Pet Insurance

Sarah PattersonSarah Patterson HillsboroMember Posts: 7
edited 30 October, 2005 in Cat Health
Does anyone have pet insurance? If so, which company do you use? Do you feel it\'s worth it? Is there anything I should look out for when choosing a plan? I\'m seriously thinking about getting it. I\'ve had one incident with Isadora a few years ago that cost us $400. Now Spot is limping slightly and I\'m dreading another visit to the vet (we\'re waiting awhile to see if it goes away before we take her in). We\'re on a rather tight budget and Spot has been known to beat up the vet...she embarasses me everytime we go in there. I know that if we had pet insurance, the hit wouldn\'t be so bad to our wallet for future visits (I know it wouldn\'t cover this limping issue). Thoughts?

Comments

• Sarah ParkerSarah Parker New BedfordMember Posts: 17
    edited 27 February, 2006
    HI, some people use it where my mom works at the vets office. They mostly have VPI, but have noticed some people say that their jobs are now offering it. You have to pay the vet bill but then have them sign it and give you a copy of the receipt to turn in for reimbursement. Some people have said it really helps and some don't like it. I've heard its better to get right away with your kitten and it will cover more. let us know what you find out!
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have the Optimum Wellness Plan for kittens through Banfield. It's either $15 or $20 a month and it covers all physicals, most tests, shots, free office calls, spay/neuter, blood work, flea meds, warranties and a few other things. There may have been an enrollment fee. The adult plan covers other things and mom is enrolling Lucy soon. She wished she had had it a few years ago when ucy got realy sick with what turned out to be a UTI. If she had had insurance she woud've saved almost $1000.
  • Giniene RaymondGiniene Raymond FultonvilleMember Posts: 673
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We have the VPI and Mom says it is worth it but we had lots of vet visits because Daphne and I have the herpes virus and had lots of upper respiratories and eye infections. It is $22 a month per cat but if you are a first time signee, you get 2 months free if you pay up front.
  • Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have VPI. It's $22 a month for their basic plan AND the Vaccination and Routine Care Coverage Plan. My mom says that we were already reimbursed the entire cost for the year - so it's worth it. Especially if you get it when you're young and need so many vaccinations and visits. Plus, it's nice to know that if something occurs, you're covered. Even weird things like spider bites, burns, a broken foot - any weird accidents. Hopefully we won't "need" it - but it's good to have for such things.
  • Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have VPI. It's $22 a month for their basic plan AND the Vaccination and Routine Care Coverage Plan. My mom says that we were already reimbursed the entire cost for the year - so it's worth it. Especially if you get it when you're young and need so many vaccinations and visits. Plus, it's nice to know that if something occurs, you're covered. Even weird things like spider bites, burns, a broken foot - any weird accidents. Hopefully we won't "need" it - but it's good to have for such things.
  • Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We had pet insurance and loved it. We got it through my Mums work -we got a big discount through the company -it was United Pet Care but I believe it's only here in Phoenix. It got kinda expensive (6 dogs and 7 cats) so we switched to our vets plan -we pay $85 a year and that covers all pets in the household and gives us a discount on everything. I wouldn't recommend Banfield though as it doesn't cover optional things such as most meds! We have saved a lot of money through the years with it.
  • Nancy RNancy R Member Posts: 63
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Does anyone know anything about Petshealth plan? Everyone seems to have VPI, are they really better or just more well known?