Which gender should we choose (for our new kitten), when we already have 2 male cats?

melissa bishopmelissa bishop Member Posts: 1
edited 30 July, 2011 in Choosing the Right Cat
we recently acquired some kittens (2 boys and a girl), and we are looking for a loving home for them. We are considering keeping one of them. I really wanted to keep the little female kitten at first, but we haven't bonded like one of the male kittens and I, have. My question is, should I adopt the male kitten, considering I already have 2 male cats? Will they be more accepting of a new male addition or a new female addition? One of my cats, Oscar, is definitely the alpha male and the oldest, and does not adjust all that well to new cats (but does, over time). The second cat, Nacho, is really laid back and usually submissive, overall, to Oscar.. I am not sure if throwing in a third male cat is the best thing to do, or if a female cat would get along better....does anyone know? thanks! :^:

Comments

• janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 29 June, 2011
    If you keep the female, she will end up being the boss, most likely! But ou can never tell with cats, as there is really no strict pack order as there is with dogs. I was the bottom of the totem pole until i came here, now I boss Rory around and half bossed BooBoo before she passed, and I'm by far the smallest. Now we are keeping my brother until his pawrent gets through some medical testing in another state, and even though he used to boss me, I scare him half to death now. (Meowma didn't know I was in there when she brought him into the bedroom this morning, she's working on getting us all happy.) Anyway, if they are young kittens, whichever you choose will integrate into your group much more easily than an adult would. To me, the kitten's purrsonality is much more important than gender. Meowma has had males and females, and both sexes come in every imaginable character. And after neutering, the difference is even less apparent. Of course, girl ANYTHINGs are smarter, and boys are goofier.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 28 June, 2011
    haaahahahah Pandora hit that one on the head in our furmily.. Im the girl, Im smart,lovable and of course im the princess,queen, and boss all rolled into one. My brother is goofy,& sweet but just as lovable. We could never choose which sex is better, they are both fun but in differnt ways.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 28 June, 2011
    I would say to pick the one you bonded with, although personally I would pick the female as I just prefer to have a mixed group. I had 4 males and 3 females here and I had no problems between them, but three of the males (and 1 female) were littermates, and Church and Roxy were about a year older than them and had grown up together. Rounding out the group is my senior cat Sneakers(female) but she's just generally grumpy and doesn't really like any of the other cats. Church and Roxy and living with my brother now though because Roxy is his cat (he was living here with her) and he asked to bring Church too when he moved out of state because Roxy was lonely and they were best friends.
  • Hannah EastmanHannah Eastman ChicagoMember Posts: 880
    edited 28 June, 2011
    nellie and alexis are both girl cats. and they both take turns bossing each other around. sometimes nellie will boss alexis and then sometimes alexis will boss nellie arounds. i dont think they do it to be mean.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 29 June, 2011
    Same here with my two (male and female) they take turns.. we always say.. Kisu is ruling the roost today... or Kujys got upper paw on this day.
  • Hannah EastmanHannah Eastman ChicagoMember Posts: 880
    edited 29 June, 2011
    my sis alexis is the one who does all the goofy stuff in our house and i am the affecionate one i always have to be around mom and be petted.
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 29 July, 2011
    I'd keep the bonded one. As long as he's presented to the male cats appropriately (slowly), they should be fine.
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 30 July, 2011
    I would keep the one you bonded with too. I have three male cats and one Female cat. I have found that the males are much more laid back and friendly then my female cat. I know all cats are differen't though. My male cats all get along great! I the one thing I will say is that my female cat is really cute with the Males. Cleaning them and cuddling with them. Good Luck!