Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Would You Show Your Kitty :-)

Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
edited 22 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
We had some really great discussions, with the different posts/subjects of kitten vaccinations, declawing and breeders. Everybody had some really good thoughts and opinions, on both sides, and I learned alot. :D So I got thinking, mol, because I see so many very pretty, beautiful and just striking kitties on here, and often thought, gee, he/she would do very well at shows. :D So I was wondering, if you had the opprotunty, money, means, etc, would you show your kitty? I am not talking about the breeders and breed kitties, I am talking about our kitties on here, that are not registered breed cats. :-k Keeping in mind, that CFA and TICA have a HHP (Household Pet) division, kitties do not need to be registered. And keeping in mind, altho they do charge an entry fee, you do not win any money, you win ribbions and trophies, and as with any hobby, you do it for fun, because you enjoy doing it. :-h I am throwing this wide open and making it as broad as I can, as with any discussion, people's thoughts and opinions, can lead to other discussions, mol, that, and Bump don't have no more allowance money left, to pay Smokey, to write, I will stay on subject, 300 times, mol. :-h I show Bump and the kittens, because they geniunely like it. Bump has this attitude about him, like, here I am, look at me. With the kittens, its more of a, wow, this is way cool, we get to play with toys all day, climb poles, lots of peoples is petting us and oh and ah over us all day, we gets carried around the show hall, gets to see lots of cool stuff, and we gets to run and play in the hotel, kinda like going to Disney Land for them, and Cowboy will sit up all night, and watch the GPS thingy, when we travel with my friend, kinda like he is watching TV, Cruiser is a snoozin in the carrier. To Smokey, showing is beneath her. She tolerates it. She is very well behaved, and does what she is supposed to, but its more like, hurry up and judge me, so I can go back in the cage, and sleep. When the ring is done, its like, ma, can I go back to my bench cage now. At her bench cage, its like, don't bother me, wake me when its time for the next ring. When the show is over, its like, can we go home now ma? And don't wake me up, until we are home. And no, there is nothing wrong with her, at home, she runs and plays like a crazy girl. She just can't be bothered with showing, its beneath her, mol, so she no longer goes out on the circuit. :? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 7 December, 2010
    we showed HHP for two shows. Tiny won a few ribbons before she decided she was done. she growled at the judges but was fine with strangers petting her at her benching cage. The cat show is where we confirmed Tiny was a mixed oriental shorthair. if i ever had a cat who would tolerate showing, id do it again.
  • Suzanne BrunerSuzanne Bruner Member Posts: 440
    edited 7 December, 2010
    I would love to show Amber, but she doesn't do well with new people, being picked up (I can get away with this one but not for long periods), being touched unless she initiates it (I can also get away with this one), other animals, crowds, or loud noises. She is also perfectly willing to bite or scratch if she is pushed on any of these issues. She does give a warning first, but she WILL go there. Showing her would be unpleasant for everyone involved. I hate that because she's gorgeous but there you are.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 8 December, 2010
    Meowma says I have to get a bath tomorrow--and I have to go to North Carolina Friday...there is a Cat Show up there she is going to...::o she doesn't have any other cats now so it's GOT to be me! HELP!!!!!! I am old and fat and Meowma is about to embarrass me to death! (But I'll probably win anyway) ((((((Meowma here. I am going to the cat show as a vendor. And since my niece can't stay with BooBoo per usual while I'm gone, and I'm staying at the 'show' hotel, I'm just taking her with me. I've been wanting to see how she deals with going on a trip anyway. BooBoo gets a bath tomorrow because she has some bumps around the base of her tail, where she can't groom, and brushing doesn't get the oils off. As to the original post, I actually want to get a show cat at some point. And it might be sooner than later, if one of the show people wanted to barter a retired kitty or something, or I find a good looking enoug one--i've given up and have to go look for a new distraction for BooBoo because I don't think Ringo is coming back. Besides, I ilke having more than one cat.))))))
