K/D and others???

Patty StephensPatty Stephens BostonMember Posts: 197
edited 2 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Mom wants to know if there are any other low protein canned cat foods for us cats that have crf? I am now on K/D canned and dry but don't like the taste so mom mixes it with my other food that is higher in protein so Iwill eat it. Maybe if she could try some others I may like another one better and it will be better for me. Purrrrrss to everyone!!

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 1 January, 2007
    This canned food chart can help you find a low protein food: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 1 January, 2007
    It is not surprising that you do not like the k/d, most cats don't. It is a very bland food. We have found that many kitties prefer the taste of Eukanuba multi- stage renal. It is quite palatable and comes in both canned and dry. http://www.fabcats.org/crf.html Low protein diets tend to be less palatable for cats. For cats with chronic renal failure who find low protein diets unpalatable, it is better that they eat a normal diet rather than eat too little. Cats can sometimes be encouraged to eat a low protein diet by offering different varieties, feeding warmed food, and by mixing a low protein diet with their normal food for a period of time.
  • Patty StephensPatty Stephens BostonMember Posts: 197
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Merlin thank you so much this will be a great help! Purrrrrss to you.
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Hunter thank you also. Mom is mixing my food now with the bland one. Yucky but I will eat it.
  • Michelle DawsonMichelle Dawson BaltimoreMember Posts: 1,619
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Hunter, you are really helpful! Mom also mixes mine ... I get a high quality canned food from Whole Foods Market (but I know that these aren't everywhere).
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 1 January, 2007
    This is Delyte. We all love the Purina NF dry cat food for kidney-challenged kitties. It kept my companion, Peri, alive and healthy much longer than K/d did, which we all hated, too. I am supposed to be on it now, but Stella likes it so much that she gets most of it. It's probably not good for her as she is still growing and needs protein. But I don't think they make a canned variety, though. I've gotta get some more so I will check.
    edited 1 January, 2007
    Delyte, Thanks for mentioning the NF. Mom was drawing a blank. We recently started carrying that food in our hospital and the cats seem to like it.
    edited 2 January, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your help. Mom is trying to find out if she can get a few cans only of each to see if I like it. My vet only carries SD and IVD. Hope she finds some soon since I really don't like SD!
    edited 2 January, 2007
    IVD (Royal Canin) also carries some renal diets RENAL LP 21â„¢ RENAL LPâ„¢ MODIFIED FORMULA
  • Veronica NoechelVeronica Noechel RaleighMember Posts: 7
    edited 3 January, 2007
    The IVD diets and many of the Purina Vet diets seem to have better quality ingredients too. Check with your vet, of course, but my cats will eat a bowl of rocks (kidding! I'm not feeding them rocks! No angry emails please :)) if you sprinkle Chicken Dinner Party on it. It's pricey but you use a teensy bit so one container lasts forever. It's available from http://www.halopets.com/ For 25 cents you can order samples. :) They're a great company. I like their cat supplement too.
    edited 17 January, 2007
    Just wanted to give everyone a quick update. Mom got some Purina NF dry and I have been eating it. Mom is soooo excited every time I take a bite which makes me happy and her MEOW! Thank you everyone for all the help and mom says she's going to try some of the other items also just so I don't get bored with this one. Purrrssss to you all! Rcee
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 17 January, 2007
    That's funny. I didn't like the k/d either. Well, the canned food was okay for a while, when I was really sick with that stomach virus, then Mommy put me on the dry stuff, and I ate it for two days and gave it up. Yuck! Then she put me on n/f, and I devoured it. I was on it for a good five months. Now I am off of it and back on Iams again.
  • Heather ZimmerHeather Zimmer A warm lap in PhoenixMember Posts: 30
    edited 18 January, 2007
    I hade K/D and my brother Snow didn't much like a/d (although it saved his life.) I have cans and cans of various wet foods, and my appetite is so fickle! I liked the Eukanuba best, too.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 19 January, 2007
    This is Delyte. Purina does make an NF canned food--they now have it at my vet--so if you prefer wet or they think it would be better for you, you can have both. That would be a way for me to get the NF all to myself because Stella doesn't really like any canned food and doesn't usually steal mine. Glad you like it, Rcee!=;
  • Gina CochraneGina Cochrane MorrisvilleMember Posts: 153
    edited 19 January, 2007
    I agree- I like the Purina N/F dry formula a lot! Won't touch the canned, though. And Hunter is right; it's more important that you eat rather than eat too little of the "right" stuff. Good luck!