Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Best Dry Food

Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
edited 27 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Good Morning :-h Huntys overly obsessive mom here. :)) First of all I want to start out by saying, Hunter does not get kibble as his main staple of food. He gets wet food 3 times a day. However, he is extremely picky, so I have to leave some kibble out so he'll eat something! He only gets 1/4 cup over night. Yes I have read catinfo.org and I know wet is better. I am almost done with the Wellness Core dry. I want to transition him slowly to another high quality dry food. I want to get away from the Wellness because of the crystals thread I saw. Hunter hasn't had a problem and I want to keep it that way. I read on ibdkitties.net the different dry foods. I was thinking Orijen, Merrick Bg, or TOTW. Bad? Good? I haven't read anything bad about them. I'm really intersted in the Orijen. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has to be grain free. TIA! ~Huntys crazy mom :)

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 September, 2010
    Good morning Hunter's crazy mommy! :)) Finney's mommy here! I feed my sister's two kitties who both have health issues Merrick B.G. and they do extremely well on it. As a matter of fact, that's the only dry food they can tolerate with no problems. Orijen is another good one, it's just too expensive for me. But you can try both and rotate them!:-h
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Hi Hunter, yes we have to put in our two cents here, please do not be mad at us we just have to state our opinion is all. :) Have you read this site? http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html Also will add that its not just that the dry food is bad, its also that their digestive systems need time to fast, its just to much pressure on the pancreas when you have food out for them 24/7 Having too much food available all the time can cause many diseases. Its great that you are feeding mostly wet food.=;
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    Hi Shadow:-h I'm not mad, everyone has their own opinion and I understand where you're coming from. Yes I have read that link and it does make complete sense. However, Hunter is extremely picky. I have no problem buying wet food and having him on a wet food diet. He is picky, he will not eat any chicken wet food besides weruva, likes beef but only certain brands. HATES Turkey, likes Lamb but only from Natures Variety, likes Addiction brand foods only the buffalo and Rabbit. Likes the Merrick Cowboy cookout. So I'm at the point where I buy what he likes, and even that, he won't eat it all. Its a struggle to get him to eat a can and a half a day. I have to put Eagle Pack Transition on the food to get him to lick that, and then taste the food. I have the dry food down to supplement for the calories he should be eating. If you have any suggestions on how to make him not picky and to eat the amount he should, I'm all ears. Any help would be grateful!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    Here is a few ideas for more calories or to entice cat to eat. PDG (made by Wysong) - as a palatability and nutrient enhancer of commercial foods, PDG may be sprinkled dry onto the surface of the food. PDG is made of a base of gently processed, concentrated meats and organs from various sources to provide the major natural proteins, fats, and calories. Vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and probiotic cultures are naturally derived, and provide nutrients to the animal in the form that its system was designed to recognize and utilize Clinicare RF - a feline liquid nutritional supplement from Abbott Laboratories. Guaranteed analysis for the product is: Crude protein 6.1%, crude fat 6.5%, crude fiber .05%, moisture 82%, ash 1%, calcium .12%, Phosphorus .10%, potassium .10%, sodium .04%, chloride .05% and magnesium .009% (also contains a vitamin B12 supplement). Note: Some say that Ensure (made for people) is similar and can be used for cats. Ensure is also much less expensive than CliniCare. Missing Link - The Missing Link was developed to target the nutritional gap between what nature provides and what is available in commercial foods. Formulated with all natural, human edible quality, whole foods and food concentrates, The Missing Link reintroduces unprocessed, nutrient-rich foods into the diet. It delivers naturally occurring enzymes (to improve digestion and help prevent allergic reactions essential fatty acids); omega-3 and omega-6 (for skin health and functions of the liver, heart, and brain); soluble and insoluble dietary fiber (for detoxification and bowel health); beneficial "friendly" bacteria (that assist in optimizing intestinal function); vitamins and major and trace minerals (to enhance general health and immune function); phytonutrients (that are disease-fighting and health-benefiting); electrolytes, antioxidants and amino acids; and proteins necessary for growth and maintenance. Also adding clam juice to the food that Hunter does not like, may entice or another one is Catsip milk, and Vitamin B12.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 23 September, 2010
    Hi Hunter! I do about the same thing that you do in that Maddox gets three "wet" meals a day (1/2 can of food, then two raw meals) but he also gets 1/4 cup dry food whenever I am going to be away from home for an extended amount of time. He was eating TOTW and he did well on it and liked it ok, but a lot of times he would only eat it a few kibbles at a time so it ended up being out for him longer than I really wanted it to. I recently decided on a whim to buy Blue Buffalo Wilderness and he LOVES it. With the TOTW, it wasn't uncommon for me to come home to find several kibbles still in the bowl. With the Blue Wilderness, there is NEVER anything left. I personally feel like Blue is a better company than the one that produces TOTW (made by Diamond Pet Foods) but that is personal opinion. I haven't tried any of the other brands so I can't comment on those. Good luck finding something that Hunter likes!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 23 September, 2010
    I'm gonna just stick to the topic at hand and reply that in my opinion, Orijen is the best kibble out there, it's expensive, but if you're only feeding one kitty a small amount each day a bag lasts a long time.
  • Ashley SzymkowiczAshley Szymkowicz KingstonMember Posts: 462
    edited 25 September, 2010
    I highly recomment Orijen. It is Binks' favorite. He came to me on science diet with very dry flakey skin and it disappeared within a couple weeks on Orijen. He is thriving and does very well with wet food only fed 2-3x a week. Might I add he is a picky little jerk and Orijen is one of the few foods he will eat lol
  • Danni BDanni B Member Posts: 123
    edited 27 September, 2010
    Sammy has tried Solid Gold, Evanger's, and TOTW. She liked them all, but Solid Gold is the favorite. They are all good foods. Solid Gold and TOTW are completely grain free, Evanger's is low-grain.