Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Tippin water dish

Tiffany AldingerTiffany Aldinger Member Posts: 620
edited 31 December, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Hi everyone! I am desperate for some help! Monida has discovered a great new game called "tip the water dish." She sits and will pull up on the dish until all the water spills out. Every morning I awake to thud, splash, thud splash. I tried getting a differently shaped bowl, but she sat and stared until she figured out how to tip that one too. I am at my wits end. I can't leave her without any water, and I can't keep having a soaking wet carpet. Any advice?

Comments

• edited 28 December, 2010
    We use a heavy ceramic water dish with our cat. Its rather heavy, I'm not sure he'd be able to knock it over if he tried. Instead of knocking his over he plays the game of sticking his paw in, realizing that he hates water, and flings it all over the wall and floor. :))
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 28 December, 2010
    I heard that there are some bowls with an actual weight on the underside so its almost impossible to tip over. However whoever fills the water bowl will have to develope some crazy muscles! Hunter doesn't tip over the water bowl. Instead he plays with his water, put a paw in, shake it everywhere. He will even go to the sink with the water on, go under the faucet and get soaked. He will shaked like a dog and have water everywhere!! The sink, mirror, counter, and wall. Such a mess! Only I would get the crazy water cat! :))
  • Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
    edited 28 December, 2010
    I have simular problems with Socko, but nowhere near this bad. You should get magnets or something to stick to the bottom the bowl. I don't have much of an answer but I can tell you one thing, you need to shop in a particular area like PetSmart or PetCo and look around to see if there are any non-tipable bowls.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 28 December, 2010
    The kittens used to do that in their bench cage, tip the water bowl over, then their blankets were all wet, so got them a water bowl, at Petsmart, that kinda splays out, per say, at the bottom, they can't tip it over, the bottom is wider than the top. Was trying to find you a picture of it, mol, but found these other bowls that might work, they sit in a container, per say, and they are elevated, doesn't look like they can tip them over. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.drsfostersmith.com/cat-supplies/cat-feeders-and-waterers/ps/c/3261/1910?count=26&s=ts
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 28 December, 2010
    I used to do the same thing. It got so bad mom started putting my water dish in the bathtub. But then she bought this: http://www.neaterfeeder.com/, and there is absolutely no way I can tip the water at all! It really works, no fun for me but mom says it's worth the money! :))!
  • KIM JOHNSONKIM JOHNSON NUTLEYMember Posts: 387
    edited 28 December, 2010
    I did that too! I used to make such a mess on the floor that mommy bought me a huge gallon dog water dish that has an upside down gallon jub and it spills slowly into the dish...it's very heavy & I couldn't knock it over anymore! :-h
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 29 December, 2010
    I did that too. We had one of those Water bottles that points downward into the dish and I would sit on the bottle to knock it over if it was full. if it was less than full I could body check it over. So getting the big doggy version of that for me was not a good idea. Instead we got an Animal Planet pet fountain from Bed bath and beyond and it was only 19.99 compared to the near $40 of the other pet fountains at other places. It does have to be plugged in but it holds a lot of water and I have not been able to knock it over once. Plus I LOVE drinking out of the bubbling fountain part! http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17244841
  • Tiffany AldingerTiffany Aldinger Member Posts: 620
    edited 29 December, 2010
    Thanks so much for the advice everyone! You're all so wonderful! ;c; I think I'll head to Petsmart tomorrow and see what I can come up with. You guys have given me some great tips!
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 29 December, 2010
    We use the Petmate fountain ! They are pawsome.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 29 December, 2010
    My Maine Coons splash water everywhere. It's a Maine Coon thing, so I can't train them out of it. What I've tried: LARGE, steel dog dishes, the type that flare out at the bottom and have a rubber ring around the bottom edge--they can't tip these over very easily; putting that dish in a much larger round tray (the kind of tray you might put cookies on to serve at a party) with edges that curve up--that catches a lot of the spilled water and also prevents the bowl from tipping over; and putting a LARGE plastic or rubber mat under the water and food bowls.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 30 December, 2010
    It's Fluff. We were the king and queen of throwing water dishes when we were young. We even disassembled the big water thing with the gallon jug and rolled the jug around the floor spilling water. Stella also used to take it apart and steal the filter out and hide it. We have gradually outgrown that, although we still throw food in the water bowl. Our person noticed that they often use hanging water bottles in cages at the cat shows, and the cats will drink from those, if they are started as young kittens. It is not a natural behavior for cats to drink from something over their heads? She tried it on us, but we were easily able to pull the bottle out of the holder and roll that around, but maybe a better way to hold it on the wall? She previously had a cat who had a deformed tongue and who could not drink water from a bowl very well, and she tried this on that kitty, but she was too old to learn how to use it, apparently. That kitty also drank water off her paw, which got the water pan dirty, but she couldn't help it. Stella does that too, looks very cute but gets the water dirty very fast.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 31 December, 2010
    Hey Fluff! :-h The kittens want to know, can they join your team, mol, they too, would turn anything like that, into a toy, mol. :)) At home they have the larger bowls, that splay out, the bottom is wider than the top, so they can't tip them over, and Smokey dips her paw in the water too, and plays in it. :D Its mostly the Persians at the shows, that have the water bottles, altho others use them too, but it pretty much started with them. They have that huge mane, that they have to keep clean, and with their little smushed in faces, its hard for them to eat/drink. If ya ever noticed, alot of them have little bibs on, in between classes, and some use a large coffee filter, as a cone, to keep them clean. I know they were taught as kittens, but I don't know how they were taught, I never used them. I am thinking they may have started them with milkey, the kittens would have smelled that, and maybe started licking the bottle, don't really know, just guessing, but if you really want to know, you could contact any Persian breeder who shows, and I am sure they would be glad to tell you how to teach them. I don't really agree with using them, but its only at the shows, and its only to keep them clean. :D
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 31 December, 2010
    It's Fluff. We're not allowed to do anything fun any more. She took the water thing away and now we get a big metal dog dish, that she has to fill twice a day. We have been pulling down some of her stuffed animals and took an ornament off the Christmas wreath but that's as far as we have gotten lately. We are even pretty good with the Christmas trees. Boy are we getting old!! I can see if you are going to keep kittens in a cage for any length of time, attaching the water bottle to the outside for drinking is a great idea. Kittens always manage to spill food and water and get it onto themselves and their bedding. We sure did. We had to be put in the big dog cage at night because we were too bad and would not let our person sleep. [Stella was a bad kitten but she still got to sleep on the bed with her, because she was only one kitten and so cute.] Our late kitty friend, Peri, wasn't a Persian--she looked like a normal DSH--but she couldn't make her tongue into a cupping shape and lap, and she could not get enough water in her diet. She had kidney trouble all her life, although she did make it until 13. We can see how those poor Persians must have trouble. It's cruel for them to have changed the breed to the very smushed faces of today.
  • edited 31 December, 2010
    Rev. Teller Doorbolter here and I just loooove tippin da waterdishes! In fact I gotta tip the dish before I drink and it's much to my brother's dismay cuz I nearly tip it empty. Momma can't stand it either because us kitties of the house we only like to drink our water in the master bedroom so it's a huge fun mess! Glad we don't have the crazies..~a~