Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Nature\'s Variety

edited 17 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I've been feeding Alexis on Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free Rabbit Meal Dry Cat Food since the day I found here. She was about 8 weeks old when I caught her. She was with a wild mom and here in Australia feral cats are a HUGE strain on our wildlife. Anyway, I caught her and raised her since March of this year. She is still a bit wild, but fairly domesticated and she loves me. So, I've been feeding her on Nature's Variety Instrinct Rabbit formula. It's grain-free. I'm not feeding her raw - I cannot handle that! I'm a vegetarian and this is as far as I will go. I need to know if this is a good food. I've fed all my other cats on Purina Cat Chow before, but she would not eat it. The person at the pet store recommended Nature's Variety Instinct. He said the rabbit is close to what she would eat in the wild. I just want to make sure this is an okay food to feed. I love my Alexis so much! I've gotten her all her shots too!

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 16 September, 2010
    Hi there! NV is indeed very good food. High in protein, low in fat and carbs and good moisture content. We eat it everyday! We love it! Mom is a picky person when it comes to food because of losing Alex to IBD. So she wouldn't recommend this food if it wasn't good. Rest assured, you're doing great. Just stick with grain free foods like you're doing!=;
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    Whoopsy! Didn't mean to say it had a lot of moisture, I read it too quickly and thought you meant the canned NV. Sorry! :)) We don't eat that much dry at all, barely ever and when we do, we only get the Merrick BG. NV canned is a good food though and what I originally thought we were talking about. My bad.
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    Dry food generally isn't recommended here, but as far as dry food goes, you have picked one of the best :)
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 17 September, 2010
    Agreed. I feed Nature's Variety Raw but if I had to feed dry, I would feed their grain free dry. I was feeding it to my dog a few months ago, but now he's on raw too. Their dry food is very high in protein. Great stuff...for dry food :-) You should really give some canned, too.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 17 September, 2010
    Natures Variety is a good food, though we do not recommend dry food read a site called catinfo.org Could you maybe add some wet to your cats diet? Also another thing that I will add, will your cat eat any of the other flavours? I worry about the Rabbit formula, and I cannot recommend it as they do source their Rabbit from China, which in my opinion is not a good thing. Purrs to you for trying to find out about cat food. :)