Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Doing canned on a budget

Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALMember Posts: 4,692
edited 10 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I\'d like very much to switch the cats to raw, and I do plan on doing it, but I think I\'m going to need some time to get my ducks in a row. I\'m not sure which rout I\'d like to take just yet... and apparently doing raw for dogs, is much less complicated than doing it for cats... at least the dogs will actually EAT the raw :-O Until then, I\'m going to try and get them on all canned. I snagged some cheap upper-end cans the other day, but I\'ve only got about a week\'s worth. At some point I\'m going to have to go back and restock, and I doubt the nice grain-free AvoDerm formula is going to be $.45 again! What do you guys think of Authority (PetSmart brand)? I wouldn\'t come within a mile of touching their kibble, dog or cat... but I looked up the ingredients for the cat cans, and they don\'t seem too bad. Here\'s a few examples: Catfish Salmon Broth, Catfish, Animal Liver, Chicken, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Rice, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Taurine. Lamb Lamb Broth, Lamb, Animal Liver, Chicken Liver, Chicken, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Rice, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Brewers Dried Yeast, Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride. Turkey and Giblets Turkey, Turkey Broth, Chicken Giblets, Brewers Rice, Chicken, Ocean Fish, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite), Choline Chloride, Taurine. Couldn\'t get away from the brewer\'s rice, and of course unnamed meat sources make me kinda nervous... BUT, minimal grains, no by-products, and it sells for pretty cheap (I think I usually see it for $.50 a can). Opinions? Or maybe some other budget-friendly suggestions?

