administering glucosamine

Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
edited 9 July, 2011 in Senior Cats
My vet recommended some glucosamine for my Louie, as he\'s less mobile with his \"skinny-butt-old-man-syndrome\" going on. The problem I\'m having is finding something he\'ll take. Tried the treats, paste, and powder sprinkled or mixed with food. He won\'t eat any of them. Yet seeing him struggling to jump up on his favorite spots breaks my heart, so I want to keep trying. Am I doomed to giving him a daily pill? Any other suggestions to help with old kitty mobility? :?

Comments

• Michele RohyansMichele Rohyans Member Posts: 231
    edited 14 June, 2011
    My cousin Fluffy eats the glucosamine that is for pets if it is sprinkled on the food and then squished down into it (wet food mostly, but he will eat it on boiled chicken). I have recently developed arthritis myself, and as for getting on my favorite spots, well, I refuse steps, BUT a really long and sturdy box it a HUGE help. Of course, I also have mommy's hands to gently help when even the box is to tough. Good luck my furend! |:| purrs and head bonks from me and mommy, and Bandit. ;c; and I am cheering you on! OH, fish oil is also good for arthritis... I am partial to Salmon Oil, but there are others....
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June, 2011
    I get a monthly injections of Pentarthron or Pentosan. That seems to get this old guy moving
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 15 June, 2011
    Was it Cosequin for Cats or Dasequin for Cats powder that you tried? Most cats don't mind that when mixed with their food -- mixed into the food like Chiquitita said, rather than sitting on top. If he still won't go for that, you might try Cosequin or Dasuquin mixed with a treat Louie loves too much to pass up. I didn't always eat all my food, so to make sure I got my Cosequin, it was stirred into a spoonful of chicken baby food (which I loved!) and given to me as a treat. I looked forward to it every day. I didn't like pet steps at first, but after a while I got used to them. I used them to get to one of my favorite spots, a tall table. To help me get on and off the bed and other places, we had footstool-type things. Target has some that are boxes covered with fabric, about 14-15" square. The top comes off so it can be used for storage, and your people could sit on them, too. They're often on sale for $20, I think. We had them beside the bed, beneath a couple of window perches and beside Mom's desk, to help me get up there. Sometimes I didn't need them as much to get UP as to get DOWN without it hurting. A heated bed or a pet heating pad under a blanket on Louie's favorite sleeping spot might also help. I see Louie's in Olde Furts, so here's a thread that might give you more ideas to make Louie comfortable: Comfortable Living for Olde Furts There is an Olde Furts thread about arthritis. Midway in this thread is also information about acupuncture: ARTHRITIS: What kind of joint is this? The Olde Furts thread about heated beds: Bed and Heated Beds for Olde Furts
  • Karina GressKarina Gress Member Posts: 402
    edited 15 June, 2011
    This glucosamine is a GNC brand Petsmart had on sale. Same active ingredient as the Cosequin, but half the price. Do you think I should try the Cosequin? I totally mix it into his food. This morning I tried an experiment. Howie is not a morning cat, so he waits until Louie eats. So I divided the can between the two bowls, then mixed the powder thoroughly into one. Even though I put the treated one in Louie\'s spot, he ate out of Howie\'s bowl, not even trying it. Can he smell it? Do they make a flavorless one? Howie didn\'t care, so he ate the treated one. He\'s getting older too, so that\'s fine. Louie has steps to get into bed and a chair to get into the window, but I may need a little something to help him onto my new couch which is higher. Do heated cat beds come cordless, like with a little battery pack? He has a glider he likes to sit in, so maybe one there would be nice. I can\'t give fish oil to Louie, as he has a salmon allergy and I have to be careful. Has anyone tried kitty massage?
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 15 June, 2011
    You could try different brands of treats maybe? I know there are several companies that make glucosamine in treats so maybe you can find one he likes.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 15 June, 2011
    Which treats did you try? My Mom sends care packages to an arthritic kitty named Bella and Bella's foster Mom says Bella loves the Happy Hips treats we send her. The ingredients are Chicken Breast, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 16 June, 2011
    Louie, like Scooter suggested try the Dasequin or Cosequin. They are more expensive but are flavoured so that they are tasty for cats. Mum tried a giant tub of glucosamine for horses which had the same ingredients but we hated it and when mum tried it herself it had a horrible sharp taste. Uggh.... Also I loved accupuncture and on my profile you can see me dozing during an accupuncture session and a close up of a needle in the "asprin point" for arthritis pain
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 June, 2011
    It\'s hard to say if Louie would accept the Cosequin any better than the GNC one, but if you can afford to try it, I think I would, as Minxy suggested. If he does accept the Cosequin, you might find a better price online than at PetSmart, if you order in larger quantities. We ordered it from Entirely Pets and were completely satisfied. I don\'t know of any heated beds that come with a battery pack - they plug into an outlet. There are discs you can heat in the microwave to put under a blanket, but I wouldn\'t go near the one Mom bought for me. I loved my electrically-heated beds and heating pads, though. Hope you find something that helps Louie. |:|
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 26 June, 2011
    Tigger takes the Cosequin for cats. Amazon has it for $16 for 60 caps I think. I sprinkle in about a tsp of his wet food, & stir it up and he snarfs it up. And this is a cat that can find a pill shard in anything. So you may try that. I give him the rest of his food when he eats that little bit. I found it works better in the morning cause he is really hungry then, and not so picky.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 5 July, 2011
    Since Meowma does Demos for Nutro at the pet stores, she knows that everything your Meowma buys can returned if it does not work out for you. So take it back and get the name brand and see how that does. Though it will take about a month of continuous use before you notice any changes. I would have to suggest the baby food and mix it also. Just make sure the food is body temperature. As us cats eat better when our wet/ pray food is body temp! Good luck and please keep us all updated as to what works best for you! (^^
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 7 July, 2011
    Drs Foster and Smith has chewable treats that contain glucosamine.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 9 July, 2011
    This is Delyte. Louie, do you like any kind of people food? Our person has had a lot of luck with hiding meds in cheese spread, or soft butter or melted ice cream. I had no luck with cosequin, as it irritated my intestinal lining and I stopped eating. It might have contributed to the non-cancerous tumor that grew in there and had to be removed. I've never tried glucosamine. I am very much the stiff and very skinny old man, but occasionally I get the mad sillies and run around the house and leap onto things, so it couldn't be too bad. Purrs! (^^