Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Brushing Kitty\\\'s Teeth

Christina FarmerChristina Farmer VictoriaMember Posts: 227
edited 15 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy decided to start brushing my teeth. She read that to keep your indoor kitties as healthy as possible, brushing kitties teeth should be part of that routine. Mommy would like suggestions, feedback, and pointers on what the best way is to brush my teeth (I\'m a very mellow kitty). She bought Sherley\'s Toothpaste (meat-flavoured) from Petco (the only one she could find) and wants to know if that toothpaste is the best to use for kitties.

Comments

• Christina FarmerChristina Farmer VictoriaMember Posts: 227
    edited 12 January, 2007
    :r...oops...I think this belongs in the "Grooming" Category. Oh well. Maybe Catster will catch this one and move me there....:r
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 13 January, 2007
    I have my teeth brushed with CET poultry flavored toothpaste. Only vets sell this toothpaste. Any toothpaste brand is good as long as you like the flavor. My Human uses a small cat toothbrush. I like my toothpaste so my Human has no problem brushing my teeth. You can use gauze or a finger brush instead of a regular toothbrush.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 13 January, 2007
    I have never heard of the toothpaste you are using, but if it's specifically for animals, then you should be fine. Mom is really familiar with the CET that Merlin suggested. Many cats don't like an actual toothbrush in their mouthes, but a finrbrush or a piece of gauze works just fine. The more frequently you can do it the better (once daily) but even if you can only manage once a week, you are better off then not getting it done at all. Cornell has some great videos on cat health. Here is the video on brushing the teeth. Hopefully it helps. http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/brushing_teeth/index.shtml
  • Noelle PotterNoelle Potter SeattleMember Posts: 8
    edited 13 January, 2007
    I use a cat toothbrush and toothpase also from Petco. The cat hates it but he's gotten used to it after multiple brushings. I've tried the fingerbrush and it just didn't work out. My other cat bit through the fingerbrush and my nail into my finger. Not good times. So you might be safer with the toothbrush.
    edited 13 January, 2007
    Thanks for the link Hunter. Mommy watched the whole movie. 4 WEEK TRIAL!?!? that\'s a loooooonnnnng time. I don\'t even like the toothpaste. Oh well. Whatever works right? (sorry, Mommy is an impatient person). Tomorrow is bath-time and mommy is gonna see how it goes.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 14 January, 2007
    Try different flavors and brands of toothpaste until you find one that you like. The CET Poultry flavored toothpaste is very, very tasty. There is also a seafood flavored one.
    edited 14 January, 2007
    Well, Mommy brushed my teeth for the first time today. It went OK, but mommy said she couldn't wait 4 weeks because when she took a good look at my teeth, there was HUGE plaque buildup, and she was afraid for my teeth. I didn't like it very much, but I was co-operative. I guess that's why so many people refer to me as a "Momma's Boy"
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 14 January, 2007
    Now this I know about!|$| Last May I went in for a annual checkup, and the lady with the white coat and the frizzhead and the voice like Mickey Mouse (the vet) said that I had a lot of plaque, and that I should come in for a cleaning. I wound up having 4 teeth pulled! :(( Now, Mommy has tried to brush my teeth before, it's not like she's lazy (but she is! :-$ ) but I would fight her tooth and nail if she tried to use a long-handled, or finger toothbrush. She went to Petsmart and found tooth wipes (by Petkin) and they're kinda like those human Brush Ups, except they aren't shaped like fingers. Although two weeks after starting to use them, I did get a virus, but not sure if it was from the wipes. I don't think so. You do need a lot of patience. Even the mellowest cat can put up a big fight, and it takes one step at a time. If you start with those wipes, and after a few weeks of daily or bi or tri weekly use, you can move up to those finger ones. Purrsonally, Mommy wants to stay with those wipes!:-k
  • Nancy BeimanNancy Beiman RochesterMember Posts: 22
    edited 15 January, 2007
    I hated the CET toothpaste but loved the "Logic" toothpaste that Mummy imported from England. She uses a wee cat toothbrush--the one that is about 1/2" long and 1/4" wide, NOT the round one intended for bigger-mouthed dogs! and it's almost a pleasant experience for both of us. We once tried a spray from Canada that tasted so bad I jumped nearly five feet in the air to get away from it--and frequently puked afterward--:-$ so the Logic gel toothpaste is a great improvement.