feral cat wants to eat 3 - 4 times a day?!

edited 15 February, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
Lately Miss Edith, my little feral diva has been asking to eat 3 sometimes 4 times a day. She will eat those cans of Fancy Feast and snarf them down in seconds. I realize they aren't that big but she is an adult cat I'd say about 1.5 years (that's adult for a moggie right?) and she can't weigh more than 9 lbs. She also goes outside and charms food out of the neighbors and I have no idea what else she hunts! She's an excellent hunter. Is this normal for a feral cat? Should I be worried about something like a tapeworm? She does get Revolution. This seems like so much to feed an adult cat yes?

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 February, 2011
    Personally I'd say she's still growing at that age and those cans are not high protein. Maybe right now because it's winter, she's not getting enough prey. I'd give her the extra if she wants it right now and see how she does in the spring. :?
  • edited 14 February, 2011
    I don't like feeding her that stuff. She'll start eating the raw soon it should improve then? She sure likes that gravy. :-/
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 February, 2011
    You bet your bippy she likes that gravy. Cause it's full of crap! Potato chips for cats is all it is. Yes, I'd say feeding raw will make a huge difference. Probably not immediately, maybe a week or two because all that other food needs to be eliminated from the system.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 15 February, 2011
    Sometimes with ferals food is more a psychological thing than a physical hunger. If she went without food while she was outdoors, she may just want to eat as much as is available now. Aren't you worried that by letting her out she may bring something into the house that the kittens will catch? Sorry - NOT trying to be accusatory - just curious. Are they indoor/outdoor too?
  • edited 15 February, 2011
    She's protected in the same way they are, Revolution monthly and vet visits yearly/whatever she needs. I'm still not clear on what she can bring back to them. No one has told me, not even the vet. She's up to date on all vaccinations, spayed, negative for all those feline diseases etc. The boys are indoor only
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 15 February, 2011
    There are a lot of things she could catch by going outside and are not prevented by Revolution or vaccination: FIV, FelV, FIP, Toxoplasmosis, tapeworms, coccidia, giardia, ringworm, etc... There are vaccinations or FelV and FIP but these are generally not given unless asked for and these vaccinations are not always effective, so even if your cat is vaccinated they could still get these (especially FIP, the vaccination is often not effective.)