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 8 December, 2010
    I never really thought about showing Hunter. I think he'd go nuts. He hates being held for too long, unless he is on his back limp like a ragdoll. If he is petted too much, he'll let you know by clamping down on your hand. He doesn't like men. He will tolerate my father. I don't know why. He will actually hiss at men. Maybe when he was a tiny kitten a man abused him? No idea. Anyway, I think if I were to show Hunter it would be a major disaster! Picture a cat freaking out in a cage, getting away from the judges and bolting down the arena. That would be Hunter! lmao :))
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 9 December, 2010
    I am a scardy cat. I will hide when new people come around, or sit up on the top of the cat tree untill they leave. I may take hours or days to warm up to someone enough to let them pet me. If they catch me they can pick me up, but Ill usually wiggle free. I dont like most guys at all. I only growl and hiss at the vets, but I dont like the smell of other animals being near by. We had a cat on the porch once and I tried to break the door down by pouncing on it. For all those reasons, Mommy would never try to show me. But she thinks I am beautiful. If I had the right temperament for it, and wasnt such a scardy cat, she said she would. When people actually get to see me they are so impressed with how pretty I am. I get lots and lots of compliments! Mommy knew when she saw me, I was the most gorgeous kitty she had ever seen. She was in love, and still is. Mommy says none of my pictures do me any justice at all because her camera is not that great and the lighting in the house always puts a yellowish tint on all the pictures too.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 9 December, 2010
    I see lots of pretty HHP's on here !!
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 10 December, 2010
    I recently took Oliver to his first show. It was an American Cat Fanciers\' Association (ACFA) show. ACFA registers, scores, and titles HHP\'s. Oliver did very well at his first show, he handled very well, just a little tentative. He made 5 out of 8 possible finals and got over half the points he needs to become a ACFA Royal HHP. I do plan to keep showing him as long as he enjoys it. Several people asked me what breed he was, and were surprised to find out he\'s a shelter cat. He\'s a solid dark gray kitten who likely has a little Siamese in him, and several people thought he was a Russian Blue. HHP is a fun class. I\'ve even heard some judges comment that it\'s their favorite class because they can do what they want as there is no breed standard for HHP\'s. Most cat show exhibitors start out in HHP. Many purebred exhibitors still have a HHP (or two) at home. I also show in purebred in CFA Premiership (altered cats) and ACFA Alters class. Linus is cream European Burmese and Rider is a natural mink Tonkinese. I\'ve had a lot of fun showing Linus, and Rider is just getting started with his show career. Linus was the first cat I ever showed. He was bought as a \"pet\", but later his breeder suggested that I try showing him. I thought we\'d try it, and he went on to become a CFA Grand Premier. As Bumpurr stated, showing cats is a hobby. There\'s no money to be won. But you do get to meet a lot of nice people and see a lot very beautiful cats. I also like traveling with my cats. Of course, it\'s also thrilling to see your cat makes a final and win some pretty rosettes and points too!
