Jack the Cat, lost by AA....found....and lost :(

Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
From Facebook's Jack The Cat is Lost in AA Baggage at JFK page... It is with tears that I must tell you that Jack has gone over the rainbow bridge. He was with Karen yesterday, and his condition was worsening. He was treated overnight, and she (and I) both had extensive conversations with the vets at Blue Pearl regarding his condition. Jack had extensive wounds on the back of his body, and the wounds were unable to heal because his skin had deteriorated due to the malnutrition that occurred while he was lost. Despite antibiotics, the infections were worsening, and his skin was continuing to deteriorate. He needed surgery to treat the wounds, but there was not enough available skin to close the wounds after the surgery. The vet compared his skin condition to having severe burns over 50-60% of his body. The vet was very clear that she had conferred with every possible doctor regarding options for Jack, but none of them left him with a substantial chance of survival and all of them involved him suffering. Jack had been through so much, and the last thing anyone wanted was for him to suffer more. Jack was bathed in love and crossed over just a few minutes ago. We thank everyone who has gone on this journey with us. We have been introduced to people we have come to not only respect, but love. We will continue our work on this page… and will also be starting a dedicated website in Jack’s honor. We want people to understand the risks that attend putting an animal in cargo, and we hope to spur change in the industry so that no one else ever has to go through this again. We honor Jack, we honor all the other animals who have been killed, injured, or lost while being transported through cargo procedures, and we honor all of you who have taken the time to share your kindness and love with us. Finally, we ask that if you are from the media and want to do a follow-up on this story, please contact Joanne Lynch with Blue Pearl at 815-549-7688. She will coordinate all your calls and help you get in touch with Karen. PLEASE do not call Karen or Mary Beth directly. Thanks to all of you for your love & kindness. We still have 2 cats to transport… and a message to send to all the airlines and the government that is time to make sure all of our pets are safe when they travel. I’ll be back on this page tomorrow… blessings to all!! RIP, Jack… we’ll all see you soon. :((

Comments

• Barbara FruinBarbara Fruin Member Posts: 614
    edited 6 November, 2011
    I am SO, SO sorry for your loss. We had really thought your miracle was coming...:((
  • Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,411
    edited 6 November, 2011
    I am so heartbroken by this news! We have been following this story from the beginning and mom had been praying every day for him to be found. She would visualize him being found safe and getting back to him mom. We were so happy when we heard the good news that he was finally found. Mom couldn't believe what she read today. Thought it was a mistake. His condition had just been upgraded not that long ago although still critical. What a heartbreak for all. We are crying tears and sending prayers for healing. |:||r||:||r||:|
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 7 November, 2011
    This made mommy so sad and mommy wanted to post this: Mommy has a flight attendant friend for an airline. She said that while some airlines 'do their best' with animals (airline employees have pets too) the simple truth is that animals out of your sight are at risk. There are just too many things that can go wrong, especially with all the new security issues. Mommy said this flight attendant won't let her own cats travel cargo..and that says something. Please look at other ways of getting your cat or dog or other creature to where he or she needs to be. We are so sorry for Jacks family. Having lost a beloved cat to Fatty Liver Disease, our hearts ache for him...and for whatever else happened....so so so not fair. We send lots of purrs and comfort to Jacks mom and we know Cee Cee Ryder Knowles and Louie and Miss Charlotte are all there with Alex and all the other Rainbow Bridge cats to welcome Jack to 'the other side'. lots of love from Debbie, Jim and the KG cats
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 7 November, 2011
    This is why we were SO happy when Ingen's mom hired a vehicle transport to get her to her new home when she was accidentally separated during their trip. It worked out so well and the company was excellent!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 7 November, 2011
    Sweet Jack - you are flying free at the Rainbow Bridge now, no longer in pain. We know your meowmy is hurting at loosing you, so you must learn how to visit her in her dreams and send her some Rainbow Kitty Love. All of us New Orleans Kitties send purrs and soft paw pats to Jack's family and friends. Bless everyone who looked for Jack, purred and prayed and to the vets and their staff who treated him. The New Orleans Kitties
  • Mary DubuissonMary Dubuisson Member Posts: 296
    edited 7 November, 2011
    That's so sad to hear! We were sending love and purrs Jack's way, as I'm sure many of you all were too. Jack will make many new friends at the rainbow bridge. I'm sure he's up there playing with all the others that have gone. |/a/|
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 8 November, 2011
    RIP Jack. People send cats by cargo , including internationally, all the time. Was this just a problem with AA, or is it a comon problem whatever the carrier? I am thinking of relocating, and this issue is of concern to me. I have never heard of cats being lost in international travel, from pet owners or breeders. This news is simply heartrending. However I can say it, I am so sorry for Jack and his owners.
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 8 November, 2011
    Harvey, there is a list somewhere (I've lost the link)of "incidents" involving animals shipped in cargo. I didn't read it because I know I would't be able to tolerate knowing the horror. I do remember reading of one cat who was placed in cargo next to a large dog who, frightened, never stopped barking. The poor cat was DOA, probably from the stress. I know you're in Japan, and if you're thinking of relocating to the U.S., flying or sailing would be your only options, and either would be traumatic. No companion animal should ever fly in the cargo hold - dark, scary, noisy - I can't imagine the trauma. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Barbara FruinBarbara Fruin Member Posts: 614
    edited 8 November, 2011
    Please see the Forums thread under "Laws and Legislation" concerning "Jack the Cat Law". You can sign the petition to make the airlines provide GPS collars on transported pets. Go to the "animals" page, the "popular" tab, and "today" tab on http://www.change.org Please sign if you can!!
  • Debra HoffmannDebra Hoffmann RidgewoodMember Posts: 1,174
    edited 9 November, 2011
    http://www.thirdamendment.com/animals-month-by-month.pdf If you go to the US Dept of Transportation, you can also see month by month reports on accidents, injury and death to animals in cargo. Animals in cargo are just that...cargo. They are treated as such, not as beloved pets or companions or family members.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 10 November, 2011
    My heart has been so heavy since I read this yesterday. I was so happy that he had been found. This makes me so angry as it was such a senseless loss.