Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Problem with Purina Kitten Chow? Really Dark.. Cats wont eat??

Lily DeLaurieLily DeLaurie Member Posts: 184
edited 9 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Anyone else notice anything? I bought Purina Kitten Chow from Petsmart on Saturday... I noticed yesterday someone threw up on the floor it smelled like kitten chow and next to it was a HUGE pile of water... I didn't think too much of it they were going WILD that day and I thought maybe someone got too excited. I noticed when filling up their bowl with the new bag of Kitten Chow THAT the kitten chow wasdarker... hear I am thinking maybe it was fresher? I feed them fancy feast twice a day, but when i went to put their Fancy feast down tonight i noticed they had eaten NONE of the kitten chow. I even tested them with a smaller bag I bought (normal color) and they ate it right away. What is that? My cats are NOT sick or anything.. but has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 8 February, 2011
    Don't know but I wouldn't feed anything with grains at all. I'd switch them to a high protein, grain free, low carb diet. Grains are pure carbs and just cause a lot of very serious issues like diabetes, IBD, etc. Can you get them anything else like Merrick, Weruva, Nature's Variety, Evo. There's a lot to choose from and they're much more digestable! :D
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 8 February, 2011
    What kind/flavor fancy feast do you feed? I had an issue with FF twice, the last time, 2 sick kitties, 2 days apart, I no longer feed FF. Mine get Blue Wilderness dry, its by Blue Buffalo, you can get it at Petsmart or Petco. Its grain free, soy free, by product free and low in salt. Now they get BW wet too, no more FF. :D What you want to avoid, is the grains, corn, maize, wheat, corn flour, maize flour, wheat flour, corn gluten, wheat glutens. These cause a plethera of health issues, some of which are crystals and tummy issues. Since I switched to BW, no more crystals, no more tummy issues. :D Here are some sites to help you. :D http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.html http://bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/wilderness-cat.shtml
  • Lily DeLaurieLily DeLaurie Member Posts: 184
    edited 8 February, 2011
    I really only stick to the Chicken FF and Beef FF, i've read those are better. They will get a fish FF if i'm mixing in LLysine because they don't taste the LLysine. I'd love to switch over their food, I've read the links and i guess i'm a little slower and just dont understand. Ill put it this way, I eat Junk food all the time.. I'm 125lbs so I handle it well I guess. When it comes to food I know nothing about what is Healthy for my kitties. I read that I need to put them on a grain free diet... so I begin switching them over to Wellness Kitten food, I read online about it, it sounded good. THEN I read a post about issues with cats developing urinary blockage. So after a week when they were half old half new I just took them off the Wellness. Every food I've looked up online has so many recalls or problems. I understand the Purina isnt good, and nether is the fancy feast. I just feel stuck. I want to put them on the best food out there I just don't know what it is. I'm very frustrated with all of this...? The vets are no help, I don't ever think I would put my cats on Iams so I'm stuck. For the moment they have not been sick from the fancy feast so I will stick with that.. but I'm a little worried about April when I have to switch them to an adult food DRY food (their muchie snack while I’m at work)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 8 February, 2011
    I feed Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo, its grain free, soy free, by product free,, and low in salt. You can get it at Petsmart or Petco, mine get dry and wet. :D No more tummy issues, no more crystals, and altho BW cust serv is very less than helpful, the food is great. Mine are bright, alert, very active and their fur is soft and shiney. Never had a bit of prob with it and they never had any recalls. :D Read the links I put in my post above, and here is another link for future reference. :D http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/default.htm Here is a link for Blue Wilderness. :D http://bluebuffalo.com/products/cats/wilderness-cat.shtml
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 9 February, 2011
    We get Blue Wilderness Dry food for dinner and for breakfast a variety of wet grain free foods: By nature, wellness (turkey and the chicken and herring one are the only two we like). Occasionally we also get some Blue Wilderness wet food as well. I am very picky so for the turkey wellness and one of the By nature flavors I have to have Fancy feast's chicken appitizer (its just chicken and water) mixed in or I wont touch it, MOL. Ive tried lots of other grain free foods and these are the ones I like, so for now these are what we will eat. Alex's mom's site ibdkitties.net has a whole list of grain free foods and the flavors that are grain free, so anyone on any budget can find the good stuff.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Hunter doesn't eat Purina. For dry he will occasionally get Orijen. Its grain free, about 80% protien I think, and good for all life stages. Meaning you can feed it to your kitten. Hunter loves it! Actually though he would rather eat his wet food. Orijen: http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/catkitten.aspx For wet food, Hunter gets grain free foods, which is his main staple. He'll eat: Weruva, Addiction, Natures Variety, Merrick BG and entrees, and some Fancy Feast. Still in the process of adding more foods to the list. Read catinfo.org and then take a look at Alex's website. www.ibdkitties.net and check out the food list. Good Luck!