Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Pit\'r Pat \'mints\' moth problem

ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
edited 14 October, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Has anyone had any issues? I noticed upon opening one today that there was a strange looking dusty substance in the tin, so I tossed it. I opened another one, and there were moths crawling around inside! I had been wondering where my moth problem came from, and it seems it came from the cat mints, as the only place I have seen the eggs are in sealed Pit'r Pat packages (that strange grainy substance I observed, and remembered I'd seen before my moth problem kicked in) My 3 cats love their 'mints', but I am terrified to buy more! :( If any of you have these, please check the tins for a crumbly substance inside. (This is slightly darker than the mint color, and often sticks to the sides of the tin, as opposed to the powder that often collects as a result of 'mint residue') yuck!

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 25 September, 2010
    I never even heard of them, mol, but I would take them back to where you got them, and ask for your money back. If they tell you, you need the receipt, which you prob no longer have, tell them - you didn't save the receipt, you never ever thought, they would sell a defective product, that could make cats sick, like Menu Foods did, and if this is going to be an issue, you will tell everybody and their brother, that this store makes money, at cats expense, and your going to write a letter to the editor, telling the public all about this store, and *if* your cat gets sick, they **will** pay his vet bills, are prepared to go to court on this, and you will see the story on CNN. You shouldn't have to go any farther than the manager for this, mol, Bump excells at this stuff, mol. =D> And I would also call, do not email, the company that makes them, and file a report. Best of luck, let me know, if ya need any more help on this. =;
  • ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
    edited 26 September, 2010
    thank you! unfortunately, my mom bought them back east and mailed them to me. she has no idea where she bought them (could've been from two different stores!) I did email the company, but that's because it was Friday night when I found out and I had to let off some steam. LOL. They will get a call from me on Monday. I know the fur kids eat bugs on occasion, but I can't bear to think about them eating moth eggs. YUCK! definitely NOT kitty caviar! :))!
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 27 September, 2010
    I have seen these mints at Petco. Def get on the company. It seems like either a storage issue, or they are not controlling something - mints should not have moth eggs. Keep us posted!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 2 October, 2010
    We've used them in the past, the cats love them. Haven't had any in a year though, never saw what you're describing. Scary!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 5 October, 2010
    It could be that they are out of date and the store did not rotate the older stock and check the dates. Meowma said that does sound yucky....:-# But I love to chase moths and eat them. mol Good luck with this.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 October, 2010
    We had this problem once when Arthur and I were young and our mom was a poor college student. She bought us a box of kibble (I think it was either Cat Chow or Friskies, the best she could afford at the time), opened it and poured some in our dishes. A little while later, she saw moth larvae crawling up the wall above the dishes! :-O She called the manufacturer, and they told her that it can happen when the seal is compromised, allowing moths to lay their eggs inside. They apologized and sent her about $20 worth of coupons. :?
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 13 October, 2010
    Oh my! Sandy LOVES Pit'r Pat mints too, and I always buy them at Petco or Petsmart, but I always make sure the seal hasn't been tampered with, if it has, I don't buy it, and as far as I know I never have had a problem with them. Ewww Bea, that's GROSS!! :-O
  • ericka deciutiisericka deciutiis los angelesMember Posts: 193
    edited 14 October, 2010
    Yup, all the tins were perfectly sealed. Despite my contact, the company will not get back to me. Sad, because my kids love these, but I refuse to support a company that does not acknowledge a customer problem. I told my mom (the kids' Grammy) not to buy them anymore. Some of the tins I got were fine, but I don't want them to profit off my family any longer.