What is the best food to feed a five month old kitten?

Leila SakuraLeila Sakura Emo LaneMember Posts: 17
edited 4 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
What is the best food to feed a five month old kitten? Wet or dry?

Comments

• Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 26 December, 2006
    Either. If you had asked this question a year or 2 ago, the answer would likely have been dry food. The reasoning was because it helped to scrape the tartar off the teeth. It is now thought that the canned food does not cause more tarter, nor does the dry scrape off the teeth. Canned food has more moisture, which is helpful, especially in male cats where urinary crystals could cause urethral blockages. It also has more meat, which, being carnivores, cats need. The only real down side I can see to feeding the canned food is if kitty ever gets ill, it may be harder to find that "yummy" food to get them interested in eating, because they already get the yummy canned variety, as opposed to the dry food eaters. Make sure whatever food you are feeding is a kitten variety until you are about 1year old.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 26 December, 2006
    I would highly recommend: Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken (that what we eat here mixed w/ CS lite cat food-- www.solidgoldhealth.com and www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com), Royal Canin kitten (www.royalcanin.us), Blue Buffalo Spa Select, Natural Balance, Bil-Jac kitten (www.biljac.com), California Natural and Innova cat (both @ www.naturapet.com). Hope this helps!
  • Violetta MadejVioletta Madej TorontoMember Posts: 506
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Mom feeds me Innova Evo for cats...I love it and my sister switched over to it too she absolutely adores it...I'm so energetic and bouncy and happy...hehe..like on a constant sugar rush!!!