Need food for chylothorax and diabetes

Denise DiLosaDenise DiLosa MetairieMember Posts: 128
edited 26 October, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I've been trying to read labels but I'm no good at this. Blitzen got diadosed with Chylothorax 2 days ago and they recommend she eats a low fat diet. She is already on fancy feast for her diabetes and I've been reading the labels and they appear to be low fat but I'm 100% sure. She did develope this while on it. Can anyone suggest a food that is both low in carbs and low in fat?

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 30 September, 2010
    Yes, you need to go completely grain free to be low in carbs. Any of the FF you're feeding now might have gluten in it. There are several flavors of FF without gluten but still have by-products and additives. The best thing to do is go with a high quality protein source that's more natural. Something like Evo, Nature's Variety, Natural Balance, Merrick Before Grain, any one of those. I have a whole list of grain free foods on my site: http://ibdkitties.net/CommercialFood.html. And try to stick with only canned food, no kibble. I have the flavors there listed of the FF without gluten. But like I said, I'd go more natural than that if you can. These are just better quality foods.=;
  • Denise DiLosaDenise DiLosa MetairieMember Posts: 128
    Thank you but I need a food that is low in fat also. This is extremely important, we are trying everything possible to avoid future chest taps and hopefully save her life.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    Blitzen do you have a certain fat percentage that you need to stay below? I ask because I can try & look at some foods to help you. I have been reading alot of labels for Smitty's health, and I may run across something that can help you too. Check out Alex's site though too! Alex has been such a help to me!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    You can look up some of the nutrional comparisons on this chart, although this was only updated in 2008 so there are many more foods out there that's not included on this site. http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html
  • Denise DiLosaDenise DiLosa MetairieMember Posts: 128
    edited 7 October, 2010
    Thank you for all the links to the charts. However i'm not really sure if they helped much as I did not see her current food on there. Everything she eats is off this list, http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm. However at this point she may only have days left and I'm not really concerned about the diabetes. I need to know what the lowest fat cat food is. She will only eat cat food so boiled chicken probably will not work. I'm going to the feed store for lunch for dog food. If anyone has any idea please let me know. thank you
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 October, 2010
    Below is a link to a table that has been partly updated recently, showing when the data for each food was last obtained. Unfortunately, many of the manufacturers don't respond or don't give meaningful data, so there are a lot of blanks on the charts. http://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm Just click on "The Nitty Gritty: The Food Data Table" and it will take you down the page to the section with the tables -- but I made the link for the top of the page so you can see the other information available. Please note: This chart is on Tanya's Chronic Renal Failure Site, and although CRF kitties are more concerned about things other than fat content, the percentage of fat is shown. When I looked quickly at the list, it shows some of the Fancy Feasts and some Weruva foods are much lower in fat than the others. But this table lists foods from low to high according to the phosphorus content (for CRF cats), so the Fancy Feast foods -- or Weruva or any other brand -- are strung throughout the list. You could use the "find" feature on your browser (under "Edit") to find all the Fancy Feast entries, or whatever brand you wish to check, so you can compare. I hope that will be some help. EDIT: The entries for the Weruva foods seem to all have Footnote 2 applied to them, saying that the fat content data given is "minimum" so the fat could actually be higher. I'm sorry those entries won't be much help to you.
  • jane collinsjane collins SunnyvaleMember Posts: 107
    edited 26 October, 2010
    Hills Science Diet lowfat is good.