My cats will only eat Gummi bears...

Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
edited 10 February, 2011 in Who's Feeling Silly
My cats refuse to eat anything but Gummi bears. Since cats are carnivores, I figure that getting protein from bear meat should be okay, but I'm wondering if Gummi bears include organ meats, which are also essential for kitty health. Also, they prefer the red ones, and often refuse to eat the other colors. Do you have any idea why this might be?

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 4 February, 2011
    Also, do you think that feeding them Gummi worms, frogs, snakes, sharks, penguins, hippos, lobsters, octopuses, and spiders might provide a good variety to their diet? Recently, perhaps because they are eating German candies, I've noticed that their meows have changed. Their accent is no longer the non-rhotic Downeast accent common to Maine Coons; rather, they now say "miau" in German. Since I do not speak German, this occasionally results in communication difficulties. Has anyone else noticed this phenonemon?
    edited 4 February, 2011
    Since some of my cats follow Halal dietary laws, I must feed them Gummi bears made of bovine rather than porcine gelatin. These can be hard to find sometimes in Japan.
  • edited 5 February, 2011
    If American moggies ate gummis they'd slowly mutate. There is no known animal associated with Red Dye 426. The resulting dialect may frighten. Meowtronglargggh
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 6 February, 2011
    do not let them eat pineapple Gummi bears...or any of the translucent ones, whatever flavor they are. they might ingest the liver, and the liver of the Polar bear is toxic to all creatures...except, of course, other Polar bears...or maybe arctic snow leopards? Not sure. Fatal overdose of Vitamin A. absolutely horrific way to go. the Esquimaux used to have a little fun with the intrepid explorers who got that far by offering them the polar bear liver as their due as the guests of honor, so they could become one with the Spirit of the Great White Bear...and if they died, tell them their spirits were not strong enough. Most of them died...wusses...
  • Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
    edited 6 February, 2011
    I'm confused. Unless Harvey absolutely despises his cat food, I don't know why he'd be *only* eating something with absolutely no nutritional value; it just makes no since to me. If your cat will eat absolutely nothing but this, I think that taking Harvey to a vet would be the wisest idea.
    edited 6 February, 2011
    bless you, socko...but perhaps if you took a quick peek at the name of this forum it would clear things up for you? :D
    edited 6 February, 2011
    @Socko-and don\'t eat the translucent Gummi bears...::o
    edited 6 February, 2011
    He's right. Your skin will fall off...:-O your fur too, of course...:-$don't tell PETA! they'll kill all the Gummi bears to keep us from eating the translucent ones, and i for one think we kitties are intelligent enough to make informed choices!
  • edited 6 February, 2011
    We think if you ate the orange Gummies you'd become Socko.
    edited 7 February, 2011
    wow...then no socks would be safe.:-O
    edited 7 February, 2011
    what if you fed the orange Gummi bears to the translucent Gummi bears?:-k would they be safe to eat or deadly Socko\'s?
    edited 7 February, 2011
    Sock it to 'em, Socko. Psst...this is the Silly Forum, and we're being silly. I'm not quite sure you processsed that. Lighten up. Have fun. Eat Gummi bears! (Just not the translucent ones.) Everyone--you too can develop a non-rhotic accent and sound like a Kennedy! All you have to do is eat Gummi bears!
  • edited 7 February, 2011
    :-h harvey. yummy gummi bears. makes momma go out and get some right now. :D what wrong with eat the translucent ones though Harvey?:-k
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 7 February, 2011
    Because you can't see the liver, it's transparant. Too many bear livers are very bad for kitties. By the way, I got my coloring by eating a bunch of yellow Gummi bears one day. On the second day I had a bunch of red and orange ones, and rolled around till the stripes came. BooBoo prefers black jelly 'bird eggs", known as jelly beans when it isn't Easter. It's almost time to get her year's supply, because eggs are much better for kitties than beans.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 8 February, 2011
    Oh, by the way, the above is supposed to be MY post, I am the stripey one; BooBoo has had too many jellyeggs today and is senile to boot, and was sitting in my spot.
    edited 8 February, 2011
    thanks for clearing that up, Rory...that was a touch surreal. i followed the same program as you, but as i matured my coat became more agouti than striped...it might be because i developed more of a taste for the Red Gummi bears as i passed my first birthday. P&T, those Masters of the Multiverse, mention the possibility of an unfortunate accent developing due to the dye...:r...well, when i am excited i am informed by reliable sources that i sound rather like a duck, or a wild goose, possibly one who carries Yersiniosis (it would explain rather a lot).
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 8 February, 2011
    Since we are being silly, my favorite candy is Almond Joy, the coconut and chocolate is such a delightful combo. Sometimes I share with my mom. I dont like the chewy-ness of the gummy candy, I might pull a fang out. MOL
    edited 8 February, 2011
    Alexis--refer to Wesley's post as to why the translucent Gummi bears are dangerous. Socko--well, I did take Harvey to the vet to ask about the Gummi bear fixation, but my vet used to be a Gummi bear addict (he's been to Gummi bear detox several times, and is now clean and sober), but he just shook his head and could only mumble, "One day at a time, one day at a time..." Meanwhile, since the livers of the translucent Gummis are potentially harmful--indeed, because any bear liver may be suspect--should I try other Gummis, such as the worms, frogs, snakes, sharks, penguins, hippos, lobsters, octopuses, and spiders, in order to provide the essential nutrients contained in organ meat? :-k
    edited 8 February, 2011
    they say mousies are the perfect food-are there Gummi mousies?
    edited 9 February, 2011
    If not, they should make them! Let's start a petition! (Except that I am legally forbidden to sign petitions...) %:D%
    edited 10 February, 2011
    Of course, when your cats are Gummi addicts, they must brush and floss after every meal. Fortunately, they all have opposable thumbs, are very intelligent, and like having pearly whites, so I don't have to nag them about their oral hygiene. :D
    edited 10 February, 2011
    One problem, though. I've got one red tabby and white (Harvey) and three red tabbies (Harvard, Quincy, and Lamont). For some reason, they like the green Gummis. You know how they say redheads look good in green...anyway, their tabby markings are beginning to take on a distinct greenish tinge, and I'm wondering if it might have something to to do with the Gummi bears (either that, or some kind of mold?). I hate to cut down on their eating something they love so much... :-k
    edited 10 February, 2011
    possible solution? Haribo makes Gummi animals that come in multiple flavors...crocodiles, for example. I KNOW they have a green and red crocodile. maybe they have other green and red animals, or maybe crocodiles would suit your kitties? what do other catsters think about the nutritional merits of Gummi crocodiles vs. Gummi bears?:-k
    edited 10 February, 2011
    it would circumvent the whole translucent bear liver issue...:-k
    edited 10 February, 2011
    But are crocodiles part of a cat's natural diet? :-k And why don't the make Gummi ELKS???