Recovery from anesthetic

2»

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 28 August, 2010
    You know my local place JUST got the NV in the 3 oz. cans and I was elated! I didn't think they made those, maybe they just started, I'll have to check the site. But these two have a nasty habit of not wanting a can that's been in the fridge no matter what I do with it! Picky, picky, picky! Sigh, I miss the days when they'd eat dirt if I put it there (NO, they never ate dirt, LOL). :))
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Kitty abuse, kitty abuse, kitty abuse! :-O Ha, ha, ha, ya know I am just messin with you Finnegan, mol. :)):)) I feed Blue Wilderness, the blue one, chicken, its by Blue Buffalo. Stay away from Spa Select and Longevity. When Bumpurr had to be put on a better quality food, tummy issues, I tried all of them, BW was the only one he would eat. It fixed his tummy issues and Prowlers crystal issues, and nobody is throwing up anymore. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Krista PugsleyKrista Pugsley ScarboroughMember Posts: 43
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Binxie update. Binxie seemed fine this morning, slept on my bed and we had our usual weekend morning cuddle on the couch. He spent the rest of the day in his bed sleeping. The vet called and advised that he may be in some pain from the cleaning and since he's a stressed out kitty to begin with, he might take a bit longer to recover. Tonight he's been holding his left ear forward a bit and scratching it. Is this a sign of pain? He seems pretty miserable right now - won't even let me rub his belly which is unusual for him. If he's the same tomorrow, we'll be back to the vets. I'm hoping for some improvement, because he gets so stressed going to the vets that he hyperventilates. I don't want to set back any recovery he may have made so far.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Yea, I would definately take him to the vets. Its risky since he is probably already super stressed, but I think overall, it might be the better choice. Feel better Binx!!! |:|
    edited 29 August, 2010
    I don't know about the ear thing but sometimes with anesthesia anyone can get gas in their system. In the belly, the chest, etc. And gas is painful if it doesn't come out. Even for a person after surgery, they'll tend to fart a lot, LOL! I know, gross. But it's true. So if you haven't noticed him farting at all or if he hasn't pooped, he could have gas and be in some pain. Poor little guy has had a really rough time. I'm surprised they didn't give him Propoful for anesthesia. They give that to most everyone now because you wake up really fast, I had it. There aren't man lasting effects to it either. I'm pretty sure they had given it to Alex when she had her feeding tube put in. She woke up from the surgery and did really well. I'd have to look through her records though. If he's no better tomorrow, I hate to say it but he's got to go back to the vet. You don't want to risk him backing up or not eating again.:(
  • Arlye DruryArlye Drury DartmouthMember Posts: 826
    edited 29 August, 2010
    I just had a dental cleaning too (Friday)and two dental extractions, also - and my recovery has been nothing like yours! And I'm so sorry you are so miserable. Mumma noticed that I was restless when she brought me home. She had set me up in a kennel so she could keep a close eye on me. And she put in a cat bed that smelled like Caspurr (my nemesis) so I wouldn't sleep in it. She finally just put in a fleece pad and I fell asleep on it. Are you being given a pain med? I am getting Buprenex. All narcotics can have the unfortunate side effect of causing constipation and/or nausea. If you are taking a pain med, that could be contributing to your belly discomfort. As Alex said, gas can also be a problem. Anesthesia causes the bowel to slow down. Hoomans are encouraged to walk and move around as soon as they are steady enough to walk to help the gas move through the bowel. I hope you feel better soon!!
    edited 29 August, 2010
    Now why didn't I think to say that? :)) That sounded much nicer than make him fart! :-h:))
  • Susan WolfeSusan Wolfe Member Posts: 236
    edited 31 August, 2010
    Of the anesthetic drugs that are commonly used now, none is any \"better\" than the others. It is how they are used that matters and choosing the proper drug and protocol for the situation and the patient. Ketamine, as a matter of fact, is safer than propofol but propofol may be a better choice in some situations. I would not use ketamine in a cat with kidney disease because it is mostly eliminated through the kidneys in cats and could, therefore, cause the cat to be sleepy longer since they can\'t eliminate it as well. I also don\'t like to use ketamine in that 3 in one combo because I can\'t taper the amount to the patient as well as I can giving an analgesic/sedative pre-op followed by a ketamine/sedative IV induction. I do use ketamine in a lot of situations and believe it is an excellent drug. It has very good analgesic properties that propofol does not. It has been known to cause hallucinations in some people at certain doses but no one has ever proven that it does the same in cats.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 1 September, 2010
    just wondered how Binxie was doing
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Hello, Binxie is still recouperating. He's been up and about a lot more. He's still not 100% back to himself, but he's started coming out of his shell. I believe he's 'sulking' a bit. He's eating well, using his litter box and drinking water. Still sleeping quite a bit, but more active at night. He's still paying no attention to his 'brother' Jolson, but each day I'm seeing some improvement. He's still scratching his ears, so he'll be going back to the vets shortly for a check on that. I'm actually trying to find a reasonably priced vet that will come to the house for a visit so I don't have to stress him out by taking him out of his home again. I'm hoping by next week he'll be his old self again.
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Great to hear, we were wondering since we hadn't heard anything! Keep us posted!
    edited 6 September, 2010
    Binxie updated. It's been over a week now. Binxie is 99% back to normal. He stopped scratching his ears late last week and has pretty much returned back to normal with the exception of one thing. He's totally afraid of his ribbon. He has a ribbon that the loved to chase around the condo...over the chairs, in circles. It was his fav toy. Now he runs away from it when ever I move it. Weird. Going to have to find him a new fav toy I guess. Otherwise though, he's back to his old self. Thank you all for your support.
2»