driving from fla to nj with 3 cats

carol codercarol coder claytonMember Posts: 21
edited 2 February, 2007 in Cats & Travel
I need some advice from cat parents. I am planning on relocating back to NJ from Fla..what is the best way to take the cats, and would sedation be an option to make it an easier trip on them? also, planning to make 1 or 2 overnites at petfriendly hotels on the way. I was thinking of renting an SUV or van for the 3 carriers...help....... thanks mom to max, lacey and kassie

Comments

• carol codercarol coder claytonMember Posts: 21
    edited 25 January, 2007
    :^:test
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 25 January, 2007
    Twice I have been driven from Georgia to Oregon. Mom would drive for about 8 or 9 hours and then get a hotel. It was both me and my sister Furie. We were both pretty scared at first but after about the first hour we quieted down and settled in. I really wouldn\'t worry about getting a sedative for the kitties. They might be unhappy for the first bit but will calm down shortly. I will suggest getting carriers that are plenty big so you can move around. Mom also put a small pan with liter on the floor of the car but we always just waited until the hotel at night to go. Don\'t leave the kitties alone in the car for any amount of time. This means drive through lunches. And make sure the car isn\'t too hot. Sometimes the sun can really heat it up. Also, when you get to the hotels, before you are let out of your carriers, check for small hiding places and block them off. I found a space between the bed and the wall that was just my size and mom had a heck of a time coaxing me out. Good luck!!
  • carol codercarol coder claytonMember Posts: 21
    edited 25 January, 2007
    :^: I ALSO THINK MAYBE MOM OUGHT TO LOOK INTO ONE OF THOSE LARGE DOG CAGES...THEN MY 2 SISTERS COULD RIDE TOGETHER...MISERY LOVES COMPANY. I, MYSELF, LIKE TO BE ALONE SO I DONT WANT TO SHARE MY CARRIER. I AM ALOT OLDER THEN MY SISTERS SO MOM IS MORE WORRIED ABOUT ME. I AM 13....SO SHE WILL PROBABLY TALK TO THE VET TOO.. THANKS FOR REPLYING
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 27 January, 2007
    Even when cats like company, they may want to be left alone in such a confined space. I'd probably stick to several carriers. I would not sedate,unless they get really stressed out int the car. Make sure they all have collars with current phone numbers attached. We recently moved back to CA from WA ( a 20 hour drive) and I did great. We stopped overnight and I ate and used my litter box then. Mom was sure to put a do not disturb sign on the door of the room so no one accidentally came in to clean. When you make stops during your drive, you can offer water, but I would not leave it in the carrier (it may spill) and food is not necessary. Just wait until stopping for the night to offer food. You should do just fine.
  • Celeste EvansCeleste Evans HobartMember Posts: 181
    edited 29 January, 2007
    Hi Max My 2 'brothers' and I recently had to cross the country which took 6 days . We went in a motorhome with mum and dad, and boy it was an adventure. In our case we were out of our carriers most of the time because it was such a long trip. We 3 had quite different reactions , so I would say if you are normally ok to travel you will probably handle it fine, but if you are a nervous kitty you might not be so happy about the whole thing. Sedation wasn't really an option for us for such a long trip, and I would generally probably avoid. I know it's not recommended for air travel due to dehydration risk, and you can easily become dehydrated in a car too - in warm weather and/or due to the airconditioning. I would recommend not trying to drive too far each day, as we seemed to get tired out by that. You have to strike a balance between getting the trip over and not driving too long in one hit - just keep an eye on the kitties toward the end of the day and see how they're going and whether you need to stop. I did react by far the worst of us 3 kitties on the trip, but then I am a pretty nervous kitty in general. The others were pretty comfortable once they found spots they liked to sit in on the road, but I was quite scared and insisted on hiding under the blankets on the bed above the cabin. Mum and dad let me, cos it calmed me down, but they were worried about me getting too hot and dehydrated, and I did lose my appetite a couple times. The good thing about taking the motorhome was that we didnt' have to be put in our cages and moved every night and morning - we hate being put in our cages and it was one less bit of stress for us. However, of course you have to be very careful that you can make sure the cats cannot escape when humans are entering/leaving the vehicle! Mum was very worried before the trip about how we'd go, and she was pretty relieved in the end at how well we dealt with it. Now we are in a cool new home! Good luck with your trip!
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 February, 2007
    Meows Max, Renting an SUV is a good idea! Put the kittys in seperate kennel carriers, the bigger the better. You can buy water cups and hang them on the cage doors. The best thing to do is put ice in them, it stays cold longer. Super 8 I believe is Pet Friendly, and I think South of the Border is too. Bring an extra carrier with a litter box, and when you stop for a break take turns with putting them in. This may sound silly - but make sure the doors and windows are closed when you take them out for a break. Many cats escape at rest stops. Best of luck! It's a long ride, Mom's done it a few times to NY