Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Two Kitties with Two Problems

Krista DahnKrista Dahn HastingsMember Posts: 5
edited 14 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
So my Mommy is in a quandry. I have a sensitive urinary system where I get UTIs very easily. My brother has a sensitive intestinal tract and gets diarrhea on regular food. We were eating Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul, I was doing well but Baby Kat got really bad stools. First Mommy tried getting Natural Balance Venison/Green Pea, but that gave my a UTI almost instantly but it cleared up Baby Kats diarrhea. So Mommy put us back on the Chicken Soup but then Baby Kat didn't do well. So she switched him to California Natural Herring and Salmon but that gave him a UTI. So we are looking for a holistic food that won't give either of us UTI's and will be easy on the Baby Kat's tummy. Thanks for help you can give, my Mommy will be happy once she can feed us all the same thing.

Comments

• Courtney DeemsCourtney Deems ParkersburgMember Posts: 177
    edited 6 January, 2007
    I have a couple of questions for you. Have you seen a vet? If not, then you definitely need to start there. Food is not necessarily the culprit for urinary tract infections, or diarrhea for that matter. Additionally, your vet may recommend a food that s/he feels would be good for both cats and there is also a possibility that both cats will have special dietary needs and thus need different food. Are you feeding wet or dry food? If you are feeding dry, or a combination of both, you may want to consider eliminating the dry food from their diet. An all canned diet is becoming the preference of most veterinarians (and nutritional experts) for all cats, but in the case of cats who are prone to urinary tract infections, an all canned diet is preferred due to the moisture content. And, I also wanted to ask if you are gradually introducing the new food or making a sudden change? If it\'s sudden, that may account for Baby Kat\'s diarrhea. Although I can\'t say for sure what a sudden change would have on Dill, I do know that stress can be a factor in recurrent UTIs, so a gradual change would be best for him as well. Keep me posted. ~Booger~
  • Krista DahnKrista Dahn HastingsMember Posts: 5
    edited 9 January, 2007
    Thanks for the repsonse, my Mom is a vet tech and we've both been in and out of the vet for these things. The problem is both the vets Mom works with aren't versed in holistic/more natural foods, which is what she prefers to feed. Baby Kat and I are on Science Diet S/D right now until his bladder infection gets better so she's looking into the food to switch us to once he's better.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 10 January, 2007
    You are in a difficult situation. Sorry I can't be of any help. I'm sure some other smart kitties will be able to offer you guidance.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 January, 2007
    Sometimes cats get diarrhea when their diet is changed abruptly. How long did your mom keep you on each food before she switched you? If you stayed on the diet that Baby Kat did well on, your diarrhea might clear up on its own after you had time to adjust to the new diet. Good luck, Dill!
  • Courtney DeemsCourtney Deems ParkersburgMember Posts: 177
    edited 10 January, 2007
    Wouldn\'t it be nice if all veterinarians were experts about food? I really wish I had better advice or could tell you exactly what food will work perfectly for both cats, but I can\'t. It sounds like trial and error - and a lot of patience - will eventually get you to where you need to be. Hang in there. ~Booger~
  • Sarah HarndenSarah Harnden SalemMember Posts: 194
    edited 11 January, 2007
    HAve you had a C&S ran on your kitties urine???, and how about biopsies taken from the one who has diarrhea often?? how old are these cats??, you may want to start them on i/d just to give G.I tract a rest---i'm sure a urinalysis was performed and what was found???, has he been put on meds?? if so for the full length of time?? and was a urinalysis performed shortly after finishing the a/b's..i would do further diagnostics..also may want to change the type of litter--the clay may be irritating..GOOD LUCK
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 11 January, 2007
    Hi Dill, Well if Doc Hunter doesn\'t have answers we sure don\'t. What we do know is that I have 2 siblings plus I have IBD which means I have tummy problems and I have to be on a special diet (Duck and pea)plus take meds. It would seem to us that you guys probably should be on different diets. One kit can is fed in a separate room, that would be me. Purrs and good luck Wally:-k
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 14 January, 2007
    Mom does a lot of reading about foods (for us and for the dogface), and did notice that a lot more people "in the know" are now suggesting that a 100% wet food diet is the most appropriate for cats. Much of what has been said about the dental benefits of hard food is overrated for us cats, as we tend to simply crack, rather than chew hard food. Adding extra water into wet food (we like it "souped up" to a pudding-like consistency) might help with urinary tract issues, as Mom has read a lot about adequate water intake being important for UT health. Mom also said it's somewhat easier to feed us seperately when it comes to wet food (if you need to feed each different foods), because we inhale that pretty quickly, instead of grazing on it like we do with dry food. Beyond that...good luck! It's a difficult situation with such different and specific problems. Beyond that, with those special needs, I just