Swollen Joint

Michele RohyansMichele Rohyans Member Posts: 231
edited 8 March, 2011 in Senior Cats
OK, so here is my first "Senior" question, my left rear ankle joint feels swollen. It is not causing me to limp and is not sensitive to the touch, however, it does feel a bit like mommy's knees when she has been hiking. In the case of mommy's knees fluid builds up from over use and an old injury, yet it is not serious. Does this sound like arthritis? :?

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 5 March, 2011
    I don't know the anser, but, if you was a horsie, and had this, we would hose it down with cold water, put linement on it, call the vet, and get an x-ray done. If it is arthritis, we would give MSM. If it is an injury, depending on the injury, you would be put on stall rest, or in most cases, you would be turned out every day, and your owner would be told, to keep you moving, as, standing around, would just cause it to swell up again. :D But, since you ain't a horsie, mol, I found this for you. :D http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2175 Arthritis Joint and Bone
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 5 March, 2011
    It does sound like arthritis to me sweetie. You can have something like sardine oil or salmon oil to help with that. It has plenty of omega oils (unsaturated fatty acids) and that should help. Also glucosamine condroitin. I'm sure your mommy knows something about that if she has some arthritis. I'd give you some links but I know you're in Mexico. Are there any places there to get this kind of stuff? :)
  • Michele RohyansMichele Rohyans Member Posts: 231
    edited 5 March, 2011
    Hi Bumpurr! Thanks for the response and the link, we'll check it out. By the way, we LOVE the "Baddy Boy and Baddy Girl" report you started :h: too funny! 'Glad I not a horsie, sounds like they got it rough.
    edited 5 March, 2011
    Hi Alex! Actually, I take fish oil now (helps to get my Gabapentin down) so it is good to know that will help, also, finding things like supplements for dogs here is not a problem (Mexico is one dog friendly country!), so, we are going to ask the nice man at the Mascota (it's like a convenience store for pets where they also groom doggies... no really :D he's the man who told mommy how to get to my vet) he might know where we can find glucosomene, and if not we know a pet supplier who will ship it to a mail room in Miami who will ship it to a mail room here (we just think the duty will be high). BUT I'M WORTH IT ;c;
    edited 5 March, 2011
    You are ABSOLUTELY worth it. =;
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 6 March, 2011
    Well, My arthritis hurts, especially in some types of weather. But that could be it. You might want to ask the vet. We take cosaquin here-I get it in a pill, my brother and sisnter in their food.
    edited 6 March, 2011
    Hi Bella! I am sorry to hear your arthritis hurts, but you make me and mommy think, maybe the reason it doesn't hurt me is because I am already on a medication for pain. Mommy is going to have tea with my female vet this week and will ask her about it; in the mean time I am eating salmon oil with my food.
    edited 6 March, 2011
    That's most likely what it is. My mommy used to take gabapentin for her migraines and fibromyalgia and it did help ALOT! =;
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 6 March, 2011
    You might want to add some glucosamine. I'm arthritic and we use Catswell Happy Hips, they are actually chicken strips that you give for glucosamine. I've only been on them a week but they are helping already. Also I take Zeel (it's a homeopathic remedy) I get 1 tablet 2x a day, and I act like a kitten when I get it. It makes me feel so much better.
    edited 6 March, 2011
    Hi DeeJay! Thank you for the tip, I am glad you found something you can take, if you are like me, I hate pills and only get my gabapentin down because it is such a fine powder that I can't pick it out of my food. :))
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 7 March, 2011
    There are a lot of places that sell powdered glucosamine supplements in powdered for, which might be easier to get into you.
    edited 7 March, 2011
    Hi BooBoo! My cousin Fluffy takes the powder form of glucosemine and it does do wonders for him. Thank you for the suggestion ;c;
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 March, 2011
    :-h Have you tried these before Link to cat treats that have glucosamine and chondroitin in them Balty loved them and they worked really well for him. There\'s a looooooong story why we can\'t get them (a legal thing to do with getting them into the country).:( If we could we would. A lovely cat (Niggie) sent us some in a Christmas parcel and they got through, Balty thrived on them so we ordered more on line. Only to have them stopped at customs and told they are not approved and we will be fined if we try sneaking them into the country. They did say if we obtained ALL the ingredients, submit them, and the product for testing. We can get it approved but it\'ll take about 10 months and cost about $5,000 dollars. Hummmmmmmm does Balty have that long?