Wild kitten behavior

Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
edited 20 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Socko just turned six months old today and he is generally very sweet and shows a loving relationship with me, but this morning he showed nothing but anger and frustration. He was mad at me for some reason. I suppose it was because I put him on the carpet floor on his back and he didn't like that. I was going to rub the soft part of his body but he just flipped over, made a growl sounding noise, and scratched me with his back claws and bit my arm through my shirt and left pointy teeth marks. There are also deep claw marks all over my hand. So then I stood up and tried to leave him alone and he grabbed my leg and kicked it with his back legs and bit it really hard. It hurt real bad so I tried to get away but I was afraid I'd hurt him if I tried any harder to pull my leg away but I just had to pick him up and put him aside. I then tried to apologize by picking him up and snuggling him which he usually loves and purrs when I do but he just growled and bit my cheek, bit my glasses off and into the floor, and then struggled to get away. Then he ran up the strairs real fast and I followed. I later tried to apologize again by feeding him one of his favorite kinds of treats out of my hand and stroking his neck and head. He seemed to like that okay and rubbed up against me but he still did not seem quite as appreciative of it as he usually does. He has never been like this towards me until today. What should I do because I feel really bad?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 18 December, 2010
    Is he neutered? :D You also need to clean your wounds really well, with soap and water, then use rubbing alcohol, and put some antibiotic cream on it, and keep it clean. :D
  • Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
    edited 18 December, 2010
    Yes, he is nuetered. As a matter of fact, he came from a shelter where dogs and cats are always to be spayed/nuetered before they set a whisker through the door. I meant to include that but I forgot. :))
    edited 18 December, 2010
    How much handling/training/teaching manners/boundries has he had? :D Just a reminder, mol, kitties go in a kitty box, and deep claw marks, can easily become infected, make sure you take care of them, mol, don't want you getting sick. :-h Do you clip his claws? :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 19 December, 2010
    There's no telling what started his "mood" but in the future try not to follow/snuggle/pet him after an attack. As you found out, it can be dangerous and it probably doesn't help the behavior. Ignore and walk away, like a time-out. Even the most even-tempered cats have times that they just don't want to be bothered. Watch for the signals and heed them!
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 19 December, 2010
    BK is right -- even sweet cats need their "time outs" once in a while. Coop is an abnormally affectionate, even-keeled cat. But there are times when we're playing that he'll get overstimulated...or in other instances, overly curious... Does he understand the word "NO!" yet? For me, it's the most efective bad behavior tool. It took Coop some time, but he understands what that means. And when he does something he's not supposed to do, I just use a very stern "NO!" and point my finger. And then I walk away and ignore him. Usually one time will work with Coop. If he goes back, we repeat the "NO!". And usually, he calms down and ten minutes later, he's back to being himself. Hope that helps! Purrs, Coop's Mom
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 19 December, 2010
    It takes time and patience to teach a cat manners. I didn't have really good manners when I came to live with Mom but I soon learned what "NO!!", "NO TEETH!!", "NO CLAWS!!" AND "DOWN!!" means. Mom used a squirt bottle to enforce the message when I got hard headed. Now Mom calls me "Mr Velvet Paws" cause I'm so gentle.:)):))
    edited 20 December, 2010
    Charley is right, you "have" to teach them manners, what is expected of them, what is not tolerated, and boundries. Mine are extremly well behaved, but, they were taught as little kittens, they never ever acted like that, they cannot, ever, pull that crap, in a show ring. This did not happen overnight, it takes alot alot of love, and alot alot alot of patience, and, ya have to teach them one thing at a time, and do not go to the next one, until they fully understand, what your teaching them now. Mine were extensivley handled as 8 week old kittens, and went to many "schools", one school at a time. They know a plethera of words, and they know what each one means, and you have to use the same word, each time, you have to be consistant, with the word or words, that associates, with what your teaching them, and, they have to be taught a "base" word first, such as NO, and Un Un Un. Show kitties don't act like that, they can't, but they were also taught and trained. Just my opinion. =; :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D