soft bones/skin in canned salmon

Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
edited 9 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
I rarely feed my kitties any people food, but Tigger & Smithwick sniff around like bloodhounds when I open a can of tuna or salmon. I only give em a TEEENY bite or two of the fish, but I wondered if it was safe to give them some of the skin or soft spine bones from the can of salmon? The bones are so soft that you can squish them in your fingers, and of course it would only be one or two, but I was curious on this.

Comments

• Mary WaltersMary Walters Milton KeynesMember Posts: 6,959
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Patch loves the bones and skin of tinned salmon, they don't care for fresh though as I found at lunchtime lol.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 9 February, 2011
    The worst thing about the canned fish as a treat (never use it as a meal) is the sodium. But the bones and skin are as good as any ofit. Heck, Meowma eats them and doesn't die! :)) Keep all canned fish reserved for an occasional treat due to the salt content and possible contamination (which is actually a much larger problem in tuna than salmon anyway)