Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Food for Constipation/IBD

Vivian HenshawVivian Henshaw Member Posts: 89
edited 3 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Just had our first experience being constipated and having to shell out $1500 at the ER Vet. Ozzie finally pooped today with the help of miralax. I\'m assuming going forward, he\'s gonna need a diet change. I was transitioning him to Blue Basic from Blue Longevity this month for his puking (I guess the constipation was causing it though) I have a feeling the vet is going to want to put him on Hills I/D. I read the ingredients, and it looks like garbage. Is there anything comprable? High quality like Blue?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 2 February, 2011
    Ozzie, are those dry foods? I saw that Bumpurr asked in the other thread what you were eating and you didn't answer. If there's any way you can get him on wet food it would make a huge difference. In which case I would recommend the Natural Balance limited ingredient foods rather than the Hills prescription. I've had two cats (one allergies, one allergies and IBD) that did well on the NB cans.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 2 February, 2011
    Ozzie were you just diagnosed with IBD? Is that what the vet said is going on? Either way, if you look at my commercial foods page on my website, www.ibdkitties.net there are a bunch of much better, grain free foods you can give him. The prescription diets may be a very last resort if nothing else works but like BK said, Natural Balance is a really good one. It has to be the Limited Ingredient Diet though but all the ones I list are grain free. People usually print out the pages and take it with them so they know which flavors are okay to use. Merrick Before Grain is another good one. If he does have IBD or even just his GI issues, maybe you can do some reading about it on my website. That's what I had and that's what the site is all about, treating it and helping with diets, medications and stuff. =;
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 2 February, 2011
    I had severe constipation issues, and what sticks out most in Meowma's mind the most is that they finally became manageable (but not eliminated) when some wonderful kitty here mentioned the following, which sounds wrong, but it's not. Do NOT give any extra fiber. This means NO pumpkin, NO metamucil, and NO hairball/indoor formula foods. Apparently many kitties with constipation issues just get plugged up even worse with all that fiber. NEVER free feed. Period. If you have to feed dry, (I do not eat any canned ,period, except for a bite here and there to remind Rory that I'm the boss) make sure the protein content is over 40% and the first ingredient listed is neat, not by product or meat meal. I'm not going to get into the grainfree argument. Feeding a controlled amount will help prevent obesity and thus most of the illnesses that many blame strictly on grain being in the food. Try to feed around the same time every day, twice, and three times is better. Obviously, keep water fresh and handy. Make sure and brush your kitty as vigorously as he will let you, daily. The nerves in the gut can be stimulated by brushing along the sides of the spine as well as on the area lower down and behind the rib cage. Massaging the belly can help too, if he likes it.
  • Vivian HenshawVivian Henshaw Member Posts: 89
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Hi All.. Thanks for the responses. Ozzie has been eating dry Blue Longevity.. I just started to tranisition to Blue Basics because of the vomiting, which now may be caused my his constipation after all. I also feed him wet soulistic grain free... he's not a big wet food fan, but I am going to start feeding him wet 2x a day and cutting wayyy back on the dry. I'm wondering if the Blue Basics is ok for him to have a little of. I heard of this wet food- Anyone else tried it? http://www.weruva.com/
    edited 3 February, 2011
    we don't have a diagnosis yet either, but I think it is only going to be beneficial to start increasing his wet food.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Hi Ozzie, just checking to see if your vet diagnosed you with IBD for sure. Wet food is always better no matter what so that's a good call. My Finney and Lacey eat Weruva too and it's a really great food! =;
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Weruva is good and I believe is very similar in texture to the Soulistic, so he should like it. Keep us posted on his progress, ok?
    edited 3 February, 2011
    If you could get him onto all wet food that would be best;for some reason I thought you had trouble getting him to eat it. The extra water in canned will help all your systems stay healthy. Actually, some of the Fancy Feast and Purina Pro varieties are fine also if money or availability is an issue at any time.If you just won't eat any of the 'premium' kinds, get the cheaper ones at least for now. Read those labels. My prior advice was for constipation; if you turn out to have other issues then some other cats no doubt know more than I do. As for the vomiting, there's no doubt being so badly stopped up will cause it, so hopefully that symptom may correct itself as you get things moving along better.
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Ozzie may also have feline asthma as the xrays showed that. :( Poor buddy has been having sneezing fits since last night, hope he didn't get a bug from the hospital. Going to have a urinalysis done even though his bloodwork came back perfect. Just trying to figure out what caused the constipation in the first place.
    edited 3 February, 2011
    Sometimes, no test will answer the question. As I mentioned, if he somehow ate more fiber than his systems likes, he could get constipated. Or he could have been slightly dehydrated. He could have chewed up an item like paper, wood, or whatever, that didn't totally block him but really slowed things down. He could just be naturally prone to constipation. So, it's obviously good to try to figure it out, but there isn't always a definite answer. Hopefully this incident will be a one time thing.