Nature's Variety & other canned questions...

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 20 October, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
So my sister has been trying to feed her kitties better diets. She found Innova EVO in the big cans for $1.80, Innova Adult in the big cans for about $1.66, and California Naturals for about the same price. They told her that the Nature's Variety Instinct Dog food cans are pretty much the EXACT same as the little cans in the cat formulations they just took the cats off the labels because owners wanted either 'cat or dog food'. Does anyone know if this is true? They were more expensive about $2.20-$3.30 (for the duck) but she has a cat who has food sensitivities. She is trying to go for the 'larger' cans as like me she's got a house full of cats. Also the Weruva had a new line BFF, but she said they all had a lot of fish in them, she's been 'taught' by me that cats shouldn't have fish more than about once a week for bladder health.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 17 October, 2011
    Wait, who told her they switched the labels? The company? Because that begs the question is there the proper amount of taurine in the food! :-k
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 17 October, 2011
    The clerk/lady at the store told her that.
    edited 17 October, 2011
    According to their website, BOTH the Cat Canned Lamb and the Dog Canned Lamb have 800mg/kg of Taurine in their foods. The Duck is the following as well Clicky: Nature's Variety Canned Dog Duck Food Canned Dog Food: Taurine: 1410 mg/kg Clicky: Nature's Variety Canned Cat Duck Food 5.5oz can of Cat Food: Taurine: 1410 mg/kg
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 18 October, 2011
    We just had the Nature's Variety Instinct Duck tonite. YUMMY!! We love their food. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have emailed the company before with questions and they answer back pretty quickly. (^^
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 18 October, 2011
    YES, the NV Instincts canned dog and cat foods are the same thing! I buy the large dog cans for my cats as it is more economical than buying the smaller cans. Purrs, Shade
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 18 October, 2011
    Thank you Shade. I was aware there was a certain food that did have the same amount of taurine in both, I'd thought it was Evo. Is that the case for that one also? This is good info to have. :D
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 18 October, 2011
    Hey Alex, its actually the Merricks BG canned that has same ingredients and Taurine. Same with Natures Variety.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 18 October, 2011
    Alex, I've never investigated the large EVO dog cans because Innova sells the same large size (13.3 oz) of EVO cat food whereas NV doesn't for Instinct. Purrs, Shade
    edited 18 October, 2011
    Woot Woot! That's great news, I will pass it on to her. That will make her excited. ;c; I'm glad she's finally going to feed a decent food.
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 20 October, 2011
    I had called Nature's Instinct a year ago to ask them if they planned on coming out with large cans of cat food, and they told me the dog food was the same thing. I specifically asked about the taurine and they said the formula for the dog and cat food was the same, and the dogs were actually getting more taurine. So it should be okay, but if you're not sure, you could always buy taurine capsules from a health food store and mix them in the food. I hope this helps!