Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Switching to a premium food

Bre-Ann RochaBre-Ann Rocha LansingMember Posts: 211
edited 5 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
As some of you may know, I was adopted 2 weeks ago. My new mommy was told that I was being fed a purina food by my previous owners and then my foster mom was feeding me Nutro (which is the same food my new mom feeds anyways so she didn't buy me any of that purina stuff) Welll.... she noticed that I actually was not eating the Nutro food at all. She trid giving me a feline greenie treat, I really liked that but then I threw it up. No more greenies for me. Out of despreation she went out and bought me some of that Purina One for sensitive systems. I ate it like it was going out of style. Now problem one is that she tried mixing a little bit of the nutro in with the purina.... thats a no go. I'm not dumb, I ate around it. Problem two, Carlos my new brother who has been on nutro his whole life is now eating the purina food. Neither of us like can or pouch food. anyone have any advice? Milo

Comments

• Sha LiSha Li HammondMember Posts: 390
    edited 28 December, 2006
    I guess your mommy has to get both the purina one and Nutro ready for you and your brother, since you both like different food.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 28 December, 2006
    My advice is that if they do well on Purina ONE, just keep them on it. It's not a horrible food, although there are better ones out there. If you want to give another food a try, I would recommend Royal Canin Sensitive cat (i can't remember the exact name...might be "Special cat") or California Natural Chicken & Rice. The Royal Canin is similar to Purina but better ingredients, and California Natural is great for sensitive cats because it only has 3 ingredients!! (Chicken meal, white rice, brown rice, vitamins/minerals). You can see more on where to find California Natural at www. naturapet.com Hope this helps!
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 29 December, 2006
    Purina is a horrible food in my opinion. Nutro is a good food but it tends to be kind of bland. I'd suggest going to a local pet store and getting samples of all the different kinds of healthy pet foods. Wellness is a usually really popular and so is Natural Balance. Innova EVO is a big hit in our family.
  • Melanie BenoitMelanie Benoit CochraneMember Posts: 3,101
    edited 2 January, 2007
    I agree with Angel, you should give a try to another brand of better food. Purina One is a very low grade food to not say bad. I was feeding Iams before and was not happy with the results on my cats. I have switch to Solid Gold and will now switch over Orijen (canadian food that is similar to Inova Evo) because of one of my kitties alergies. You should do like Angel said. To go to your local pet store and ask for some samples to give a try. I have heard good thing about Wellness and the other brand Angel listed. About the cost. If you think that will cost you too much I will tell you that I have 8 cats and feed premium cat food to my cats and it doesn't really cost me more a month since the better food last longer. Good luck finding a new food.
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Unfortunately, Mom says that higher quality foods aren't always as yummy to us as some of the lower quality foods. That's cuz they coat the lower quality food with things *I* think are yummy (*Mommy* says they're icky, though...like animal digest...YUMMMM!). Nutro is a decent middle-of-the-line kind of food. We liked it, but Mommy switched us again to an even better food. Mommy gave us a taste test when we were switching...your mommy might see if any feed stores will provide samples to see what you like best.