NCR (Not Cat Related) Help Stop Abuse on Dairy Farms, do not buy milk

Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
edited 16 July, 2013 in Plus Friendly
Gee, are you surprised at who wrote this. :-h Warning, this is not for the faint of heart. ::o Dairy Farm Abuse View Mercy for Animals undercover video on Willet Dairy, a dairy farm in central NY. In case the link doesn't work, the site is www.mercyforanimals.org/dairy This information was in the April 1 2011 article in Local News in the Syracuse Post Standard paper. We all know how Bump is, he ain't buyin, no more milkey, which he ain't supposed to have anyhow.

Comments

• edited 1 April, 2011
    whoa. that is sick. mom could only get through half the video. good thing mom has lactose intorlance. she cant drink milk so she dosent buy it. poor cows.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 1 April, 2011
    The very sad thing is, they are getting around this, by saying, this is standard dairy farm practice. So OK, continue to treat the cows that way, but just exactly, who, is going to buy your milkey??? You now have one less customer, and guess who is going to tell everybody and their brother, as well as all the peoples who read that article, and watched the video. You, are in Bump's radar now, huge huge mistake. :n:
  • Charlene DitnerCharlene Ditner FormosaMember Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited 2 April, 2011
    This is sad. :(( My mommy was raised on a Dairy farm here in Canada but NEVER were the cows treated badly. People are supposed to follow the rules when it comes to treating animals humanely, and not get away with it if they do! Or they just shouldn\'t be working with animals period! :(( This makes me and mommy very angry.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 2 April, 2011
    And also don't buy any butter, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream, ice cream, or any products containing any of the above. Go vegan.
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 2 April, 2011
    I'm not going to even look at the video, I can't stand to watch animals being harmed for no reason, but I won't stop buying what little dairy I do buy. Unfortunately, just as there are people who abuse human children and bad pet owners, there are also bad farm managers that allow animal abuse. I don't think it's the rule on most farms, or even in most slaugterhouses and feedlots. Overstressed animals don't eat, so good management means keeping livestock happy. I do note that the video is of a specific, named dairy; surely the proper authorities have seen it. If not, why is it online but not in local law enforcers hands? I don't see the logic in boycotting all dairy due to something going on at one farm. I don't care for factory farming practices as a rule, even when there's no abuse going on, and I don't buy much farmed meat at all. I prefer to (animal rights activists hide your eyes) go fishing and even try to kill a deer every year to keep meat in the freezer. I do buy chicken and pork on rare occasions. But I can't keep a milk cow in my yard and spend my days at the butter churn and cheese press. Harvey, when you go vegan, please go out and hand plant, pick, and tend all your plants, even the grain. Otherwise, think of all the cutup snakes, bunny nests, mice and so forth when you mow the grain field, and all the moles ans such you might kill when you till for a veggie garden.
  • edited 2 April, 2011
    mother isnt boycotting dairy, she just cant eat it. moms not going vegan either. she will still eat butter.
    edited 3 April, 2011
    Don't forget that chicken farms and egg farms are pretty dismal too. Patricia Highsmith has a wonderful, gory story about how the chickens on a battery chicken farm rebel and peck the chicken farmer to death.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 3 April, 2011
    No milk???? :-O :-O :-O Nope, Mom cannot do that; she *must* have milk - absolutely. Her doctor once put her on a milk-restricted diet where she could have only a little bit every day for six weeks. At the end of six weeks, she was so irritable, she was yelling at us and even picking fights with truckers on the CB! I speak the truth. She usually drinks 2 gallons or more of milk a week, so her body is used to a certain amount of trypto-something that's a natural sedative. Without that - watch out! She even once drove 10 miles in a snowstorm because she was afraid she'd be snowed in and was running low on milk. She simply MUST have milk!! Not all animals on all farms are inhumanely treated - and dairy is necessary in human diets. What is needed is legislation to ensure humane treatment of nonhumans.
    edited 3 April, 2011
    Exactly. The only reason I'm not vegan is that I close my eyes to the realities of the meat, dairy, and egg-farming businesses. Oh, and the way fish are treated isn't so nice either. I am now leery of fur trim on gloves, etc., and have discovered the joy of vinyl shoes and handbags. But if you want to go even further, you have to consider the way humans treat other humans--and that is too much for my tiny brain to process.
