Oooo that smell!

cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
edited 4 November, 2005 in Grooming
Mommy is trying to sell her house and a couple of the people who have looked have complained of "an odor." What do you use to keep the smell down? There are three kitties living at the house right now ... me, Sophie and a foster kitten. Mommy uses Fresh Step clay litter and cleans out our poo at least twice a day and changes the litter completely every 3-4 days. Any other suggestions??

Comments

• Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We use the arm and hammer -3 litter boxes, 7 cats and it gets scooped every 3-4 days and no smell. When you know someone is coming bake cookies, or simmer some cinnamon sticks on the stove. Makes it feel/smell like home. If it's cats peeing somewhere else there is nothing to mask the smell.
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mommy was planning on baking cookies tomorrow before the people come. She's also going to put our litter boxes in the garage while the people visit. That might help. The cinnamon thing is good too. Thanks!
  • Tabitha Smith-ElliottTabitha Smith-Elliott Gainesville/Hall County, GAMember Posts: 11,582
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hey girlie!! Wellllllll that\'s a good question. Not only does mom have all of us, but she is a realtor. Here may be some helpful hints. She told me to tell you that it the Arm n Hammer deod REALLY helps. She uses it daily in our boxes. Scoop them out at least twice daily, specially if you\'re home is being shown that day. When you dump the boxes, wash them out each time with dish soap and let them air dry for a bit. Also we have found Tidy Cats litter for multiple cats seems to work very well. After trial and error of trying to find what worked best for us. heh heh Plus, if you can, get a litterbox with a lid. This dramatically cuts down on smell and litter getting on the floor. I dont know how many boxes you have, but it may help to have 2 if you dont already. And like Fluffy said. Put out some scented candles or cinnamon sticks. Spray some air freshner just before you leave the house when it is to be shown. Oh, and we keep the window cracked a tiny bit (all the time) in the laundry room where our boxes are. But Fluffy is right. If one of you are urinating in the house, then that is a very hard smell to get rid of. You would need to get a product for eliminating pet odors. Speaking of which - before the house is shown sprinkle the carpet with the (I believe its Arm n Hammer) stuff made to take pet odors out of the carpet. It\'s a powder and smells nice. Just sprinkle it on and you can leave it for a while and let it freshen up the house. It\'s so funny, cause when people come over they comment that they would have never known mom had cats til they saw us!! We hope some of the suggestions help you too. Sorry it was so long!!
  • cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks so much Inky!! And thank your mom, too! My mom got some stuff that attaches to the air filters and it smells good. She also got some of that Arm & Hammer stuff today. She hadn't read your post yet, but she is happy to know that it works since she says she spent $4-5 on it! hehe She found out that the Realtor said the smell was only in one part of the house, so Mommy figures it was the laundry room. She didn't think the house smelled, but some people have very sensitive noses! She also put our boxes out in the garage while the house was being shown, and put me and the foster kitty in our carriers and put us out there. (It was a warm day, so it wasn't cold or hot in the garage.) She was only gone an hour. She even left the garage light on so we wouldn't be in the dark. Mommy doesn't understand why people get so bent out of shape over cats in the house. She keeps her house clean, and the litter box smell was not real strong. Oh well ... Thanks again for the advice Inky!
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I usually get stuff at PetSmart specifically made for pet odors.