Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

hydration

Racheal FeuersteinRacheal Feuerstein caledonia, michiganMember Posts: 115
edited 13 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
i'm having a hard time making sure moisture is getting into mr. einstein. after his bladder problems in august, we switched him to just grain free can food. he has gradually decided to boycott it and he slowly began to eat less and less. in an effort to change it up, i changed flavors in addition to everything i could think of to get him eating his canned food. nope, he still would only eat a little of it and walk away. i have started giving him his grain free dry food back, but trying the whole feed him watered down baby turkey or chicken food. he does the same thing. he only eats/drinks a little then walks away. what are some other ways to make sure he stays flushed out? it's not an issue with his appetite, he eats the dry food with no problem! thanks!

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Grain free is important but not as important has him eating enough calories and getting enough moisture. If it comes down to it, I'd rather see him get more canned food with grains in it and if you have to do some grain free dry, that's okay. Just try to work in more canned. Don't know how you feel about that. I'm sure you know how anti-grain I am. But I am PRO kitty health more than I am anti-grain and never like to see a kitty not eating. It's dangerous. So that's my opinion on that. His bladder needs wha wha, MOL. :D
  • Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Hey! Best of luck! Alex makes some good points indeed. Sounds like you already have a good solid handle on what Einstein needs. But the real question, hydration! Obviously keep fresh water available, which it sounds like you do, and yeah, some cats are just not big water drinkers. I'm lucky that ol' Matty likes to drink water after she has treats, but many cats (as you know well) do not. I would say cautious experimentation with some high quality wet foods could be the way to go, especially if your guy is otherwise healthy & doing well. I dunno if cats get "bored" with foods, but it couldn't hurt to try an array of different premium-brand wet foods to experiment & see if there are any that Einstein takes to. Most premium catfood makers have some type of guarantee, and many petstores are cool with returns (even wet food) if your cat isn't happy with a new food. Best of luck, keep us informed! -Matty & A
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Well, I am in the same boat with Bump, he won't eat no wet, he is the president of the club, mol. But he loves his turkey/chicken baby food mixed with water. So, I don't know what I would do, if he didn't like his baby food. Sorry, I don't have an anser for this one, hopefull someone else does. Best of luck. :-h :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 9 February, 2011
    I've had fosters that will boycott canned because they know there's kibble in the house. It puts you between a rock and a hard place because you don't want to let them go too long without eating. I agree with Alex here - try ANY canned you can to get him to eat. Will he eat table food? You could add a little chicken to a can to tempt him. Or you could try some other "enticements". Some cats love a little Parmesan cheese sprinkled on their food, or a product called Kitty Caviar which is bonita (fish) flakes. Hope this helps!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 9 February, 2011
    Or you could try flavoring the water with just a bit of whatever food your cat likes--tuna water (not oil), a bit of chicken broth (no salt)...Kitty fountains are often said to entice cats to drink more water, but their filters need to be changed regularly and they tend to fall apart, and I don't bother with them. One idea I had when I took one of my cats out of town for a cat show in the middle of the very hot Japanese summer was making him drink water out of a baby bottle. Actually, it was a kitten milk bottle, but much smaller than the ones you usually see in pet stores--about the size of a baby bottle for a doll. It had a small nipple and was made of plastic, so I could insert the nipple in the corner of the cat's mouth and squeeze the water from the bottle in small amounts, which the cat drank. This is more of an emergency measure than anything else, but if your cat seems on the verge of dehydration, it might be worth a try. The bottles I used were disposable, which meant that hygiene was no problem.
  • Racheal FeuersteinRacheal Feuerstein caledonia, michiganMember Posts: 115
    edited 10 February, 2011
    thanks guys. i bought a couple new kinds of canned food. we're going to sacrifice the grain free stuff a bit to see if that makes a difference. the big problem is that he'll usually eat about a third to half and then get up and walk away. sometimes we can coax him to eat a little more, but it's like he's full or something. he's ridiculous.
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 February, 2011
    Hazel doesn't drink much water anymore, have to give her sub-q fluids with B vitamins every 3 days. When she didn't have enough water in her system, the Creatinine level (kidney) was high. Water in food may not be enough. Sending purrs.
    edited 12 February, 2011
    he'll eat several different kinds, but the biggest problem is that he eats only a bit, and then walks away. the only way to get him to eat it is to follow him around and continue putting the plate in front of him. eventually, he gives up on it entirely, and then i'll put the plate in the microwave to keep it away from lexi. he'll eat it like an hour later. i just don't have the time for this, especially in the mornings. i wish he'd just eat it all in one sitting like lexi.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 13 February, 2011
    Do you have a water fountain? When I was diagnosed with early-stage CRF, my Mom got some water fountains and I found I really liked drinking the water from those much more than I liked drinking from a regular water bowl.
    edited 13 February, 2011
    yup. we've had the fountain we have now for about two months and i see einstein drink out of it occasionally. we actually had a small breakthrough last night. it could have been two things. i tried a new can food and i tried not adding any water to the canned food. the stinker actually dug in! so, i'm not sure whether he's just really into the new food or he's not digging the added water. i guess we still have some more experimenting...