What wet food can I feed my kitten that has diarrhea?

JANA BELCHERJANA BELCHER CORTEZMember Posts: 156
edited 31 October, 2011 in Food & Nutrition
I adopted 2 kittens about a month ago. One had diarrhea when I got them. It got better, but now it is out of control. The vet said to take him off wet food for a couple days. He won't hardly eat dry food. I have been taking a teaspoon of Fancy Feast gravy and mixing with dry kitten chow. He will eat a few bites. He acts like he is starving. Is there a wet food I can try? I read in the forums to try Science Diet. Any suggestions. I hate to take him to the vet for meds. His little bottom is sooooooo sore. I am tired of cleaning up poop on the floor when he doesn't make it to the pan in time. His sister is doing great. Mom is desparate! Jana

Comments

• victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
    edited 31 October, 2011
    I think you meant to post this in catster :)
  • JANA BELCHERJANA BELCHER CORTEZMember Posts: 156
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Where did I post it? It shows up on Catster for me?
  • Betty SproullBetty Sproull Member Posts: 1,401
    edited 31 October, 2011
    :-h Hi Mr.Tigger Your post showed up on dogster. I found this website and I hope it helps. Hope your kitten is better soon. http://www.keepingkittens.com/diarrhea-in-kittens.html
  • JANA BELCHERJANA BELCHER CORTEZMember Posts: 156
    edited 31 October, 2011
    How crazy is that. I logged into my Catster account. Thanks for the link!
  • Amelia kjfasldkjAmelia kjfasldkj Member Posts: 1,361
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Changing the diet to suddenly can cause digestive issues. What was the kitten eating before you adopted him? You should stick with one brand for a bit and if you change, do so gradually by mixing the old food with the new. Cat food is not my specialty being a dog person, but you want a meat based food. You should avoid artificial flavors/color, by products, corn, menadione (banned for human use). You don't want any un named animal ingredients with generic names like animal fat, or meat meal. Look for a cat food with a named meat source like chicken listed first in the ingredients. Avoid food with multiple grains. I think the Chicken Soup brands make good canned foods with reasonable prices. I fed the canned food to my dog.
  • Anna DuchAnna Duch Member Posts: 170
    edited 31 October, 2011
    I think there's been a blown fuse or something at Catster/Dogster headquarters -- the Catster food forum link is now going over to the Dogster forum! We see this as the Catster food forum, but it's really Dogster. Not cool!
  • Laurel KowalskiLaurel Kowalski Gateway to the WestMember Posts: 486
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Here a temp. solution until you can read and find a food from the www.ibdkitties.net list. Call or go online and get probiotics, something like Eagle Pack holistic solution. Your local holistic pet food store will have somethink like it & run over & get it now!!!! Then just sprinkle it over the food. Now Run, Run to get some!! Oop bad pun! And you can write to Alex's mom at ibdkitties!!!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Agree with the probiotics, you can also try adding about a teaspoon of pumpkin, not the pie filling kind though, to his food. The extra fiber will firm up his poopies. Zelda had constant diarrhea as a kitten, and was eventually diagnosed with IBD. We switched her to raw and it totally cleared up.
  • Trisha PoeTrisha Poe Member Posts: 1,169
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Hey there Catster, has the Vet done a fecal on your kittens yet?? Curious that there might be a parasite going on. If not, you can add some baby (human) rice cereal mixed with some warm water and the canned food. Try some canned foods that have some rice in it (not great to feed kittys foods with rice as they are truly carnivores) but the rice may help adding some fiber to their diet. If they will eat some canned whole pumpkin, not the canned pumpkin pie mix, you can try to mix a little with their wet food. My cat, Nyles, loves it, my other cat, Gator, won't touch it. Probiotics is definately the way to go but can take some time to get into their system. Best wishes finding what works.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 31 October, 2011
    First off, please make sure this poor baby stays hydrated as all of that liquid poo will dehydrate him quickly! Also you should take a fresh sample to your vet and have them check for gieardia. A lot of times it is not picked up and can be hard to diagnose. But in the mean time, you might want to get some yogurt because that has live Lactobacillus acidophilus that can also help.Here is one of MANY links I found ; http://www.cat-world.com.au/giardia-in-cats Meowma uses this for one of our dogs, http://www.probios.com/ If you look through some of my younger pictures, you will see me sitting on Meowma's comp. Monitor and there is a 5lb container above me. She used to get it from Petco. Best of luck and please keep us all updated as to what happens.
  • Nancy ParkerNancy Parker Member Posts: 3
    edited 31 October, 2011
    Diarrhea in cats are often caused by corn or wheat fillers in dry cat food. So feeding excess dry food may cause diarrhea to the cat. Then beside other potential medicines and other remedial things, switching to canned or raw food can make the diarrhea go away almost overnight. The site http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/feedcats.html has complete information about the best diet for cats.