Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

USA: Bring All Commercial Dog Breeders Under Federal Oversight!

Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
edited 19 January, 2011 in Laws & Legislation
ASPCA site has a bill they're trying to get signed. Please sign the petition for this! It's so we can get rid of puppy mills and better keep track of dog breeders properly. https://secure2.convio.net/aspca/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2727

Comments

• Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 23 June, 2010
    What the Original Poster is asking.. Is that you can use the ASCPA's form letter (found at their posted link) to ask your federal legislators to support and cosponsor the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act USA: Bring All Commercial Dog Breeders Under Federal Oversight! S. 3424/H.R. 5434—Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act Sponsors: Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and David Vitter (R-LA); Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA) ASPCA Position: Support Action Needed: Use the email below to ask your federal legislators to support and cosponsor the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety Act! In May, Senators Durbin and Vitter and Rep. Farr introduced the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act to bring all commercial dog breeders in the United States under federal oversight. Currently, only breeders who sell their dogs to brokers or pet stores are required to be licensed and inspected by the USDA. If passed, the PUPS Act would require any breeder who sells or offers to sell more than 50 dogs annually directly to the public—including over the Internet—to also be licensed and inspected. The bill would also require all dog breeders licensed under the federal Animal Welfare Act to exercise every dog every day, including allowing the dogs to reach a running stride without the use of treadmills or similar devices. Requiring exercise could dramatically improve the lives of thousands of dogs suffering from lifetimes of confinement at the hands of the commercial breeding industry. The ASPCA was disturbed by the most recent report by the U.S. Office of Inspector General on the USDA’s lax enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act. We are working with federal officials to ensure that the current law, as well as any amendments, is enforced consistently and aggressively against violators. In the meantime, strengthening the current law is critical if better enforcement is to have a significant impact. Please email your senators and representative today and ask them to support and cosponsor the PUPS Act!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 27 November, 2010
    I can't believe that the U.S. doesn't already have a law like this. Japan does, and it's enforced.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 28 November, 2010
    Just wanted to chime in, this is a hot item over in Dogster. Yes, it would be wonderful for puppy mills to be eradicated, as well as backyard breeders. However, the way this bill is written it would also make it extremely hard for reputable, responsible breeders to continue as well.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 28 November, 2010
    Whatever inconvenience reputable breeders might have to endure is *nothing* compared to the suffering in puppy mills! Any law that protects the innocent is worthy, and convenience be damned.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 28 November, 2010
    Hobert, I'm interested in knowing how this would affect responsible breeders. The CFA is always reporting on new restrictions on cat breeding in the U.S., and while Japan doesn't have many severe restrictions as yet (just reasonable ones that make it hard for puppy/kitten mills and backyard breeders to survive), it is becoming harder to import cats from the U.S., which is draining the feline gene pool in Japan. And Mordred, truly Draconian measures against breeding can backfire. First, it is possible for cat breeds to go extinct (as Maine Coons and Turkish Angoras almost did in the past). Second, people will always want purebreds, whether dogs or cats, and I have a feeling that making it hard for legitimate breeders to breed will create an even worse scenario, of sleazy outlawed breeders breeding (probably inbreeding) animals and selling them on the black market. Certainly there is a way to do away with puppy/kitten mills and backyard breeders and yet allow hobby breeders continue to do their thing. I see that the number "50" is mentioned--I can't imagine any hobby breeder breeding that many cats per year (I don't know about the size of dog litters). Two or three litters of 3-6 kittens each per year is more like it.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 19 January, 2011
    Whoa forgot about this topic. I'll see if I can dig up the debate in Dogster for you. As I remember though, it was really a double edged sword.