Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Is it OK to feed skinny senior cat kitten food?

Pam WilliamsPam Williams Member Posts: 1
edited 7 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
My almost 19 year old cat gets thinner each month. She is under care of vet for thyroid, IBD, renal failure. She holds her own except for weight. Just occurred to me that kitten food has more calories/fat than adult cat food. I'll ask the vet when I see her March 7 but wondered if anybody knew about this. Thanks.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 6 February, 2011
    I don't know the anser, but Alex would. Here is her site, and hopefully she sees this post. Best of luck. :-h http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.html
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 6 February, 2011
    I'm going to say no because kitten foods are also higher in protein, which could put a lot more stress on her renal and IBD issues. Renal failure kitties naturally lose weight, just goes with the territory.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 7 February, 2011
    Thanks Smokey! I appreciate it. The thing is that at that age and with his IBD and renal issues it's not the protein that's the problem is the quality of the protein and the amount of ph in the food. Are you feeding dry or wet? It should be a canned, wet food and a little water added to each meal to ensure moisture. If you can ditch the dry, that's ideal. Secondly with any cat it should be grain free and a good quality protein but ESPECIALLY with an IBD kitty. What brand of food is he currently eating? I also would suggest a few things to your vet. Number one you should discuss giving him B12 injections if he's not getting them. Because of his age and conditions he may have some malabsorption going on. B12 gets depleted in all of us as we get older and cats are becoming more and more deficient of it these days with all of these carbohydrates they're being fed. It's causing their organs to work too hard and nutrients and vitamins don't get absorbed properly. B12 helps that a great, great deal. Also, is he getting sub q fluids regular for his renal issues? He needs to have his kidneys flushed regularly and he most likely gets dehydrated very easily. Supplementing those fluids does wonders for his appetite, his appearance, etc. Let us know about his diet and these other questions and we can try to figure out more of how to help okay? I'm sure there are some things that haven't been tried that will help. =;