I need a cheaper alternative to Purina EN for vomiting cat

Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Member Posts: 1,439
edited 5 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Our cat throws up a couple times a week. It's always undigested food. More of a regurgitation rather than a vomiting. No hairballs. Healthy otherwise although a little overweight. She has had a full workup and nothing shows up at the vet. Blood work is great. No IBS. Stools are perfect. She just throws up a lot. We put her on Purina EN prescription food and it's working fine. She only throws up once in awhile now. It used to be several times a week before the diet switch. Now it's once every couple weeks. However.... the food just went up in price again.... it's $50 for 10 pounds. That is really expensive, we are on a budget. :( Is there another alternative food that we could try that would help her sensitive stomach? We just can't afford the prescription food anymore. Thanks.

Comments

• Tracy BrowneTracy Browne Member Posts: 1,439
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Here is a link to the food she's eating now. It is high protein (50%) but the first ingredient is soy. UGH. I know it's not good for her, but it's the only thing that has helped her. I need something similar but less expensive. http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/FelineProductDetail.aspx?prod=234
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Welcome Guest we are sorry to hear that your cat is throwing up alot, im sure others will chime in here to help aswell. So here is the ingredients for the Purina EN Soy protein isolate, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soy flakes, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), corn starch, natural flavor, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, fish oil, DL-Methionine, taurine, choline chloride, powdered cellulose, zinc proteinate, salt, dried colostrum, Vitamin E supplement, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. E-4584 Now I will disect some of the ingredients for you. The only reason it looks like there is alot of "protein" in it is because of the Soy, and the powdered cellulose (sawdust) It does not have named by product so it could be any parts of the poultry, so not good source of Quality protein. corn gluten meal, and corn starch is just awful stuff for our obligate carnivores. The menadione is like a preservative which is not good for our cats either. You say that your cat is not throwing up as much now, but in the long run this food is going to do more harm than good, you will also have a very unsatisfied grumpy kitty. Have you ever thought about doing a Raw diet? now this does need some educating, though there are lots of people here that could help you. Another thing you could try is feeding only wet food that is high in protein and grain free. Have you ever tried Wellness grain free, or Evo grain free wet foods? What were you eating before the Purina EN?
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Hi Guest! :-h Everything Shadow told you is correct. What you want to avoid, is any by-products, corn gluten, wheat gluten, wheat flour. Like Shadow said, by products can be any part, which can include the beak and feet. The others are grains, grain is for horses, not cats. :D Bumpurr used to have tummy issues too, my vet wanted to put him on prescription stuff too, oh..... no..... I said, so the long quest began, to find a grain free feed, he would eat, which he tried about all of them, was about running out of ones to try, when got to Blue Wilderness, he loved it, phew, mol. Altho, he will only eat the dry. Getting him to eat wet, which Shadow is correct, that is better for them, was just not going to happen. :D Its rare he throws up anymore, and actually the last time, was because I gave in to them, and gave them a little milkey. He threw up, kept throwing up, I called my vet, she said what changed, I said milkey. She told me what to do, and said No More Milkey! mol. Will never again, mol. :D Here is a link to help you. :D http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ Best of luck. :D
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Regurgitation is often caused by eating too fast. This is especially true with dry food, since it can expand after it gets wet in the stomach, making a kitty suddenly overfull. Wet food can be better for this problem, since it won't expand in the stomach. Try feeding smaller amounts throughout the day. If you include dry food in the diet, try to make sure that it's of a good quality, without a lot of grains that are likely to swell up when they get wet. You can also try one of the dishes available that are shaped to encourage slower eating, or even try putting a ball in the bowl to make it harder for your kitty to wolf his food.
    edited 4 September, 2010
    For many reasons, I can't do raw right now. I need a kibble that is cheaper than $5.00 a pound. I need a kibble that is good for sensitive stomachs so that it doesn't exacerbate her vomiting. Can anyone help???
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 4 September, 2010
    Maybe she is vomiting because she is eating to fast. Sasha did this to. I bought a special food bowl for her. It has divider and bumpy things in it. Since getting this bowl it slows her down and no more vomit.
    edited 4 September, 2010
    She is free fed. She only eats a little at a time and grazes throughout the day. So there is no sensitive stomach kibble that is good for her and that doesn't cost $5.00 a pound? I guess I'll just keep her on the purina then. :((
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 4 September, 2010
    How about Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck? Looks like there are a few new varities now. It comes in both canned and dry. The food is supposedly good for cats with sensitive tummies. The ingredients are't much better than the Purina EN, though :? There are bowls designed to slow down eating so "scarf and barf" doesn't happen. Maybe that will help. Not free feeding the dry may help, too. A few set meal times with a resonable portion is plenty for most cats.
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 5 September, 2010
    The Blue wilderness is $32.99 for a 12 pound bag wich averages out to be about $2.80 a bag, and would be a much better dry food for your kitty and her tummy. Wet food would be more ideal but Blue Wilderness dosnt have all the grains in it. Id also recommend doing "limited' free feeding, even if you cant have 'planned meals" What I mean by that is put out a day's worth of food each day at about the same time. Do this on a calorie basis, not whats on the bag. Ideal weight X 13.7 + 70 = the calories needed 9 # cat would need 193 calories or a few kibbles shy of 1/2 a cup of Blue Wilderness a day. This helps limit the eating too much too. Give it a try, but switch her over slowly over about 2 weeks, and your pocket book and her tummy will thank you.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 5 September, 2010
    Sasha also can not have food with grains as she will get sick as well. So maybe something grain free. Taste of the Wild is another grain free kibble that is pretty cheap.
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 5 September, 2010
    Mikey always had problems keeping down dry food - no matter what kind of dry it was. When I learned that kibble is not good for cats I switched him to wet food - hardly any problems since. Personally I'd say try some of the novel protien wet foods. I used to have a list of all the brands and flavors of novel protien wet foods but it is no where to be found. So the following is just what I can think of off the top of my head - scary thing:-O EVO has 95% Venison and 95% duck Nature's Variety has 95% venison, 95% duck, 95% rabbit
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 5 September, 2010
    I recommend the natural balance single-protein foods. They may not be as good as EVO but they are much less expensive and certainly not bad.