Persian vs. Exotic

edited 29 November, 2010 in Choosing the Right Cat
What is the difference between these two breeds? I often see breeders advertising Exotics as Shorthaired Persian. But, I've also see Longhaired Exotics, which look exactly like Persian. Then, there are Himalayans. Sometimes I see them listed as Himalayans and other times as Color Point Persians or Himalayan Persian. Are these all the same breed with different names or three seperate breeds? I'm so confused!

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 29 November, 2010
    They are all the same, with different coats, for all intents and purposes. Exotics came about when the Persian breeders started mating the 'oopsie' shorthairs that look like persians but got the short coat, so they are short haired persians. A long hair exotic has Exotic parents, but is a throwback to the long haired (Persian) ancestors. Himalayans (color point longhair) have Siamese in the mix,intentionallly introduced ages ago. Confused yet?:))