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 10 December, 2010
    AT one time I was considering showing Shade and Smudge in HHP, but I think that at 2 years of age they are probably to old to start. Shade isn\'t scared by much and is interested in meeting new people, but he hates baths and there was a bad incident at the vet\'s recently where he would have happily skinned 3 humans rather than have his eye checked. However, we always get compliments on his looks. I used to think that Smudge would be fun to show in cat agility because he is a great jumper, but I think that he would be very nervous with everything going on at the show, and he\'s not thrilled by new people at all, but he is very gentle and has a great disposition. I don\'t think that my 3rd cat, Chaucer, would be show quality at all (poor boy, don\'t tell him!). Purrs, Shade\'s mom
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 10 December, 2010
    Shade, just wanted to let you know 2 years old is not too old to start showing. Kittens must be at least 4 months old to enter a show, but there is no upper age limit. I did not show Linus til he was a year and a half old. Mickey went to his first show in HHP when he was 12! I\'ve occasionally seen elderly cats at shows too. I recently saw a 12 year old cat in Premiership and once I saw a 15 year old cat in HHP. Anyway, just wanted to let you know, it\'s never too late to try. You could try taking him to PetCo or PetSmart and see how he behaves first. If you are at all interested in showing, I say go for it and give it a try! Often times cats are scared at their first show, and sometimes it does take a couple shows before they know they will be okay. Judges know this and usually don\'t \"penalize\" the cat. If a cat bites, scratches, or otherwise injures a judge - the cat will be disqualified though. It\'s also a show rule that all claws be trimmed before bringing your cat up to the ring to be judged.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 10 December, 2010
    Judges are used to handling scaredy kitties, when its their first show, and they take extra care with them. You just notify the ring clerk, when you take him up, and he notifies the judge, or you can tell the judge yourself, when you take him up. Judges are very nice, they don't bite, mol, and they will take extra care with him. Mine all started, as 4 month old kittens. Bump was a scardy boy his first couple of shows, by his 3rd show, it was like he had been doing it all his life, and he just took off with it, loves it, the kittens took to it from day one, oh boy Disney Land, they just love it! :)) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 11 December, 2010
    Most of my cats have been to at least one show. I started with my Maine Coon Roxy and my DSH Church when they were kittens, they are the same age and they both did well and enjoyed it at first but then at their 3rd or 4th show they decided they didn't like it, started hissing and things so I stopped taking them. Then I took my younger kitties (the 4 littermates) , they took turns but all went at least once. Harley and Spot both enjoyed it but Spot did not get many finals probably because he is chubby, while Harley finaled in about 8 out of 10 rings at most shows. Blaze and Mr Grey were both a little shy/nervous. So my answer is yes I have shown my cats!
  • Jim MontanyaJim Montanya Oneonta, NYMember Posts: 2,278
    edited 11 December, 2010
    I would but we don't have anything like that around here.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 13 December, 2010
    Yep! :D I hope the new kitten has a good temperament so I can show him! Gimli is soooo laid back. I am proud to say that he had never bitten, hissed at or growled at any judge or anyone who has come to his cage to see him. But he is like a bump on a log and doesn't play with the judges. :-/ I was going to put him in the Waxahachie, TX show this past November but with Nigel's condition, I didn't. It is an expensive show to enter. I put him in the 2009 show and it cost me $90. I was happy because he did really well on his standards. He got 4 4th places. It was enough to get him his TGM title. He doesn't do well at the Fort Worth shows. Too much competition--usually about 28, 30 cats+. Last June there were 7 tabbies with white compared to the usual two or three. The Forth Worth Feline Fanciers has a show again next June. The kitten will be about 8 months then, so he will be shown as an adult. The kittens in the kitten division are sooooooo cute!
  • Nila AtkinsNila Atkins Member Posts: 46
    edited 13 December, 2010
    You bet,Muse is pretty enough for a cat show, but I dont think that he would tolerate Noise and lots of people. He is not real keen on strange people and runs and hides if he is not happy with a situation.
  • Kristi BarfieldKristi Barfield CharlotteMember Posts: 75
    edited 22 December, 2010
    Hmm. I didn\'t know there was such a thing as HHP! I\'d consider showing Lynch. His only problem would be that he has no eyes! I\'m not sure how they would take to that. (Haha!) But since he is blind, being picked up disorients him and he will usually squirm until he gets put down unless he is held tight and close, where he feels secure. Other than that, he is very laid-back and would probably have a great temperament for showing! He is very curious of noises and new people, (he will run to investigate a new voice) and so far he is not afraid at all of car rides or being in a carrier. He also gets comments on how handsome he is, and everyone who pets him is amazed at how silky-soft his fur is. So, if it wasn\'t for the blind part, yeah I would consider showing. :D