Natural Balance - or - Felidae?

Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
edited 23 January, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Help! Mom is contemplating switching the whole family to Natural Balance (dry) or Felidae (dry). We can't decide which would be better. This will be for my whole family, which now ranges in age from 3 months to about 2 years. (So much for being an only child). Does anyone have experience with these brands - or prefer one over the other? Does one TASTE better?! Is 20% crude fat too much fat for a dry food? P.S. This dry will be supplemented with our Wellness canned, so we don't need a new canned food. Thanks for any help! ~Chloe Jane

Comments

• Wendy Kate CasanoWendy Kate Casano Long IslandMember Posts: 249
    edited 17 January, 2007
    Hi~ Jasmine has tried both of these and Natural Balance is her favorite which she'll choose everytime if I place both brands out in side by side bowls. She had chronic gastrointestinal issues while on Felidae, and when I switched her to Natural Balance amazingly everything got better.
  • Megan ParnellMegan Parnell Member Posts: 261
    edited 17 January, 2007
    I'm an experienced finnicky feline. Mom tried all of these dry foods for me: California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato Natural Balance Ultra Innova (regular formula) Nature's Recipe Drs. Foster & Smith Felidae Wellness SuperMix5 (or whatever their regular adult cat food is) Of all of those, I would only eat three of them, and I only picked at the California Natural. I will actually, voluntarily eat both Natural Balance and Innova. So from a finnicky taste-tester's perspective, I would take Natural Balance over Felidae. Mom said that once you're in a very high class of foods (like Felidae and NB), then it's harder to compare. She says that each kitty or doggy responds differently to each food, so as long as you're looking at super-premiums, no one food is far superior to any other. Just depends on each kitty's tastes and how they do on that food. Good luck!
  • Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
    edited 18 January, 2007
    Thanks for the responses! Since we have so many kitties who will be eating the food, it will be hard to choose just one. As long as the ingredients are great - and nobody HATES it - or gets sick from it - then we should be ok. We might test them both. Pet's Promise dry is liked by all of us - but it gives us the runs. (We think it's too rich). And the ash content isn't low enough. A few of us like Wellness dry, but some of us hate it. Maybe we will just try a few brands mixed together so we can pick and choose what we like |^|
  • Jennifer O'NeilJennifer O'Neil JeffersonvilleMember Posts: 77
    edited 18 January, 2007
    We LOVE Natural Balance. It's yummy and supports us through all life stages.
  • Nancy BeimanNancy Beiman RochesterMember Posts: 22
    edited 19 January, 2007
    Gizmo has food allergies to chicken and dairy so some of those foods did not suit her. Felidae was the only brand she dumped on the floor in disgust. She eats Natural Balance tuna for the occasional treat and LOVES California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. I think the Natural Balance will be good for your family's varied ages. Gizmo's main food is Nature's Logic, which I think is the best, hands down. They make a chicken food in can and dry and also Rabbit (which Gizmo eats and thrives on.)
  • Toba HartmannToba Hartmann Long IslandMember Posts: 1,185
    edited 19 January, 2007
    Ducky and I eat Natural Balance, the venison and green pea (allergy) formula. We LOVE it! Gobble it right up. We eat the allergy formula because helps keep away chin acne and the itchies we used to get on our faces. Meowmy says Natural Balance is worth the extra cost because we do so well on it. And because we\'ll EAT it! MOL!
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 19 January, 2007
    Matilda and I both eat Natural Balance. Since switching from Iams a few months ago, we are both trimmer and our coats are very shiny. While we freely eat the dry food (premium), our mom has been giving us a small can of food each day. Natural Balance canned turkey and giblet gravy is amazing!!!!! I go nuts over it! And it actually smells good.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 19 January, 2007
    I recently bought Felidae for my girls but they really hate it, I don't knwo why, the ingredients are mostly meaty bits which they like, I think maybe the texture is wrong - it almost looks ground, it's not ground but it's soft and a bit crumbly - so I would go with the Natures one b/c I wasted $$ on Felidae and they don't like it.
  • Wendy Kate CasanoWendy Kate Casano Long IslandMember Posts: 249
    edited 20 January, 2007
    Speaking of the texture of Felidae~ I noticed that Jasmine had a hard time eating that kibble properly. While the kibble is small in size, they seem to crumble, and I would always find a big pile of crumbs and bits left in her bowl which would go to waste.
  • Amy CunninghamAmy Cunningham Bucks CountyMember Posts: 63
    edited 23 January, 2007
    Thanks for the responses kids! My mom bought Natural Balance dry and will stick to the Wellness canned. Unfortunately, I still need my prescription food to prevent crystals - but mom is going to let me try some NB mixed in. And she still tries to get me to eat Wellness canned, but I take two licks then I'm done (the other cats and kittens all love it though :-O. Anyway - I much prefer organic cucumbers, I could eat them everyday and be happy.