Marking in the house (long)

Charlene luportCharlene luport NapaMember Posts: 1,094
edited 12 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Pico recently started marking walls floors etc. Recently a kitchen counter. If I cant figure out how to stop it my roommate is goona boot him. I plan on getting one of those kitty plug ins next payday and maybe a calming collar. Any product recommendations??? Hes healthy neutered high strung year old. Ive never had this issue with him before I'm thinking me moving into a different bed room scared and stressed him since the marking started after that. I did not move far just across the hall but it was alot of cleaning and craziness for a few days. Hes high strung and can be jumpy. I clean the box daily and going to add a second box in my room so he don't have to travel out to the garage. Ugg any help greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 December, 2010
    First, tell your roomate, if she boots him, she is gonna have to deal with the big Bump, and it ain't gonna be pretty. Second, whose name, is the lease in. Kitties do not sit up nights, thinking how they can upset their mommys and daddys, and how they can be little baddy boys and girls. They are not like humans, they do not have that thought process. If kitties stop using the cat box, there is a reason for it, and as responsible parents, we have to figure out why. There are many reasons, why a kitty stops using the cat box. One is grains, grains cause crystals, crystals block them from peeing, a cats urethera, is very very small, and crystals are about the size of a grain of sand. If, he should be blocked, and unable to pee, you have 12 hours to get him to the vet, or its too late. What do you feed? Grocery store brands are loaded with grains, glutens, and by products. Cat boxes, and he should have 2, like you said, should be in a quiet out of the way area, and not in a high traffic area and not in a noisey area, like a garage might be, or near a washer/dryer/furnace, that might suddenly come on and scare the kitty. It should not be an Indianna Jones adventure for him to try and get to the cat box either. Cat boxes should be picked dailey, well bedded, and put a box of baking soda in there, to help with the smell. Stress can also set this off, which you said, it was kinda hectic for a few days. Confine him to your room for a few days, with 2 cat boxes, try the feliway plug in, I have no experience with it, mol, never needed it, but I see alot on here recommend it. And tell your roomate, that if she is upset with the kitty, he can feel that too, and it just adds to the stress, just as we know, if someone is upset with us, we can feel it, and it stress's us out too. Best of luck, the others will also have some really good ideas. =; :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D