Comments

• Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Hi :-h I know how it is trying to find the best food on a budget. Definiately not easy. I feed Hunter 95% canned. He still has kibble which he doesn't eat. You can try fancy feast. I know lots of cats that like it, and there are certain varieties that are 'acceptable'. Check out www.ibdkitties.net and then click on Commercial Food. I know that its cheaper than the other higher quality canned food. If you have more than one cat then try the bigger cans. I know Wellness has the 13 ounce cans I think. Not sure on the exact amount, but it'll save you money in the long run. I know you can get coupons for Wellness monthly. I believe you have to call the company and ask, or sign up for a newsletter. Also, like I said if you have more than one cat, the cases of food might be better off for you. I'm not sure about the Authority food. I wouldn't feed it to Hunter because of the rice. He was on Science Diet when I got him and kept on sneezing. So he might have an allergy to corn/whatever else is in science diet. I'm not going to risk it. He is on Grain free only. Also, I buy cat food when I get paid, which is bi-weekly. This past weekend I bought 24 cans of food (Weruva, Merrick BG, Addiction, and Natures variety) and it cost me $32. Then again, I go to a holistic petstore which is individually owned. That will last me 2 weeks. Buy the largest size cans you can. You can always save the rest of the can, put it in the fridge and then sligtly heat it up for the next meal. Thats what I do, and it saves money. Think about it, a 3oz can is like 1.09 (Depends on the brand) and then the 5.5oz can is like 1.79 (again depends on the brand). Instead of buying 2 3oz cans, which would be 2.18 you're buying 1 5.5oz can at 1.79 and you're saving .39 cents! yea its only .39 cents but for me, thats worth it! Anyway sorry for such a long post, hope things work out for you. Good luck!:)
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Hunter has some great ideas there. There are grain free flavors of Fancy Feast, but I don't know how economical those little cans work out to be. There are some Friskies flavors that aren't bad - you'll see those on Alex's site. And the large cans of grain-free Wellness are a great idea and are very reasonable.
  • Eddie SEddie S north providenceMember Posts: 50
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Always go with organic, especially because they know what cats can, and CANT eat. I have this great holistic vet now that has enlightned me me to things i hadnt considered before. As for "going raw", I dont thin raw all the time is such a hot idea--maybe half the time. Remember we have been feeding and breeding cats for a couple thousand years, feeding them primarily what we eat, and they've made it thusfar. I feed my cat raw half the time, cooked half the time. Her new diet (no dryfood save for the dehydrated stuff) keeps her spry and, drum roll....NOT constipated EVER. BTW, i decided to make some sacrifices and go with the holistic vet (her consultation fee was a bit high but oh well). Money I would be spending on eating out and gadgets I dont really need goes towards feeding my cat the stuff she needs (like organic canned that my vet recommends). Think about the vet bills you will be spared by feeding your cat right..... healthy is cheaper! Canned is a company called "Wellness". Dry or dehydrated is Country Pet Naturals. I got the chicken because she didnt like the lamb which was like lamb jerky.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Actually you CAN get away from the brewer's rice AND that brewer's yeast, both of which can cause allergies. Avoderm is not a favorite choice of mine as avocados have no place in pet food! I'm sure maybe cooked, these toxins are almost completely eliminated, but for me, I don't like the idea: Avocados contain a toxic substance known as persin. Any part of the avocado plant including the leaves, stems, fruits and pits may contain persin and damage the muscle of the heart and even your cat's mammary glands. Defiinitely check out my website on this page, there's a whole list of the grain free flavors of each food available including FF and some others to at least get you through until you start doing the raw:http://ibdkitties.net/CommercialFood.html =;
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Sorry, also salt absolutely does not need to be added in cat food! That adds to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances the more you eat it.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALMember Posts: 4,692
    edited 9 September, 2010
    There are no avocados in the cat canned food... at least not in the one I buy :-k Sardine, Shrimp, & Crab: Sardine, Fish Broth, Shrimp, Crab Meat, Sunflower Oil, Salt, Guar Gum, Carrageenan, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin B1 Supplement, Vitamin B2 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid. And as far as Fancy Feast is concerned, you couldn\'t PAY me to feed a Purina product. I had two cats suffer kidney damage from their poisoned foods back in 2007, and I will NOT give them a single red cent, good product or not. At least not for any kind of pet food. The only Purina product I\'ve purchased in the last 3 years has been chicken feed, and I use that for litter. Honestly, that\'s the ONLY thing I think its good for... something for my cat to defecate in. So I\'m sorry, but I would rather risk a little bit of brewer\'s rice and salt, than support a company that aided in the deaths of hundreds of cats, not to mention seriously damaged two of my own. By Nature seems pretty good for the price... 6.5 oz for a grain free, 95% meat food. I might look in to trying that out some, and hopefully find something else I can add in periodically to offset costs.
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 9 September, 2010
    I use Purina Chicken Feed for litter too:)) Like others have said if you get the bigger cans (13.2 ounce ones) it is much cheaper than buying the 3 or 5.5 ounce cans. See if there are any small pet stores where you live as they tend to have much better foods than the chain stores. Sometimes the smaller stores have much better deals than the chain stores as well:)
    edited 9 September, 2010
    Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry that happened to you. Alex's IBD was set off by Purina Pro Plan. But she had been somewhat sick already, so I can't be sure it was that food. But she did get a lot worse after eating that stuff! Oh the avocados was because you mentioned Avoderm.:r
    edited 9 September, 2010
    I\'ll give Purina that one... their food makes good cat litter! The one I listed was the AvoDerm. I looked up all the cans, only one uses any form of avocado (oil), and its not one I\'ve ever tried. The KIBBLE most certainly does, however. I used to feed it to one of my pooches, never had any problems, but wouldn\'t choose to go back to it (even if he was still on kibble). I dislike Purina with a passion, and I\'m sure it did have something to do with your kitty\'s problem. I was fortunate, as mine\'s damage wasn\'t life-threatening (at least not immediately... who knows how many years of life have been shaved off by the damage :-/). As of today, they are still \"compromised\" (as my vet calls it), but doing well. I thought I was doing right with the higher-quality kibbles... now I just feel even more guilty I didn\'t look into this sooner.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 10 September, 2010
    Sorry to hear that Jett, it is so awful that so many of our pets were affected by this. I will tell you though that but Purina was in the recalls too, along with many many other brands that you may not know about because you sometimes have to really do alot of digging and research to find out what company makes what. Menu makes alot of different foods, and so does diamond, Mars, Proctor and Gamble, etc, etc all which were part of the 2007 recalls. Here is a site that will tell you about which company is which just click on the alpabetical order list. http://thepetfoodlist.com/
    I am more than aware of which companies were involved in the recall. I\'ve had issues in the past with feed Solid Gold/ToTW because I know they are produced by Diamond... which does bother me. BUT, I suppose it is easier for me to be forgiving of them than Purina, as I did not, personally, have any bad experiences with them.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    Jett, I'm so sorry to hear about your other cats - that's just awful. I certainly didn't mean to recommend a company you've had that kind of experience with. My point was more that any canned is better than kibble and you can feed quality canned for a reasonable amount of money. And *please* don't feel guilty. The fact that you're here and willing to do some research is the most important thing! We all just do the best we can and there's some really great advice here.