  • edited 3 April, 2011
    morderd- dairy isnt nessary in a humans diet. mom dosent eat it or drink it. shes healthy with out it.
    edited 4 April, 2011
    I don't doubt that your mom is healthy, Nellie, but dairy *is* listed as a basic food group for humans. And I related what happened to my mom when her milk was restricted. She has *always* been a big milk drinker and simply *cannot* go without it. She doesn't drink coffee (hates the stuff); her only other beverage is iced tea. Like coffee, that has no nutritional value, whereas milk does. Calcium is important, especially at Mom's age, as well as vitamin D. Besides, there's that element that's a natural sedative - keeps Mom from popping off! :))! And pizza without cheese? No melted cheese over fresh sliced tomatoes? No butter or sour cream on baked or mashed potatoes? (Mom bought two gallons of milk on Thursday, there being only about a quart in the house at that time. This morning for breakfast, she finished off the gallon she bought on Thursday. To ask her to have no milk at all - you might as well ask her not to have cats at all! :))! Each of us acts according to our needs, wants, and beliefs; the sin is not in eating meat or dairy - the sin is in the inhumane treatment of the sources. Mom doesn't think it's cruel to eat eggs; she does think the way the eggs are obtains is cruel, so she buys cage-free eggs that she found inexpensively at Walmart.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 4 April, 2011
    I seen your title, not going to look at the video, read the posts - never going to attempt to look at the video, I will be scarred for life.. aint gonna go there I can only imagine whats in this.. Poor cows.
  • edited 4 April, 2011
    mordered- mom dosent think its wrong to drink dairy. tell moms body stop being lactose intorlance. she would drink it. mom thought it was really funny the cats arent lactose intorlance but mom is. she does cheat sometimes.
    edited 4 April, 2011
    I don't really like milk, never have, even when I was a child and was forced to drink a glass per meal. But I do love dairy products in general, and believe that eggs are a gift from God, no matter what they may say about cholesterol. The "eggs from happy chickens" "free range chickens" and other humane farming processes have yet to be introduced to Japan on a large scale. I was joking about going vegan--I love my veggies and could become a vegetarian if I could eat dairy and eggs, but vegan is too complicated. Ironically, Japan is perhaps the most difficult place on earth to be a vegetarian--forget about eating out. LOL, BooBoo. Next I'm going to have to wear one of those white surgical masks that the Japanese wear to ward off colds and pollen, so that I don't inhale any buggies, and sweep the ground in front of me as I walk, so I don't step on anything. Life is so complicated...
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 4 April, 2011
    Ah...you are going to be a Jain. I wonder if they follow my 'pick even your grain by hand' rule? Seriously, though, even the 'free range' chickens are not necessarily running around happily; ***********************************************************************The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification. There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means. The USDA has no specific definition for "free-range" beef, pork, and other non-poultry products. All USDA definitions of "free-range" refer specifically to poultry.[6] The area they have access to doesn't have to be very big, either. My man-friend's great uncle and aunt used to raise chickens for a big poultry company; honestly, when all the chickens were brought to the farm as babies, they would all be turned loose in the huge chicken houses, they sill all stayed in a tightly packed flock. Of course by the time they were ready for market, the house would not have more than about 20% open floor space--but it would STILL be all in one area! And while you couldn't see much out the screened windows high on the wall, they let in a good bit of light, even in winter when they had clear plastic covering them. So I don't feel nearly as bad for the meat chickens as I do the egg layers that don't get to walk around at all.
    edited 6 April, 2011
    You want *really* good eggs? Find someone who has a few chickens and lets them wander wherever they want, scratching in the dirt & eating what they find there - in addition to being fed chicken food, of course! Mom used to have some chickens, and they could wander around the horse pasture, picking in - uh - *everything* they found - and they laid the very best eggs! No pale yellow yolks - almost orange - and nice & firm, too. They were premium eggs. If you can find a roadside stand where someone sells eggs like that, you'll not be disappointed. |$|
    edited 7 April, 2011
    Everyone in Tokyo has a balcony, not for sitting around and looking at the view, but for hanging laundry. I think some people keep chickens on their balconies--they sell chicken feed in the store, and sometimes you can hear a rooster crowing. Hmm...