I don't cover up my poo!

April SinclairApril Sinclair PhoenixvilleMember Posts: 6
edited 21 June, 2005 in Behavior & Training
When I go potty in the litterbox, I never cover up my waste. Mommy gets upset at me, but I try to cover it up (I just don't scratch at the litter, I scratch at the wall, the floor, the wooden stand, everything but the litter!) How can I learn to cover up my poo with the litter?

Comments

• Neil McHenryNeil McHenry LiverpoolMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meow Sirius .. doesn't your human know that you are marking your territory? They prolly think that you don't need to mark out in the home, but this is not true. Tell Mommy to put your litter in a different place for a few weeks, and that it might help.
  • Emily LeBoeufEmily LeBoeuf Member Posts: 56
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I also scratch at everything around my "waste". I'll sit in there and scratch and scratch and scratch! I love it! I do eventually get it covered though. I just really like to scratch. I've been know to just go in the litterbox to scratch and not even go potty.
  • Jacqueline HolladayJacqueline Holladay MuscatineMember Posts: 76
    edited 27 February, 2006
    You mean...you are supposed to cover it? Oh my. I'm dreadfully embarrassed.
  • Merry EastabrookMerry Eastabrook WilmerMember Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I\'m six years old and I\'ve never managed to cover my poo! I also scratch everything but the litter. I had a difficult first year as a stray, so I never learned the finer points of litter box use. My owners bought me a covered litter pan and that helps with the odour of uncovered \"stuff\" and gives me more surface to scratch on. My lovely (now deceased) friend Peaches would cover it for me because she was so disgusted with me.
  • Anne WhitehurstAnne Whitehurst LongmontMember Posts: 5,024
    edited 27 February, 2006
    What\'s the big deal? Now that my Mommie finally had the good sense to put my litter box in the bathroom, she flushes my poo down the commode, so it\'s not a problem. . .
  • Cyndi HorstmanshofCyndi Horstmanshof Spring HillMember Posts: 14,041 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Hi Lucie, Well lets see..Felica has never covered and scratches everything but the litter. Mylo does pretty well, and so does Gys. I was so big I missed the box completely! Mom read it's b/c the kitties don't like that particular litter, but after reading all of these posts, I wonder....
  • Jennifer NelsonJennifer Nelson St. CloudMember Posts: 18
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Both my brother and I were firmly against covering anything in the litter box. We liked to put on a good show for the humans and spent at least five minutes scratching at everything but the litter. The way we see it is, it\'s our poop and we\'ll do what we want with it. Our human learned to deal with it and the way she see\'s it...at least we\'re pooping in the litter box!
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    So true, Crunch! I never cover up my poop. Mom laughs because she can always tell when I'm in the litter box because she can hear me pawing and scratching at the wall, the litter bag, anything but the litter itself. Love Midnight Helen
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, I do not cover up my poop either. I will scratch the sides of my box and wipe my feet on the rug outside my litter box but I will not cover up my poop. I have trained my Human to cover it up for me, mol.
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    He he he....same here!!!! Sometimes Bobbie does it for me...!!!

Bruce The Boss

• cat shepherdcat shepherd KnoxvilleMember Posts: 6,314
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Bruce! You don't cover your poo?? You need me then! I will be glad to cover your poo and Bobbie's too! I keep a very clean litter box!
  • Anne WhitehurstAnne Whitehurst LongmontMember Posts: 5,024
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Telling tales out of school here--guffaw! Lucie does the \"scratch everything but the litter\" routine too! Mommie thinks it\'s really funny. But she\'s always so glad when Lucie actually does her business *inside* the box she doesn\'t care if it doesn\'t get covered!
  • alex & dyan moase & quinnalex & dyan moase & quinn clinton twpMember Posts: 12
    edited 27 February, 2006
    humom says i'm a little piggy cuz i just go and dont even pretend to scratch! I leave it where it lies! Let her cover it! She should be following me around cleaning up after me anyways! Humom got a little smarter a few months ago. She bought a litterbox that cleans up after me! Then the poo get shuttled away into a container and no one can smell it anymore. /rude humom!
  • tiggerwigginstiggerwiggins PlacervilleMember Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We never thought about this before; it\'s very interesting! We all cover our poops. BUT, my brother Bob does have an embarassing problem and I just love to tell on him, so I will! ;) The vet said that because he\'s a tail-less Manx, he lacks a certain butt muscle control that us tailed kitties have. Mom finds little \"presents\" here and there around the house, those last parts of the bowels movements that he can\'t move out on his own. Anyway, it\'s nothing new. When he was a kitten mommy had to use baby wipes on his bum! mol =^..^=
  • tiggerwigginstiggerwiggins PlacervilleMember Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Thanks a lot bigmouth! It's not my fault I have a lack of muscle control. Besides, meowmie understands and doesn't get mad at me.
  • Tracy HowellTracy Howell ScottsdaleMember Posts: 529
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't cover up my poo either. Why cover it up and make momma go looking for it? This way the box gets cleaned faster too.
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom doesn't care if I cover my poo or not, as long as it's in my litter box. 'Course she might feel different if it wasn't a litter box with a cover... !
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Meows, Sydney. Perhaps some Humans do not like the poop smell and would prefer us to cover up our poop and therefore the odor. My poop smells quite bad, perhaps because of the prescription food I have to eat for my diabetes. Before, I was eating Eukanuba and my poop did not smell very much. Methinks the prescription food is not as digestible as the Eukanuba because of the grains and by-products and other not so good things in it.
  • Heather HuntHeather Hunt Member Posts: 1
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I also do not cover either of my duties, but Archie tends to follow me into the bathroom and do it for me. He is willing to spend alot of time on it. I just figure that if I did it in the litterbox mommy will be proud.
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I don't cover my poo either. That's what little brothers are for! Macavity is litterbox OCD. No matter how well Capone covers his, Macavity comes in behind him and covers it more. I figure, if he's gonna do it for me, why bother? I'll rent him out as a poo cover-er for 5 treats!!! hehehehe
  • Jennifer McMillionJennifer McMillion BeckleyMember Posts: 230
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'd do it for free Keo! Its very important to keep the litterbox tidy. We need to set a good example for Capone -- he's still learning the ins and outs of catdom. I don't mind doing it for you though brother ... I'm more than happy to help you out :)
  • BruceTheBossBruceTheBoss Winslow, BuckinghamshireMember Posts: 37,079 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Whoooppps, i've been caught out by Daisy!!!!! Hope she doesn't go off me....he he he

Bruce The Boss

• KittymomKittymom MiltonMember Posts: 266 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I always cover my poo. Mom & Dad get the scented litter for me so I make sure I use it. Also, they are always going downstairs and checking my box to make sure it is clean. Since I\'m so big, Mom put away the box that came with me and bought me a big one. She told Dad it was really called an under the bed storage box, but it\'s plenty big enough for me. The other one was a large one but not quite large enough; I always felt I had to fold myself in half to use it. Since Mom & Dad make the effort to keep my box clean, I make the effort to keep my deposits covered up.
  • Jennifer EvesJennifer Eves Pearl River-New Orleans areaMember Posts: 46
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My little brother Dobie won't cover his either. He use to scratch the liners really bad so Mom had to stop using them. She has to scoop everyday because I won't use the box if I can't step around Dobie's mess. [Rolls eyes] what a goober. We now have two boxes so it's now so bad.