitty to the vet. Peroxide can harm the tissues, if you want to clean it use a anti-bacterial soap such as dial and water, make sure the water is warm, and then you could apply some neosporin to it. Also put some vaselline or something on the wound to keep it moist until you can get to the vet.
  • Kimberly MorganKimberly Morgan Member Posts: 5
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Hi Guys, Thanks for the responses! I took him to the vet and they gave him some pain meds and told me to continue his antibiotics. It was not a gash cut, more like the skin split and you could see the bone inside the muscle...if that makes sense. I am so glad we got him some pain meds though I cant stand to think of him in pain! Also I forgot to mention that his tail is getting worse and the vet is giving it a week before amputating! We are hoping it will heal. If I didn\'t mention his tail, he has a perfect ring about an inch up from his but that is bleeding! The vet says he swears somebody tried to dock his tail by tying a rubber band around it to cut off circulation! It just makes me sick!!! The things people do!!! Thankfully they came into my care so I can help this little guy...just thinking about where he would have ended up make me wanna cry :(( We were also considering keeping this lil guy but were also considering adopting him out after he is weaned and COMPLETELY healed. We did not plan for this so we are still deciding. Any tips on finding the right home?! I am so nervous...I do not want him to end up in a bad situation again!!! Thanks so much guys xoxo Kimberly and Ashes
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Oh that is just horrible! People can be so cruel and then others, like yourself, can be so caring and wonderful. Thank you for taking him in and giving him the medical attention and love he needs! We're so glad to hear he'll be okay. Hopefully his little tail will heal. If not, there's plenty of kitties here without a tail that are just fine! Great job on getting him help! Hurray!;c;
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 3 September, 2010
    My friend\'s vet would not give pain meds to her Sister\'s(Boo Boo Kitty) cat when it had been attacked by a dog. He does not believe in them . He said that he wants the animals to feel the pain so they will not injure themselves more. But that does not bowed well with me at all.He is an EXCELLENT vet and is a old man who is no longer taking any new people. As for the tail and the rubber band, small kids are usually the ones who do things like that. When grooming, we would see some dogs like that and the owners did not even see it. Then again they were usually long haired dogs too.I am so glad this looks a bit better as far as the exposed bone and such. I too hope his tail does not have to come off. ::o And Boo Boo Kitty is doing so well now. He had over 80 stitches in his poor body. Cheryl is not letting him or his Sister out any more! We are all glad for that. Good luck and please keep us all updated as to how he does! Bless you for helping them both out. I could not give him up after all of this...