Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Kitty Weight Loss

Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
edited 6 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Well, I just came back from my Annual Vet Visit and vaccinations. I also had adult wellness bloodwork done, hopefully that will be fine, everthing seemed to look OK, except~ The Vet told Mom that at 13 lbs, 6 ozs, I am about 2 lbs overweight, whoops! The Vet suggested going to a low calorie food and portion control . I also have a Sister, who is younger (I\'ll be 3, at the end of March), and i admit, I like to snack on her food too. Right now, I\'ve been eating Eukanuba Dry and Wet food. (And some of my Sister\'s Hills Dry Food). Any suggestions other than what the Vet had, and does anybody know of some real tasty low calorie kitty foods? We know that you don\'t really put kitty\'s on diet\'s and any weight loss has to be gradual, but, we\'d welcome any tips. Thanks, Gracie

Comments

• Courtney DeemsCourtney Deems ParkersburgMember Posts: 177
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Anything over 12lbs. for most cats is considered overweight by most account, but since you\'re not severly overweight, you may want to consider portion control vs. a change in diet. If you are consistenly snacking on your sister\'s food, your mommy may want to begin feeding you in separate rooms for a certain amount of time twice a day. (Some even suggest smaller meals three to four times a day if this is feasible.) If your mommy free feeds with the dry food, she may want to consider gradually stopping the free feeding or maybe eliminating the dry food altogether. (I\'ve been told and also read that an all canned food diet is becoming the perferred option on all sides of the fence.) However, if both you and your sister are both a little heavy, or if your mommy has her heart set on a low-calorie diet, my best advice is to do your research. Science Diet and Royal Canin both offer low calorie foods, both will come highly recommended, and both will also be frowned upon for one reason or another. For obvious reasons, all food manufactures will have \'valid\' reasons as to why their food is the best. But, in the end, the \'best\' food is one which your mommy feels good about, is within the family budget, and, of course, that you will eat. The best of luck!!! ~Booger~
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 5 January, 2007
    I need to lose some weight, too. My Human is limiting my total daily calorie intake to about 300. You can find the "as fed" calorie content of foods here: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html The rule of thumb is to feed 20 calories per ideal (not current) body weight. So if your target weight is 10 pounds, then you need about 200 calories a day. Low calories foods tend to be higher in other nutrional parts like carb content or phosphorus content. The charts will help you compare different brands of foods and the nutrional content of different things. Excercise will also help you lose some weight. Playing with interactive toys and chasing after siblings count.
  • P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Me and my brother got nabbed by the vet for our weight last week too. Like you we were eating Eukanuba dry. The vet recommended the prescription weight restricted Eukanuba but mommy has decided that was a little extreme, so she is now slowly switching up to Eukanuba Chicken Weight Control (that you get at the pet store). Euk dry is VERY high in calories (over 500 a cup) so we are trying just going to the weight control and also watching that we dont get more than a cup or so a day between the two of us, but not going crazy on the diet and separate feeding and limited time feeding.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 4 January, 2007
    Don't forget exercise. Even 15 min. a day can help with weight loss.
  • Ashley FisetAshley Fiset ConcordMember Posts: 6
    edited 5 January, 2007
    I've always been a plus sized kitty because I am bit lazy and have always loved my crunchies. I've tried Science Diet, Innova Evo and other commercial diet foods but I have finally found one that I love: Purina O/M (Overweight Management). In the past year I have gone from 16.6 pounds to 15.6. I prefer this food over my sister's Felidae which says a lot because I usually stick my nose up at diet food. Mommy would love me to eat a healthier holistic food but for now she wants what's best for me and that is too lose weight so that I can live furrever. I am going in for a check up soon so I am sure my mom will ask 20 questions as usual about my weight and other random things then we will figure it out from there.
  • Amanda LockabyAmanda Lockaby Gainesville, GAMember Posts: 156
    edited 5 January, 2007
    I weigh an embarassing 16lbs right now, but since my virus in November have been on a very strict diet. I eat 1/4 cup 3 x\'s a day. For Christmas I got one of those Petmate Le Bistro Electronic Portion Control feeders and it helps soooo much. I was using Science Diet but once I read the ingredients on the back of the bag, I realized it wasn\'t giving Tinker Bell all the nutrients she needed for food. For the past few months she\'s been eating Royal Canin - and boy that food even smells fresher than all of the others. Her coat is so shiney and she\'s satisfied/full longer.
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 5 January, 2007
    Thanks so much for all the advice. Mom is giving it some thought and will talk some more to the Vet Tech when she takes my stool specimen (yuckk) in next week. Mom says she knows she needs to lose weight, too, so, we\'ll keep an eye on our diet\'s together! After my stressful day, yesterday, I was feeling a little bit tired. The Vet says that\'s not unusual, especially, with the Rabies vaccine, pretty common for kitty\'s to feel a bit lethargic for a day or two. Sure glad that\'s over though!!
  • Chezley MantylaChezley Mantyla Member Posts: 22
    edited 6 January, 2007
    how do i get my cat to lose 5 lbs or more? He weighs about 20 lbs and doesn't really like to exercise. What kind of toys do fairly non active cats like?
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 6 January, 2007
    Hi Fat B! I feel for you I am chubby too...there is a toy called \"Cat Dancer\" It doesn\'t look like much and it is inexpensive but boy does it make us jump!!! Basically it is like piano wire which we can\'t really see and at the end is a little pressed paper thing that looks like a little birdie or flying insect and it is fun! Hope your mom finds it (we are sure e-bay or online somewhere. Good luck and have fun dancin\'
  • Pat BeckPat Beck Spokane/SouthhillMember Posts: 878
    edited 6 January, 2007
    Well, I seem to be feeling myself again, after being a little sluggish, post vaccinations, so, Mom says we\'ll be thinking more about gradually losing some weight, or at least trying to not gain anymore :-) Thanks again for the good ideas!! Gracie
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 6 January, 2007
    I've always been full-figured. Mom's tried putting me on all sorts of reduced calorie diets and none of them made any difference. Funny thing is, I don't really eat that much--it's just that what I eat goes straight to my hips! heh I do love to play, though. My favorite is the laser pointer. Shoe laces are fun, too! When I was younger, I liked to play fetch with hair ties, but now I prefer to take them under the futon and sing to them. I run around a lot, even despite being chunky and having a gimpy hip (I dislocated it when I was 4). My vet says I'm "pretty healthy," so I'm not that worried about being a little round. ;-)
  • Chezley MantylaChezley Mantyla Member Posts: 22
    edited 6 January, 2007
    Thanks wally foryour advice. I'll make sure either mommy or daddy buys it for me (my birthday's coming up in the next couple of months).