Best cost efficient canned food

Shannon HeronShannon Heron Member Posts: 40
edited 23 October, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I've recently been convinced into feeding out cats wet food instead of dry. I'd ideally love to have them on a raw diet but I'm currently at school and my mother is taking care of all our animals without my help so I would like to make it easier for her. Also, now that I'm in college, my mom's had to downgrade our pet's food because I no longer can afford top of the line stuff. But I'd like to change our cats from dry to wet but again, and again because I'm not home to help pay for feed, we'd like to find a reasonably priced wet food. PS. we're from canada so we might not have the same things as the US

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 30 September, 2010
    Hi Noodle! from what I am learning, the most important factor of all is to make sure it is grain free. There are grain free flavors in just almost all brands of canned foods, it just requires label reading. Boy have I been reading ALOT of labels lately myself! Check out Alex's website ibdkitties.net - there are lots of food info listed. I have been having some health issues, so we have been really looking at food types.
  • Shannon HeronShannon Heron Member Posts: 40
    edited 22 October, 2010
    I noticed the grain-free Fancy Feast that they list has menadione in it. ): I was consider getting that one until I found that out.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 22 October, 2010
    One way to save money is to buy food in larger cans. Some foods like Fancy Feast only come in those little 3 oz cans -- which is the most expensive way to buy. But some premium foods come in larger cans. Some even come in 13.2 oz cans, which offer big savings. At a local store, the 3 oz cans of premium food are around $1.19. But, a 5.5 oz can of Evo 95% Chicken and Turkey is $1.59 -- a good deal compared to the 3 oz can -- AND a 13.2 oz can is $2.10. BIG savings! If I could get Fancy Feast for 50¢ a 3 oz can (which I can't -- it's over 50¢ now), it would still cost more for a comparable amount. One local store also gives a discount for buying a case, plus you build 'points' for a cash discount after buying a certain amount -- another way to save.
  • Marla BradfordMarla Bradford Palm Beach CountyMember Posts: 630
    edited 22 October, 2010
    We've learned to save money by buying the larger cans as well. It has also allowed us to fully convert Miss P to wet food only!!! A big can of Wellness costs about 1.28 US dollars and is about 161-180 calories, depending on the variety. This is enough for Miss P, who is a small boned kitty and an indoor couch potato. We give her half in the morning and half at night. In between, she gets a treat (either a malt treat to prevent furballs or cranberry treat to prevent UTI's. SHE LOVES THEM!!! I just have to crinkle the bag and she comes running!). So, we average about 35 dollars a month for her food.
  • Alexa TravisAlexa Travis Birmingham, ALMember Posts: 4,692
    edited 22 October, 2010
    I\'ve been getting cases of the PetSmart SophistaCat brand to help with costs. Not the best quality by a long shot, but grain free, no glutens, and no menadione (this is a MAJOR deterrent for me as well). They\'re about $.38 for a 5.5 oz can, which helps a LOT with costs. Here\'s the ingredient list for the Ocean Whitefish & Tuna (the main one I\'m feeding now): Ocean Whitefish, Animal Liver, Fish, Meat By-Products, Fish Broth, Tuna, Guar Gum, Salt, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamins(Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamin Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Manganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite).
  • Hashini GunasingheHashini Gunasinghe Member Posts: 121
    edited 22 October, 2010
    My momma had to do a lot of research on this cause she's a starving college student and she likes to joke about how we eat better than she does these days. She told me to relay this to you: One thing to pay attention to is how much to feed a cat. I think one of the less expensive canned foods (don't remember which) actually ends up costing more than a can of wellness or other grainfree brand because you actually have to feed a lot more 5.5oz cans a day for your cat to fill his nutritional needs. One brand that I think is pretty low cost but still a great food (though not grain free) is Natural Balance. I think some of their limited ingredient diets may actually be grain free. Its in Alex's list but I'm not suer if everything in his list is grain free. I've also found the Evo Cat and Kitten Chicken and Turkey (not the 95%) to be decently prized if bought in the 13.2 oz cans. I do a rotation diet but one of those big cans is enough for both my growing kittens for a day. I buy it bulk and it costs $2.19 per can. Its more expensive than the natural balance which would cost about $1.50 to feed per cat.
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 23 October, 2010
    The best way to save money after finding a food that your cat likes is to buy it in bulk. As my mommy has learned, the trick is finding one the cat likes. Grain free obviously is best, but one that I do like often is Blue Buffalo Spa Select - but only the turkey one. It has brown rice in it. But it has no corn, no wheat, no animal by products. So its still better than many of the other things out there. It usually costs about 10 cents less a can than the Grain free wellness, so you might as well get the wellness but if 10 cents savings will help, then hey its not a totaly bad deal. One time we got the cans of the Blue Spa for only 85 cents each, so that was a nice deal. Its one of the ones I eat pretty well so its staying in the rotation for us for a while, though eventually mommy tells me I will be grain free, even if it takes years to get there :-P Mommy remembers being in college and she knows that usually you end up with a check of the "left over funds" - and says maybe you could either send some of that to your mommy or pick up a case or two of food when you get that money back. It might seem like cheating but if it helps keep you fed then its probably worth it :-)