Candy for Cats

I'm sure this sounds terrible, but my cats LOVE candy. They will eat peppermints, candy corn, and M&Ms. I know that none of this is really good for them, but can they have it once in a while? I never give any to Hayley anymore because of her GDS (Gastric Dumping Syndrome), but the other kitties enjoy a sweet candy treat once in a while (away from Hayley so she doesn't get jealous). Is this okay or should I not be doing this? My kitties really have a sweet tooth! They will beg from the candy jar! :))

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 29 November, 2010
    Personally I think this is a really bad idea. In addition to things like chocolate being poisonous to cats, the chemicals and sugar in candy is not good. Please don't feed candy to your cats.
  • Lily DeLaurieLily DeLaurie Member Posts: 184
    edited 30 November, 2010
    They sell something called CAT CANDY at Petco. Do NOT give chocolate to your cats!
  • ALLEYCATANGELALLEYCATANGEL Member Posts: 536 ✭✭
    edited 3 December, 2010
    I agree it might be a really bad ideal to let them have candy. I know it is hard to deny them but I am getting really good at tellig my kitties "no" I hope it will make it easier on both them and me as they will have fewer health issues.
  • edited 6 December, 2010
    It is not a good idea to give candy to cats.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 7 December, 2010
    No offense but I'm truly floored that you do this. As the others have said, candy is just the worst idea! Chocolate is toxic to cats and sugars, sugar substitutes, sweeteners, chemicals in the candy, etc. is doing nothing but damaging their livers having to filter all of that out and making their pancreas work very hard. All of this can lead to diabetes, pancreatitis, liver disease, clogged arteries, etc. A cat's system is so much more sensitive than a humans. You have to understand that by saying NO, you're being a much better parent in the long run. :-O
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 12 December, 2010
    How about drugs?
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 12 December, 2010
    ...Heh heh heh, catnip that is!